Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Question How do I break my family from fast food

I really want to change my diet I eat way to much fast food and I am worried I may be headed for a heart attack at mid thirties. Personally I feel I can make the change pretty easy because I'm focused on the positive effects. However, I am a full time college student I live with my parents and it makes it very difficult to change because I have no job or money to pay for my own food. So the house is always full of junk food and it makes it near impossible for one single person to change his diet when he is surrounded by people eating bad food. To make things worse my parents are stubborn they refuse to change no matter what I tell them.

This frustrates me because they are so pig headed it's gonna take something very bad to happen health wise to change them. It's become so bad every time I eat a meal with them I feel as if I am cutting my life a year shorter.

offer to cook them dinner if they buy what you ask for

Deleted
    I dont understand why they wouldn't just buy what you wanted to eat along with their own, since you should be cooking it because you're not eating the same as them so its just a nuisance on them to make your dinner seperately, it wont cost more than what they're spending on you now.

Try offering to make them dinner and prepare food if they get it?

Deleted
    Like said. Cook some food for them that will change their view on food

Quote Originally Posted by Scotia View Post
    I dont understand why they wouldn't just buy what you wanted to eat along with their own, since you should be cooking it because you're not eating the same as them so its just a nuisance on them to make your dinner seperately, it wont cost more than what they're spending on you now.
    I have no problem cooking my own food. I have tried that but I don't think they like it because it deviates from the norm. We are creatures of habit after all. Also it does cost slightly more but very little.

---------- Post added 2012-01-28 at 05:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sollidie View Post
    Like said. Cook some food for them that will change their view on food
    I would love to do this. But my mom is kinda the kitchen queen and has always cooked the food. I know the instant I try to cut in sparks will fly!

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, unfortunately it usually takes something bad to happen to cause people to change bad habits. Smokers don't usually quit unless a cancer scare comes up, or something similar. If they aren't motivated to change their habits themselves the only thing I can suggest is possibly getting a part time job and trying to improve your own health first. They may take a look at how well you're doing and respond in kind, but that's very wishful thinking to be honest.

You could always try out a part time job. That's usually what people tend to do when they desire something that other people aren't buying for them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    I have no problem cooking my own food. I have tried that but I don't think they like it because it deviates from the norm. We are creatures of habit after all. Also it does cost slightly more but very little.
    Heh, it doesn't matter if they dont like it though. Do what that guy said. Get a job, pay digs, buy and cook your own food.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    You could always try out a part time job. That's usually what people tend to do when they desire something that other people aren't buying for them.
    It is damn hard to find a job in my town. Let alone part time. I live in Bakersfield California and I just seen on the news a few days ago we rank 7th in the entire country for hardest place to find a job. Not only that but I am a math/physics major which means I have to take some very hard classes that require a lot of time. So while I would love a part time job I know it would effect my grades in class.

I guess there just is no easy way out for me. Just a rock and a hard place situation =/

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah that definitely is a rough situation. It's very sad that in this country it costs more to eat and live healthy than it does to eat out and get fat. The big corporations, especially the medical ones that benefit doubly from it, love that fact and thrive on it, and don't intend to let it change any time soon. If you just absolutely can't find a way to get your own food, try to pick through the things that they do buy and find the healthier choices amongst them and eat those.

Deleted
    you cant change your parents dont even try, they are at the point in there life where they have a child at college, so they will eat and drink whatever they want

The biggest junk misconception going around is that junk food is "cheaper.". As a result most people, thinking they'll save money in doing so, will slack on cooking proper meals under this false assumption.

So I would advise you to save up some money if you work, or allowance if you don't and shatter that misconception for them. Make a healthy, satisfying, delicious meal for a fraction of the cost of fast food just to show them how much money they can save.

It is damn hard to find a job in my town. Let alone part time. I live in Bakersfield California and I just seen on the news a few days ago we rank 7th in the entire country for hardest place to find a job. Not only that but I am a math/physics major which means I have to take some very hard classes that require a lot of time. So while I would love a part time job I know it would effect my grades in class.

I guess there just is no easy way out for me. Just a rock and a hard place situation =/
    Job situation is bad, but it's doable. How low are you willing to go? Plenty of Fast Food joints are happy to take on a dishwasher.

I really want to change my diet I eat way to much fast food and I am worried I may be headed for a heart attack at mid thirties. Personally I feel I can make the change pretty easy because I'm focused on the positive effects. However, I am a full time college student I live with my parents and it makes it very difficult to change because I have no job or money to pay for my own food. So the house is always full of junk food and it makes it near impossible for one single person to change his diet when he is surrounded by people eating bad food. To make things worse my parents are stubborn they refuse to change no matter what I tell them.

This frustrates me because they are so pig headed it's gonna take something very bad to happen health wise to change them. It's become so bad every time I eat a meal with them I feel as if I am cutting my life a year shorter.
    Your paranoia over this is doing a lot more damage than eating fast food 3 times a day. Our bodies are strong, unless your an athlete it doesnt really matter. Aside from genetics, you can eat whatever you want, just cant expect your body to preform at its max.

If your on the plump side and dont do a lot of physical activity it may not be the best choice, but for active people its no biggie.

You could fake a health scare. Say you went to the hospital and they told you you must change or make up some horrible health story.
    Morally it might be wrong but you're changing their diets and making your lives better - that's not so bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Explain to them in detail how fast food is more expensive than cooking your own meals?
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

McDonald's is always hiring, no excuses really

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotia View Post
    I doubt that is true good for you shit costs roughly double what cheap bad for you stuff doesn't. To OP if you are concerned about having a heart attack theres plenty you can do yourself see your doctor it's normal for people in their 30's to see their doctor on a somewhat regular basis I see mine every 6 months just to make sure nothing gets out of whack. If your worry has any validity I'm sure he can help you figure out a way to compensate.

Deleted
    pick up some cheap ingredients and cook them up a quick meal, show them it can be tasiter and cheaper than fast food.