Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Going healthy includes cutting out a lot of gluton. People love that stuff, maybe transition with a flavorful meal and bread.

The savings + "tastes better" is a heck of combo, hope you can cook something that tastes better than my chicken strips in ranch/buffalo, curley fries get the sour cream

Invest in a pair of running shoes and start exercising when you have the time to offset the unhealthy food until you can move out and change your diet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Okay I agree I will try to cook something tasty, nutritious and cheap for my family to try an sway them. Anyone got ideas for a good meal?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Explain to them in detail how fast food is more expensive than cooking your own meals?

but unless they are struggling for money them selves this probably wont change much. changing someone elses eating habit is very hard, they probably wont change until something happens to one of them due to eating this bad food.

---------- Post added 2012-01-29 at 03:42 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    Okay I agree I will try to cook something tasty, nutritious and cheap for my family to try an sway them. Anyone got ideas for a good meal?
    Stir frys are always cheap and tasty well at least i like doing them :P not sure on any recipies though :\

Don't bother your parents.
    Tell them the food you want to have so they can get it from the store, and cook it yourself.
    Or better yet, go to store with your parents and pick out the food yourself, for your self.

Your parents don't need you to take care of them, until they can't take care of themselves. They want junk food, let them have it.
    It is possible that one of them would like better food, and once you start cooking, that parent may eat with you.

But don't make your diet their problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Invest in a pair of running shoes and start exercising when you have the time to offset the unhealthy food until you can move out and change your diet.
    But even then you are still not getting all the positive nutrients you should.

White rice, good seasoned steak (rice has to absorb), almost burnt vidalia onions (carmelized). Maybe some red/green peppers sauteed if you need more flavor.
    Last edited by chadwix; 2012-01-29 at 03:47 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Font View Post
    McDonald's is always hiring, no excuses really

the one nearest to me isn't currently hiring, and when they are theres usually a lot of people applying for it because jobs are pretty scarce atm where i live at this time of year. OPs place might be the same, a lot of people going after each job, the OP is at college a lot so not very flexible with hours so they hire someone else instead who can work more hours.

Move to any other country. Problem fixed.

Since there is actually something called minimum wages here. You cant pay your employees slave labour wages here in norway, piece of shit resturants like Mcdonalds cost pretty much the same as all resturants. Junk food wont save you much money.

One tiny menu is around 18 dollars, which is hillarious. Cus who eats that shit anyway.

One a serious note, I know this is confusing for most Americans, but make your own food. Just tell them to buy meat, vegetables and other groceries from the local wallmart or whatever for you and let your parents eat all the garbage they want.

We'll it's not gonna be easy and nothing worth doing is easy but I'll take some of these suggestions and give them a shot. Gonna try to cook them a good meal for them. If that does work out then I will just go with them to the store and pick out my own food that is on par or cheaper than the regular food. With a little research on balanced diet meals and food prices I think I can make the latter work.

But even then you are still not getting all the positive nutrients you should.
    Positive nutrients? lol

Carbs, protein, fat and vitamins mate. Dont get all hippy bullshit on us.

There was a great cartoon that showed an angry couple in heated discussion. The husband was trying to be level headed explaining what needed to be done. She countered, " Stop interrupting my emotional outbursts with appeals to reason."

The problem here is you are trying to be good and healthy. Your parents are set in their ways, habits, and emotional dependence on the "comfort foods." Junk food is processed and marketed to be addicting.

You can't argue with logic against this irrational mindset.

What you can do is work on their level and find those things and ways that will appeal to their appetites. Start small. Ask if you can try new foods because you are curious how they taste. See if they are willing to experiment as an adventure. Try to make it a mystery, something interesting, exciting and fun.

Make it a game somehow so they don't feel forced, but that they are helping in your growth and education. Appeal to any guilt they have as your parents to do what is right by you. They are responsible for your health.

Gonna try to cook them a good meal for them.
    Cook yourself a meal first, if you dont like it, there is no way they will

Keep in mind, if you push crap at them, its not a selling point on a diet change.

Quote Originally Posted by Comby View Post
    Positive nutrients? lol

Carbs, protein, fat and vitamins mate. Dont get all hippy bullshit on us.
    Vitamin A, C, B12 and D.
    Omega3 fatty acids with good cholesterol.
    Fiber
    Zinc
    Iron

That's a very short list as I am not a nutritionist but fast food places are notorious for having food lacking in vitamins and minerals.

Subscribe to this bloggers site, she posts a recipe a day. Though she is vegetarian, her spirit and food sense is incredibly appealing.

http://catesworldkitchen.com/

Vitamin A, C, B12 and D.
    Omega3 fatty acids with good cholesterol.
    Fiber
    Zinc
    Iron

That's a very short list as I am not a nutritionist but fast food places are notorious for having food lacking in vitamins and minerals.
    You get most of that from your daily vitamin. Your family takes a multi and fish oil daily? Omega3's are showing to actually be beneficial unlike the crap we hear naturists push daily. No fdaa approval = straight to marketing.

http://catesworldkitchen.com/

She needs to open her own place, very talented. Polishing the turd so to speak
    Last edited by chadwix; 2012-01-29 at 04:19 AM.

Have you seen the movie "Supersize Me"? It really is a fear tactic type of thing, but it is effective. I was put off of McDonald's for a good time after that.

Besides that, the suggestion of cooking for your family is a great one. My family cooks most every day and we're in pretty good shape. It's making me dread college a bit, to leave behind the delicious fare.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclejesse
    I'm not very nice and think I will stay away from the forums for a week to calm down
    (Note: This post might have been edited by Boubouille)
    My characters Bintah and Alicia

Quote Originally Posted by brendonater View Post
    offer to cook them dinner if they buy what you ask for
    I really like this idea, usually when people don't want to cook their own food it is because they don't wan't to take the time because fast food is just easier. A lot of people have this idea that it is cheaper too so maybe you can show them how much they would save by cooking it yourself.

My family is in the same situation, they just eat whatever they feel like eating. I am the only one that works out and eats healthy food in my family; I had to get a job to pay for all my own meals because my parents didn't want to buy healthy food. I think the Gandhi quote "be the change you want to see in this world" fits perfectly too; Since I have been eating healthy for several years now and working out my family are starting to have a change in mindset and my dad started working out and my sister wants to eat healthier.

Even if your family doesn't change you could find a job and change yourself and maybe later on your family will change their mind about it also. Try finding a job at your college they usually will work around your class hours which would be perfect.
    Last edited by worprz; 2012-01-29 at 04:28 AM.

try to convince them to go to market with them and buy some cheap healthy meal (there r many like chicken,vegetables etc) and buy those meals with the money which your parents r already paying to those junk food...

My sister tried to do this once, but it's kind of different in my case, as my family cooks every night, but the food we cook isn't necessarily healthy.

My sister is one of those 'cultured' people, who likes to eat food that reflects that, and she got tired of the dinners we prepare (which are good, because my dad is an excellent chef)

This didn't sit well with me, because I'm a picky eater, and I literally won't touch most of the shit my sister wants my dad to prepare.

So I didn't eat.

My dad got concerned.

And we went back to our usual diet.
    If I can't be the sex symbol, then I can definitely be the BITCH