Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Just embrace the cheese burger bro.

Deleted
    first of all there is no scientific proof that junk food or fat food in general is related to heartattacks. It's all made up bullshit.
    most heart attack patients have very low cholesterin. then there is nothing like "bad" food.

the question you should ask do i digest the food well and is the food of high quality when the fast food you're confronted with offers both of those things then it's a perfectly healthy meal. Do not fall for this brainwashing food propaganda bull shit. It's a billion dollar industrie interested in you believing this shit don't fall for it.

assuming 3 ppl

3 servings of meat ~ 5 dollars
    3 baked potatos with butter ~ 2 dollars
    3 side slads with salad dressing ~ 2 dollars
    grand total of ~9 dollars

3 cheap meals at mcdonalds ~12 dollars

save up about 20 dollars and go buy some food and make them a good steak dinner

10+ Year Old Account
    You need some kind of income, scour the web, try something and then use it to fund a little midnight Kitchen cooking self teaching habit.

I actually did this, I'm doing commission drawings for 5bucks and it funds my own food in a house where ...well my mother is a great and often times very healthy cook contrary to your own, but she uses ingredients I think are giving me a small bit of digesterory problems and there's no reasoning with her, so I've just had to put my foot down and let me handle all my own shiz during the late evenings when everyone is sleeping, Laundry, cooking, cleaning, the likes.
    One day when I can afford to move out that'll change but you need to take initiative here, she can't SLEEP in the kitchen, and there are ways to make money, setup a paypal account and do something wacky on the internet. And the internet also has a wonderful amount of 'how to cook' guides, just think of something you'd like to eat, and make it, anything. Start simple with things like pasta or rice dishes, they're the easiest to get down.

The more confident you get at it, the easier it will be to cook for them!
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

The bad part is eating healthy and cheap don't usually go hand in hand.Getting your parents to eat healthy will not happen overnight.Maybe get them to substitute a hamburger for a turkey burger.Change the fries to apple slices or a small salad.

Baby steps.
    "Chaos boils in my veins."

Quote Originally Posted by Maleagant View Post
    The bad part is eating healthy and cheap don't usually go hand in hand.Getting your parents to eat healthy will not happen overnight.Maybe get them to substitute a hamburger for a turkey burger.Change the fries to apple slices or a small salad.

Baby steps.
    all depends were you live. if you have access to grow your own garden grow one saves you a ton of money.

So I didn't eat.

My dad got concerned.

And we went back to our usual diet.
    Oh, you'll eat when you get hungry. And then that first bite has got to be the best bite of food you've eaten in your life.

Too bad your dad gave in to your stubborn stupidity; by giving into it, he actually took away an opportunity not only for you to change your terribly rude manners, but also for you to explore so, so much more beautiful flavours and experiences. I feel sorry for your loss, I honestly do. It's not too late, you know.

Hmm... A healthy and good meal...
    Here's a thought:
    Chicken leg brazed in a bacon/mandarin jus. You just put legs of chicken in an oven dish or romertopf, cook some smoked and diced bacon (about 250 grams), add a mandarin per leg of chicken to the cooking bacon, add some gelatin, a few tea-spoons of five-spice, and stir.
    Then poor that mixture with the legs of chicken. Put the thing (lidless) under the grill in the oven (about 200 degrees celsius) and wait till done.

Meanwhile, chop yourself some mushrooms, taugé, cooked pak choy, paprika (not powder; the fruit), onions.
    Stir-fry the onions until they're glazy. Add chopped mushrooms and chopped paprika. Stir-fry some more (don't need much oil; only a drip), and add the taugé (beansprouts). Lastly, add the pak choy. Add sambal to taste. If you want to be fancy, mix it with some oystersauce.

Serve one leg of chicken per person, with the stir-fried vegs and simple white rice. It's not that expensive, and quite easy to make.

Edit: Prices.
    Gelatin: Not sure, but for so little: Not much.
    Bacon: E 0.79
    1KG of leg of chicken: E 3,-
    200 grams of taugé: 80 cents or something?
    Paprika: 60 cents
    mushrooms: another 80 cents
    Onion: 10 cents maybe
    Pak Choy: Ehm.. not sure; a euro? And then you've got enough for two meals, so let's say 50 cents.
    Oyster sauce: 1,20.

Total price: ~7,20, not counting the rice (which I always buy in large 6-kilogram bags... Let's say 80 cents worth of rice for a 4-person meal), that puts you on 8 euros. That's 2 euros per person. 2 euros! Try matching THAT with fast food!

Edit: I completely forgot about the mandarins. So let's add ten cents per person.
    Last edited by Stir; 2012-01-29 at 05:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterTrompete View Post
    first of all there is no scientific proof that junk food or fat food in general is related to heartattacks. It's all made up bullshit.
    most heart attack patients have very low cholesterin. then there is nothing like "bad" food.

the question you should ask do i digest the food well and is the food of high quality when the fast food you're confronted with offers both of those things then it's a perfectly healthy meal. Do not fall for this brainwashing food propaganda bull shit. It's a billion dollar industrie interested in you believing this shit don't fall for it.
    You must be a franchisee or part owner of a Mc'Donalds or something because everything you said is useless propoganda promoting fast food. Junk food or fatty food has had direct corolation with heart attacks (and disease) and there is waaaaaay more evidence to support that than what you're trying to sell us. OP wants to change his life, why lie to him to keep him unhealthy?

You said your parents were really stubborn about changing their habits? I've been around these type of people and tbh, it's close to impossible to get them to change their eating habits, especially at an older age. That however can't stop you from trying and I guess the best approach would be to tell them you worry immensely about their health.

Just gotta make them like it. Find something to cook that makes them say "can i have a piece of that?", and your set.

You dont live in a third world country, your family is eating for taste, not to survive :P

just wait for your parents to die from heart attacks, take your inheritance, and join a gym

10+ Year Old Account
    These suggestions of "cook for them" are all fine and good in theory, but you know it won't work. Situations such as this demand a wake-up call... i.e. medical scare.

Add a teaspoon of digitalis to a salt shaker. Mix it thoroughly. Wait for supper time.

A trip to the ER with chest pains will bring them around.

P.S.
    If it kills them, I apologize in advance.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's easy - set an example.

Stop eating snacks and fast food completely. Stop drinking soda, and limit the juice you drink. Have water with meals.

If you don't have the willpower to do the above, I wouldn't expect them to either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    We'll it's not gonna be easy and nothing worth doing is easy but I'll take some of these suggestions and give them a shot. Gonna try to cook them a good meal for them. If that does work out then I will just go with them to the store and pick out my own food that is on par or cheaper than the regular food. With a little research on balanced diet meals and food prices I think I can make the latter work.
    you live in the US good luck with finding "good for you food" for cheaper. Anything with the term "organic" "gluten free" etc etc has a higher cost than the normal food. I was at the supermarket today in the produce section I'm also a college student with no current income I saw they had little pre done fruit bowl things with pineapple, strawberries, and blue berries I love all three of these fruits and am ready to put it in my cart and I flip it over it's 4.77 for 7 ounces I sighed and put it back. Ruffles chips however are on sale 2 bags for $5. So what did I buy? Neither I ran over to the bananas that are on sale for 54 cents a lb and buy 6 lbs lol. And on that note I want a banana.

---------- Post added 2012-01-29 at 06:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sosleapy View Post
    assuming 3 ppl

3 servings of meat ~ 5 dollars
    3 baked potatos with butter ~ 2 dollars
    3 side slads with salad dressing ~ 2 dollars
    grand total of ~9 dollars

3 cheap meals at mcdonalds ~12 dollars

save up about 20 dollars and go buy some food and make them a good steak dinner
    I don't know where you think those prices you listed are accurate. I live in Indiana and prices here are cheaper than in California where it says he lives Round steak is on sale for 3.78 a lb so for 3 8 oz steaks thats 5.67. 3 potatoes I assume you are wanting the actual baking potatoes they are like $2 a lb so we'll say $3 since they are a little bigger a bag of salad mix is 3.78 a bag. A bottle of Ranch is near $4 for the smaller size. Thats roughly $15.45 not counting if you want more than just lettuce and some shredded carrots in your salad tomatoes or anything like that is extra. Now add the time to this equation, I love working a 8-10 hour day and cooking for 30 minutes. Do you know see why so many people eat cheap fast food?

a major problem in these type of situations is that when people think of "healthy" they think of bad tasting bland nightmarish meals and that's not always true with healthy food.

Stir fry has been mention but there's other stuff

Homemade bread. not the sliced fake stuff I'm talking good hearty flavorful bread check some recipes online

alot of Mexican inspired dishes are good, full of protein, and tasty

heck just about anything is healthy if your making it from scratch it's usually dodging odd chemicals and extra fat

as for recipes have you tried http://www.foodnetwork.com/ ?
    The world was just as bad when you were young as it is today. You only see it now because of your age.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    the thing that broke me from fastfood years ago, was the documentary "Supersize Me" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supersize_me). After watching that I never touched another piece of fast food again.

Identify why, then take it form there.
    You can make clones that are better for almost any fast food crap you can buy to get more healthy food down peoples gullets.
    If it is a lazy thing then you will have an honest to goodness uphill battle to fight.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    I really want to change my diet I eat way to much fast food and I am worried I may be headed for a heart attack at mid thirties. Personally I feel I can make the change pretty easy because I'm focused on the positive effects. However, I am a full time college student I live with my parents and it makes it very difficult to change because I have no job or money to pay for my own food. So the house is always full of junk food and it makes it near impossible for one single person to change his diet when he is surrounded by people eating bad food. To make things worse my parents are stubborn they refuse to change no matter what I tell them.

This frustrates me because they are so pig headed it's gonna take something very bad to happen health wise to change them. It's become so bad every time I eat a meal with them I feel as if I am cutting my life a year shorter.
    Nothing you can do I'm afraid, they are paying for the food and the house so you just have to abide to their rules.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sadly, the food industry (yes, it is an industry) has it figured out. Offer cheap unhealthy food that is borderline addictive vs offering healthy foods that are not only better for you, but often better for the environment.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

I'm sure its been said - i just skimmed.

But next time your parents need to go shopping offer to go for them and pick up healthier choices (take their money ofc xD). That way you know what you are getting and maybe they wouldn't mind since you're the one going and not them.
    Sadly.. like other people have said it is cheaper to just eat crap than try and buy healthy food. No wonder we are having a weight problem in the US. /lesigh