Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    +1 for Dungeon Keeper. Played the shit out of a demo for it I got in a PC Gamer but never could find the full game.

Vagrant Story (PSX) Had a great story, interesting characters, different combat system, interesting crafting system, and great replay value. They even left the end open enough for a sequel "Narrator: And so began the story of the wanderer, the vagrant."

Quote Originally Posted by papaya View Post
    New Renegade was just released
    Played the singleplayer today, its AMAZING. Definatly worth a try

And best of all its FREE

Quote Originally Posted by jahasafrat View Post
    Dungeon Keeper. Spectacular game, I can't remember if it was what you'd call underrated at the time it came out, but it seems to have faded from the memories of many of today's gamers.
    Absolutely amazing game, with a sequel that actually managed to mimic the former's dark humor. But the franchise was bought up and shelved by... EA I think it was. Although I hear there's going to be spiritual successor by some old fans called "War for the Overworld" or something. Looks interesting.

Anyway, two of the most underrated games I can think of:

E.V.O.: Search for Eden (or something), and Sacrifice.

E.V.O. was an interesting little game for the Super Nintendo was, I suppose, much like an older version of Spore. You controlled a creature and obtained evolution points to use for upgrading various body parts, and you took it from the early stages of Earth-life such as fish and amphibians all the way to dinosaurs/reptiles and eventually mammals. You could even remain as a dinosaur in the mammal era if you so chose. Lost countless hours to that game.

Sacrifice is probably one of the best RTS games I've ever played, with an interesting storyline to boot. Hell, one of the gods in the game is voiced by Tim Curry. It probably lacked advertisement, all I know is the only reason I came across it was because my father picked it up cheaply at a store, probably a walmart, many years ago. The game itself was based upon you controlling a wizard, who had various combat spells, and could summon creatures to fight for him, with the spells/creatures being based upon which god you championed in the campaign. You could choose different gods as the story progressed, too, leaving you with an array of creatures from the five different domains (Life, Earth, Air, Fire, and Death). It used a resource system based on 'mana' which limited what you could cast, as well as 'souls' to prevent you from summoning too many creatures, but you could effectively steal other wizards' souls by killing their creatures and converting them (while they could do the same to yours).

Oh, and I just thought of one more. Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest. Sure it had crappy storyline and crappy characters, but some of those soundtracks were AMAZING.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say Fur Fighters for the Dreamcast/PS2. It was such a great third person shooter. The shooting was pretty solid & even though the game was very cartoony, it was adorably fun. Running around fighting cats as a penguin or a dragon, that's solid gold.
    Afro Samurai. One of the most fun adventure/platforming games this generation. I don't even know how to describe how great the gameplay is. Simple to pick up, hard to master. And if you've ever read the comic or seen the show, it follows the source very closely. Do yourself a favor & check it out. I played it on the 360 because I heard the PS3 version wasn't up to par so that's the version I'd suggest.
    Another great gem this generation is Singularity. It's like Bioshock & Half Life met & fucked. Very solid shooting. Frankly better than most AAA shooters I think. It's got elements of time travel & a gravity gun like glove, the story isn't that bad either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aired
    Our raid leader went AFK mid nef attempt and all he said was 'BRB GF's naked'

Deleted
    Just remembered another one, not sure if its well known, dont think its under rated either, but ive not heard many people mention it before. The Dish Washer 1 and 2 on Xbox Live Arcade, Excellent side scrolling hack and slash game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Viertel View Post
    Beautiful game, full of emotional moments, with a really solid story. The core characters fully transform over the course of the game (especially Capell and his descent into chaos) and the ending sequence is tragic.

It's probably, hands down, the single most underrated JRPG of this console series simply because of a bad opening sequence. The rest of the game flows beautifully and the combat system is easy to pick up and enjoyable.
    I didn't think it's opening sequence was bad at all, but I do absolutely agree with everything you said. I really wish more games like it would come out, that was the first one in a very long time that I REALLY enjoyed as an RPG.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moondance View Post
    Gex: Enter the Gecko.

i played gex so much as a kid, cant remember which one, i think it was "gex:undercoer gecko" or something like that, awesome game!

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AshaNeOmah View Post
    Mystical Ninja Starring Goeman for the N64. Not sure it's it's really underrated as much as unknown. Haven't played it in years but I have some great memories of it. Not saying it rivals Mario 64 but it is very similar.

This. MNSG is still my favourite game to date, and alot of my friends look at me funny when I talk about it because they've never heard of it. If they were to port this ame to the 3DS I would die a happy woman.

Deleted
    Sonic Adventure Emerald Coast
    Delta Force 2
    Crash Bandicoot
    Abes Odyssey
    RAYMAN
    Spyro
    Pokemon Originals (Red/blue/yellow etc)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Promethax View Post
    Would the Megaman Zero series be considered under rated?
    To answer your question, no.

But one thing I am noticing about most of these posts is the confusion between an underrated game and a poor selling game. Games like Beyond Good and Evil, Okami, and the above mentioned Megaman Zero games were never underrated. They just sold poorly. Reviewers loved them, but they didn't sell as well as a game their calibre should have.

A game like Dragon Age 2 could be considered underrated. It got reviewed poorly due to being too different from the first (apparently, only Squaresoft can shake up their games), but it is a good game in it's own right.

But for my own to add to this list, I would have to say Resonance of Fate. It came out the same day as Final Fantasy XIII. But I think the bigger problem for it is that it was a hardcore game released in a time when RPG gamers like their games easy. You had to give this game some time to tinker with and figure it out, but once you did, it was more rewarding than most games in recent memory.

BASE WARS on NES
    Last edited by Menedude; 2012-01-31 at 06:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    desert strike, jungle strike, super conflict

10+ Year Old Account
    ....God hand's pretty good, same with Ninja Baseball Batman xD

---------- Post added 2012-01-31 at 12:56 PM ----------

[QUOTE=Stevegasm;15283809]To answer your question, no.

But one thing I am noticing about most of these posts is the confusion between an underrated game and a poor selling game. Games like Beyond Good and Evil, Okami, and the above mentioned Megaman Zero games were never underrated. They just sold poorly. Reviewers loved them, but they didn't sell as well as a game their calibre should have.

A game like Dragon Age 2 could be considered underrated. It got reviewed poorly due to being too different from the first (apparently, only Squaresoft can shake up their games), but it is a good game in it's own right.

But for my own to add to this list, I would have to say Resonance of Fate. It came out the same day as Final Fantasy XIII. But I think the bigger problem for it is that it was a hardcore game released in a time when RPG gamers like their games easy. You had to give this game some time to tinker with and figure it out, but once you did, it was more rewarding than most games in recent memory.[/QUOTE

Megaman Zero is underrated in comparison to X, must admit. But aye, was a great game, same with Okami.
    Howay the lads!

10+ Year Old Account
    Suikoden 1 & 2, Loved those games

Quote Originally Posted by celinamuna View Post
    Golden Axe
    ^ this was an epic game, i had it for amiga 500