New minecraft server help

I started a new server so that my friends and myself can play together

I used MinOS 2 (CRUX) and I'm running it off of Virtualbox
    I can access the admin stuff for the server through the internet, and i have the server set up. The problem I'm having is that no one outside of my local area network can access the server, and I have no idea why thats the reason. I forwarded the Port with my router, made sure that outside connections can access it, had all firewalls down to test it, and made sure there was enough ram and disk space so it could run.

I have spent over 5 hours non-stop trying to find out whats going wrong and troubleshooting, and i have tried the main website of both Virtualbox and MineOS CRUX. And it really doesn't help that i am not at all familiar with Linux....

So I'm wondering if anyone could help me with this situation, or if i should just make a basic server with the server download off of the Minecraft website.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated
    If you truly read and think about it, this explains the reason for an immense amount of things...
    -nobody panics when things go "according to plan", even if the plan is horrifying! If tomorrow i tell the press if a gang-banger will get shot or a truck load of soliders will be blown up; no body panics. Its all apart of "The Plan". But if i say that one, little, old mayor will die, well then everyone losses their minds!
    "Those that criticize our generation forget who raised it"

Just go with the basic server download from minecraft.net, its what i used when i had friends who wanted to play and never had any issues, even with 5-6 people on it together

Why are you running it from a virtual machine? You'll have a much easier time running it directly on the pc you're using. Assuming you're using windows, you can download Minecraft_Server.exe from http://www.minecraft.net/download, put it in a folder on your desktop (call it something obvious like "Minecraft Server") and then just run it. In that folder it will create all the files it needs including the config file. Then you just forward the port that Minecraft uses to the IP of the computer on your local network that you're doing this on.

Doing that will give you the basic server for you and friends to play on. If you're feeling adventurous, try using Bukkit to give you many more options.
    Last edited by Wozarib; 2012-02-05 at 06:23 AM.