Poll: What is the best currently running dramatic series?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[TV] Best Dramatic Series (long running)

I keep seeing the "Best TV Show" thread and the choices are not exactly what I would consider appropriate. For one, it is hard to call anything the best when you are comparing several different styles of shows. Also, the options left off many people's choices.

The intent here is to put up a poll after a short option gathering period. I know that I will leave off some shows, so I do not want to go ahead and make the poll. I also said more than a single season because there are some great shows that either only have one season or are just starting out (GoT, Spartacus).

In order from IMDB:

The Wire
    Breaking Bad
    The Sopranos
    Twin Peaks
    Dexter
    Oz
    Deadwood
    Downton Abbey
    Six Feet Under
    Battlestar Gallactica
    X-Files
    Mad Men
    Boardwalk Empire
    Justified
    The West Wing
    Doctor Who
    The Shield
    House M.D.
    Sons of Anarchy
    The Walking Dead
    Star Trek: The Next Generation
    Star Trek
    Supernatural
    Prison Break
    Friday Night Lights
    Fringe
    Lost
    Farscape
    Buffy
    The Mentalist
    CSI
    Chuck
    True Blood
    Damages
    Castle
    Rome
    Carnivàle
    Stargate
    Homicide: Life on the Street
    Sherlock

That is pretty much IMDB's list of drama series that are over an 8.0 rating. Please let me know if there is something major missing. Looks like some damned fine viewing right there.
    Last edited by Roose; 2012-01-30 at 02:02 AM.
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    Only seen five of the shows listed. I'm going with Dexter.

ROME should be on that list

I like supernatural but its too much seasons to begin from 0, make me lazy.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's Downton Abbey not Downtown. Out of that list, Breaking Bad and The Wire are probably the best dramas. A bunch of those are very episodic and don't really count in my opinion.

Damages.

Why do people ignore this amazing show?

10+ Year Old Account
    castle should be on that list too, ooh, and firefly both listed as drama, castle with 8.3 on imdb, firefly with a very deserving 9.3
    from them, i've seen house, mentalist, doctor who (which season? :P ), buffy, true blood and lost, i'd probably go with either house or the mentalist, but all the ones i've seen are awesome

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    Tie between The Walking Dead and Supernatural for me. Though I really haven't watched that many shows on your list.

Prison Break 100% IMO

Anyone who hasn't seen it, I recommend checking it out on netflix

Its about 80 episodes, 4 seasons long. The best TV series I will see or ever see, bar none.

Just a quick summary: (no spoilers inc)

A man named Lincoln Burrows goes to jail for the murder of the vice presidents brother, a Man named Michael Scofield, gets put in the same prison (He is a structural Engineer) to Free the man, before his execution.

Really good show.

Edit: I am a TV show fanatic, I go through an Entire Series of a show in about 1 week, some of the longer shows 2.

I finished the entire House M.D series in 2 weeks.

I have seen roughly 70% of the shows listed.

I stand by Prison Break, has I have seen the entire series seven times >.> I might be an addict.
    Last edited by Dupree; 2012-01-29 at 10:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am adding them in as you say them.

I am not putting Firefly up there because we all know how much everyone here loves it. But, it is not really in competition because it only has one season, sadly. I have no doubts that it would likely win on these forums. Great show, just not enough to go on compared to others.

Again, I will put a poll up soon. I want to try and include as many options as possible and not leave stuff out.

To everyone out there, I assure you that all of these shows are great. If you have not seen any of these they will not waste your time. I have not seen all of them, that is one reasons I am doing this. I want to see what shows I should pick up next. Dramatic series are one of my favorite things in this world. I love them
    Last edited by Roose; 2012-01-29 at 10:17 PM.
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    i gotta say Walking Dead much different perspective than an average zombie story

you already have the the wire and six feet under on that list those are probably the best series of all time just based on the strength of the writing and quality of the acting.

Deleted
    In Treatment (IMDb 8.3 - Season 1 is pure genius) and Carnivale (IMDb 8.8) are missing imo, other than that its a very complete list. Twin Peaks, The Wire and Six Feet Under are my favorites.
    Last edited by mmoc77cd96e260; 2012-01-29 at 10:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    I am not putting Firefly up there because we all know how much everyone here loves it. But, it is not really in competition because it only has one season, sadly. I have no doubts that it would likely win on these forums. Great show, just not enough to go on compared to others.
    it was 1 season and a movie :P

and your thread title was a little confusing at first, at first i was like: did he mean over it's first season, over one particular season, and now your meaning comes forth (to me who skimread op) to mean that has more than 1 season (so you mean established)
    Last edited by Rixis; 2012-01-29 at 10:24 PM.

Prison Break, for sure. I just kind of gave it a try on Netflix not expecting all that much but I was wowed...needless to say I had watched all 4 seasons in about a week's time, the most addicting series I've ever watched and it's really easy to get into. The acting, overall, is freaking amazing and really makes you feel like you have to escape with them. Runner-up for me would be 24, that is equally engaging but after a 3 or 4 seasons I felt the writing really went downhill and it got old...the same damn things kept happening every season, you could see it coming from a mile away. Still, those are on Netflix too, I believe, so if you haven't seen that either start with the beginning season. I did like Sopranos too but I just haven't seen enough episodes to really say.

I probably haven't even seen half the shows on that list as a lot of them are just too repetitive and things like Lost which is a horrible pile of poop from the episodes I've seen and most Sci-fi shows that aren't Firefly or Star Trek are just too hard for me to get into, because they are usually kinda cheesy.

I've seen most of the shows on this list and only feel 4 are "great" shows:

Lost
    Breaking Bad
    Dr. Who
    House

also another great show that isn't on the list: Carnivàle

It only aired 2 of the planned 6 seasons, was cancelled because it was costing HBO far to much an episode to make, such a shame... one of the best dramas ever imo.
    Last edited by Redmage; 2012-01-29 at 10:35 PM.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    also another great show that isn't on the list: Carnivàle

It only aired 2 of the planned 6 seasons, was cancelled because it was costing HBO far to much an episode to make, such a shame... one of the best dramas ever imo.
    That was why I did not list it, but I will anyways.

---------- Post added 2012-01-29 at 04:49 PM ----------

What would be the preferred selection option? I think boxes would be better than buttons because I know how hard it is to just pick one.

I am more curious to see the acceptance of each show and just how many people think each one is great. If that makes sense...
    I like sandwiches

Justified...hands down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lylyth View Post
    Justified...hands down.
    Very excited to see the new season. I really liked the second season. Some great characters. I recall after the first episode thinking that it was going to be real tough to make a whole modern series around high-noon type standoffs, but damned if they didn't do it.
    I like sandwiches