Thread: PuTTy Problems.

PuTTy Problems.

Is anyone familiar with the program "PuTTy"? I'm attempting to learn the program, but I'm getting increasingly frustrated with it. I'm doing an assignment where I have to login to a server with PuTTy, and do an assignment...but I'm having difficulty connecting to the server. I have downloaded a legitimate copy of PuTTy. I have entered the correct Host Name (or IP address), the correct Port, connection type: SSH, Close window on exit: only on clean exit. Then I click Open. Then the PuTTy screen is black, and doesn't enable me to input anything. And then I get an error: "Network Error: Connection timed out". My first attempt that I tried today, I was able to enter my username, and password...but my password was incorrect over eight times, and I know I entered it correctly.

What am I doing wrong? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. If it matters, I'm running Win 7, and attempting to connect to a Linux server.

Talk to the instructor. There isn't much to it, verify the port number and try both ip address and host, try pinging the host to see if you can reach it as well.

Well, first of all PuTTy is a free program so there's no legal/illegal way to get it .

This looks like a network issue on your side or there is a network problem on the server where you're connecting to. Recheck the port and host name/IP as well.

Some SSH servers are configured to decline log on if you fail password once. In this case you will need to reconnect and not try to enter the password again as it will fail anyway. Passwords are case sensitive so make sure you are using proper case.

Also if you have connections preset in PuTTy (you saved them before in a list) make sure to press Load button before pressing connect as just selecting the connection is not enough (very annoying).

Doesn't matter what OS you run, should work, I'm using PuTTy for my work (system admin) and it works just fine, never had a problem with it although I prefer SecureCRT due to tabbed windows, they give a trial so you might try that out too.
    "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyx View Post
    try pinging the host to see if you can reach it as well.
    Yeah, good idea. My results: "Pinging [IP] with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Recieved = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss).

Sooooo I guess their server is down. Awesome.

Putty is an extremely simple interface for ssh and telnet, nothing more. Make sure your caps lock isn't on, you're not mistaking an "i" for an "l" or a 1, and if all else fails ask the professor to reset your password and verify your account is active.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Definitely just verify the host name with your instructor. Have you connected to your school's VPN first as well?

I just connect to my school's VPN, then open Putty and type in the host name ( e.g. blahblah.ucwhatevs.edu ) and I am good to go. The default port is usually already entered for you.

Server don't need to respond to ping to be up, many of them are actually configured not to and ignore many parts of ICMP traffic.

This may or may not be the sign of a problem .
    "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

yeh sounds like you did everything right and there server is down it looks like. Good luck, hopefully the assignment isn't due tonight!!

Quote Originally Posted by Syctris View Post
    yeh sounds like you did everything right and there server is down it looks like. Good luck, hopefully the assignment isn't due tonight!!
    Yeah, it's not...but it's due Monday at 1PM. >.>

In regards to caps lock / 0 instead of o / etc, I'm 100% positive the information is accurate.

Any other ideas that I could do to fix this problem? =/

EDIT: Remember, I'm not even getting to the password / my username phase right now. I can enter the host IP, click "open", and I get a black screen, followed by an error shortly.
    Last edited by icedwarrior; 2012-01-30 at 03:27 AM.

Well, either the server is down or there is network problem.

Maybe ask one of the friends that have same assignment and see if they were able to connect?

Quote Originally Posted by Wromthrax View Post
    Well, either the server is down or there is network problem.

Maybe ask one of the friends that have same assignment and see if they were able to connect?
    I "e-mailed" all of my classmates, waiting for a response. I just tried "WinSCP", an alternative to PuTTy...it's timing out trying to connect to the same place...so...I'm out of ideas.

Are you trying to connect from home? The server may only be accessible on university grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Are you trying to connect from home? The server may only be accessible on university grounds.
    Yes, I am trying to connect from my home. The professor explicitly stated that we'd be able to work at home, so that is not the case.

HI,

Sorry to ask this in your thread but but I am a real noob. I can not get Putty to move on . After I fill in my IP and click open the black screen comes up and sits there until it times out. I just want to add a name and password so zi can install something on my iphone? Can you help me ?? or point me in the right direction. Thnak you

Deleted
    "Network Error: Connection timed out", means Putty could not connect to the host on the networking level, i.e. the host is not accepting your connection(server down, wrong address, wrong port, you ip being blocked, etc)

My first attempt that I tried today, I was able to enter my username, and password...but my password was incorrect over eight times, and I know I entered it correctly.
    Now this *sounds* like your IP has been blocked after several unsuccessful login attempts and the server won't accept connections from you IP for a certain time as security precaution.
    As to why it didn't accept your password: well it would appear you and the server disagreed on what the correct user name & password combination is. It's also possible that you are are not allowed to login remotely.
    FWIIW here is an ssh option to accept connections only on a key-authentication basis however this doesn't seem to be the case here.

Best thing you can do is get a new IP and double check on the procedure (correct server/port) and your user name and password - if your university has a public page on how to connect it might help to link it here so we can check for any potential pitfalls.
    Last edited by mmoc1a2258818d; 2012-09-29 at 10:28 AM.