Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

So, who is a good writer that knows a lot about GW2?

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01...ars-columnist/

I wish I could do this, but frankly I don't have any previous works to show. I have no blogs that I have worked on and no degrees showing my competence in making coherent thoughts. So, anyone from this lovely forum interested?

vote for Mif

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    vote for Mif
    Take the cookies....... TAKE IT.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    It would take less than a month for everything I write to descend into bitter diatribes about Asuran superiority....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    It would take less than a month for everything I write to descend into bitter diatribes about Asuran superiority....
    That's okay so long as keep all your superiority in parentheses. Kinda like how they do it at cracked.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Keep in mind it's for both Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2. I'd love to do this, but I haven't played Guild Wars 1 enough to be able to even begin to write about it. (20 points into my HoM, too )

Dang...if only I knew more about GW1....
    And had more time

Mif or Maarius would make awesome bloggers. I lack the attention span to do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sadly I never picked up GW. Honestly though, you only have to write 1500 words or less per week.. would be a pretty gravy check. I imagine the pay isn't top notch, but it would be a nice side project I bet.

But, OP! You should go for it if you are really interested. The only sample they ask for is a 500 word column. They don't specify as to what either. All you have to do is pick something interesting to you (preferably about gaming) and write about it. The sample topics is what would hang me up as I've never played the game, if you have I imagine that would be pretty easy.

I say work hard on an ap and send it in. Worst case is you don't get the job and you get a bit more experience writing.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    —Aristotle

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Takanami View Post
    Sadly I never picked up GW. Honestly though, you only have to write 1500 words or less per week.. would be a pretty gravy check. I imagine the pay isn't top notch, but it would be a nice side project I bet.

But, OP! You should go for it if you are really interested. The only sample they ask for is a 500 word column. They don't specify as to what either. All you have to do is pick something interesting to you (preferably about gaming) and write about it. The sample topics is what would hang me up as I've never played the game, if you have I imagine that would be pretty easy.

I say work hard on an ap and send it in. Worst case is you don't get the job and you get a bit more experience writing.
    If only. I really think they should have a seperate writer for GW and GW2 since they are so different, then I would apply. However, I tried GW1 and found it atrocious. I cannot play the original. So because of my lack of GW1 experience I would be giving them half of what they are asking for, at best.

I've put 400 hours into GW1 and I feel like I still don't know much about the game. Really I feel like I'm at the tip of the iceberg still. As others have said I don't know why they don't have different writers considering they're VERY different games.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    However, I tried GW1 and found it atrocious. I cannot play the original
    Finally, I found someone who thinks the EXACT same thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Neglesh View Post
    There are quite a few people who hate it. Frankly it's a game that you either love or hate.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried GW1 and found it atrocious. I cannot play the original.
    Agreed. I can knock out 1500 words a week (with coherent thoughts and such! lol) with no problem what-so-ever, but that's the one niggling (yet ever-important) detail.

I love Guild Wars 1, don't get me wrong. But every time I try to go back and play it (which is, easily, at least once a week) I just can't get into it. I want to -- and I'll sit there and play it for a 7-hour stretch just to prove it -- but it just doesn't click. I don't feel "connected" to any of the characters I make. I'd rather sit there and observe others play PvP matches than actually play myself.

I'd posit that it might be the auto move-to-target functionality and/or the "ability delay" (feels much like what plagues/plagued swtor) that puts me off, but I'm not sure if removing/fixing those would make it better either.

Oh well... *shrug*

Anyone else up for it? lol
    Last edited by Scratches; 2012-01-31 at 06:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neglesh View Post
    While the first GW sold well [& still does I think], it was and is an off beat type of game. Some gameplay elements of GW1 aged poorly or were just too sloppy in the long run.

Not to praise that favored whipping boy of MMOs, but the one thing Warcraft nailed from day 1 is "feel". Just moving around in Warcraft is kinda... joyous.

While other MMOs past and present have had more intricate, interesting [subjective of course], progressive or some other remarkable addition to the genre-- most MMOs from EQ2 to GW1 to Aion, Rift and TOR; never quite get the act of simply playing the game to trigger that pleasure rush of hitting the Heroic Strike key.

Everything in Warcraft feels, tight- visually and psychologically. From the character models being proportioned just so. Or the sound of getting the "CONGRATS!! YOU JUST PRESSED SPACEBAR!!" achievement as you spawn in Durotar. As a display of game design, Blizzard fire on a level which literally has had no equal in the market.

The first GW still has some really inventive ideas and can be loads of fun!. Though the pacing, tightness of design and overall feel are perhaps the most esoteric of all competing games of the era.

Anet have the chance here to really bring in a nice portion of the market. I do hope they do just as a selfish consumer- more options for me = good times. And this is def. the right time to have a game like GW2 out there. Though I somewhat wonder if there will be esoteric elements of Anet design treatment that make it into GW2 which will put off some players.

Anet just kinda do their own thing. Generally speaking, one either digs the vibe or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    You cried when Prince Rurik died
    I hated Rurik so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

Everything in Warcraft feels, tight- visually and psychologically. From the character models being proportioned just so. Or the sound of getting the "CONGRATS!! YOU JUST PRESSED SPACEBAR!!" achievement as you spawn in Durotar. As a display of game design, Blizzard fire on a level which literally has had no equal in the market.
    I do think Warcraft got their responsiveness and control right. Not quite at an FPS level but as close as an mmo could be I think. One thing I will disagree with you are the character models though. I think they look absolutely terrible.

Anyway, if GW2 has the responsiveness that WoW had I think that will go a long way in keeping people happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I will disagree with you are the character models though. I think they look absolutely terrible.
    I think they are awful to look at too. I dislike the whole art style of WoW actually. Cartoony is not a look I enjoy.

I was talking more about why they chose that palette and the reason models are proportioned so. As the way achievements are given with a particularity of feedback/reinforcement. And other such subtleties players take for granted which contribute to the intangible impression of "feel".

Those are debilitate choices of design Blizz made for psychological ends. The depth of the design is really impressive. So much so, it's kinda only present in a few other games regardless of genre.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-02-01 at 12:28 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Some very well put posts Fencers. While WoW has fallen from grace for quite a few of us, it was also the first major mmo for a lot of us as well. I do enjoy the feel of the game itself, but the design choices are what I disagree with and content is majorly lacking for me. That and they just seem to be about money now, which is saddening. WoW was MY game for such a long time, but to feel so done with it now is a very morose feeling. The nostalgia I get alone from WoW is hard to measure. Hell, one quest that got added in Cata killed a friggin kodo of all things, but because I was there since 05 and I remember that damn kodo it actually made me cry. How they can pull that off with such a non character but completely muck up the main story still boggles my mind. I really wish we had the blizzard back from even just 4-5 years ago, but it just isn't the same.

Not to beat a dead horse, but for me it really is the end of an era. And I really do hope that GW2 brings that feeling back. The feeling of adventure, of a brand new world filled with people and places I learn and care about and will try my damnedest to save. I want to care about a game again, that is what I really miss from WoW. I used to really care about that game and what I did in it. Hopefully Arenanet will give this game the heart it needs to really pull people in like WoW did back in 04.

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=24702

The link is for those interested in the aforementioned kodo. Poor Dadanga. =(

The girl finallyyyy getting her dolly back in SW did it for me lol