Deleted

A note on general performance issues.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=2337868

all i can say is:"NICE GUIDE TROLLFACE.JPG"

well at least they admitted a problem with fail engine.

Discuss the topic of the news bulletin. Do not get into some meaningless debate about the engine. - Cula
    Last edited by OhpUldum; 2012-01-31 at 12:24 AM.

Our texture options are High / Low. We are planning an additional setting for character textures, closer to the quality seen in cinematic scenes, which is under development right now.
    -Is this the first announcement of this?

Edit: Also they admitted FPS on Fleets and Warzones are an issue and are working on it. And gave a useful guide to help with other issues players are having. Whats wrong here?
    Last edited by WarFalcon1; 2012-01-30 at 10:28 PM.

To call this a Optimization Guide is kinda silly. They in no way guided me or anyone how to increase their PCs Optimization(ie. Run Virus Scan/Adaware/Spybot, Remove unused programs, make sure your RAM is the right voltage). All they did was explain what the settings mean and SOME of the reasons people MAY be getting some errors. There is nothing about this that says guide to me, as it does not guide me through any steps to do anything in any way.

They could have just said TLR: Turn your settings down and post on forums if your having an issue, we are working on stuff we think is important, your problem may not be a high priority for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    To call this a Optimization Guide is kinda silly. They in no way guided me or anyone how to increase their PCs Optimization(ie. Run Virus Scan/Adaware/Spybot, Remove unused programs, make sure your RAM is the right voltage). All they did was explain what the settings mean and SOME of the reasons people MAY be getting some errors. There is nothing about this that says guide to me, as it does not guide me through any steps to do anything in any way.

They could have just said TLR: Turn your settings down and post on forums if your having an issue, we are working on stuff we think is important, your problem may not be a high priority for us.
    In all fairness the thread on SWTOR was called "A Note on General Performance Issues" not "PC Performance Optimization Guide" like its called here. This title is misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by WarFalcon1 View Post
    In all fairness the thread on SWTOR was called "A Note on General Performance Issues" not "PC Performance Optimization Guide" like its called here. This title is misleading.
    While that may be, what was promised WAS an optimization guide, as per this post:http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...15#edit2212415

10+ Year Old Account
    While that may be, what was promised WAS an optimization guide, as per this post:http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...15#edit2212415
    This is just a note on performance issues. In fact thats the title in the SWTOR forum. Is this the actual guide they promised? I'm not sure it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    For all the people there might be a fps increase fix.. dont hold my word to it tho :P

http://www.swtor.com/de/community/sh...d.php?t=239280

Hallo sparkskaer,

solltest du auf deinem System zusätzlich zu DirectX 11 noch nicht die letzte Version von DirectX 9.0c installiert haben, so könnte dies die Darstellung verbessern. Bei diesem Vorgang werden zum DirectX 11 zusätzliche Programmbibliotheken installiert und weder etwas ersetzt noch überschrieben. Dies kann die FPS jedoch positiv beeinflussen.

Bitte teile uns mit, ob dies zu einer Verbesserung geführt hat. Vielen Dank.
    translates to:

Hello sparkskaer, you should on your system in addition to DirectX 11 not have to have the latest version of DirectX 9.0c installed, so this could improve the peformance. This process will add additional libraries and neither replaces nor will it overwrite the directx 11 files. This can be a positive influence on the FPS, however. Please share with us, whether this has led to an improvement. Thank you very much.
    So for some people installing the dx9 libary helps alot:

reddit link:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/commen...our_framerate/

microsoft link:
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...s.aspx?id=8109

One thing DONT EXTRACT THE FILES TO YOUR DESKTOP!
    Create a folder somewhere first :P.

PS: the guide is wortheless..

Its not even a guide half of it assumes people are dumb (indicating how to change ingame settings). The other half is the complete oposite, while setting up a graphics card profile for most people on these forums probably isnt that hard. There are tons of people who have no clue how to do something like this.

Simply put it took them 4 days to publish this.. it took them 10 minutes to write.
    Also the first post was almost 2 months ago.. I feel like This now
    Last edited by schippie; 2012-01-31 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    This is just a note on performance issues. In fact thats the title in the SWTOR forum. Is this the actual guide they promised? I'm not sure it is.
    Well, they did say the guide was going to be out Monday, I doubt anything else will come out today.

---------- Post added 2012-01-30 at 05:41 PM ----------

Also: http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...15#edit2212415

10+ Year Old Account
    Looking through the Dev tracker, it looks like this is the "Optimization Guide" they said we'd get. They also changed the title, which was something along the lines of "Optimizing your Performance". -Giggity

edit: beat to it above, not sure how I missed it.

I agree, and on that note. A guide floating around today includes updating DirectX 9 files.

First poster on this subject back at launch, who noted significant improvement with FPS by updating DirectX 9 files on his laptop.

This is the DirectX download to fill in the missing Directx 9 files that may not be included with the game, per a customer service rep who posted on the German forum.

Apparently, most games when they install DirectX only install those files they need, not all of them. Even if you have installed DirectX 10 or 11 on your computer, or other games, you might not have the specific files needed. This might help some people resolve some performance issues.

Standing in a busy capital in Rift = 50% ram usage
    Standing in my empty ship in SWTOR = 80% ram usage
    And I have 4 gigs, not too bad.

That seems to be the problem for me. Switching to fullscreen windowed seems to have made closing the game a bit quicker (it could take ages and occasionally crash before), but still overall performance is terrible for me, and I've tweaked every graphics setting.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Thread title has been changed to properly indicate the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by kaishi View Post
    I just read it, they didn't admit anything. Also, the people that expect playable frame rates with big blobs of zergs out there is just wishful thinking. No engine will help with that, it doesn't matter if you can play crysis 2 on ultra. crysis 2 also doesn't have 200 characters on screen at once, people need to understand that.

i'm also not claiming that the engine isn't shit, but people's expectations are way beyond possible.
    Discuss the topic of the news bulletin. Do not get into some meaningless debate about the engine. - Cula
    Then I would like that post deleted like mine was, since we cant talk about the engine.

No, wait I found a workaround:
    It weird SWTOR has FPS problems, when a game like Battlefield 3 which requires more from a computer(or should) then SWTOR does, dosnt seem to have those problems...
    Last edited by psycow; 2012-01-31 at 12:32 AM.