H 10 man Ultraxion shadow dps

Our shadow priest is having problems to push more than 30 k dps in this fight, he keeps telling me he can´t pull more dps without the legendary staff or the t13 4piece.
    I dont´t have any knowdledge of the class so i hope someone here can tell me what he is doing wrong.
    i can´t post a link to his armory, he is Everlásting-ragnaros-us.
    here is a world of logs of the fight worldoflogs.com/reports/8et8xhle2giw3au4/sum/damageDone/?s=6504&e=6866

His dot uptimes are fairly low. He isn't mind blasting as much as he should be. I don't play a spriest but I took ten seconds to sim his character and look at his performance and compare the two. He's simming at 36.5k~ so you should be asking for at least 32k out of him given his gear. Just have him do some research and tighten up his rotation.

Uptime on VT and DP are low considering that he doesn't have four piece.
    He could push a few MB out by stopping his MF cast

i can pull around 30k and i dont have 4 piece, apparently others have said his dot uptimes and mindblast count are low, that would mean lost dps of course. ultraxion is a sit still and dps fight, hit heroic will .2 seconds before you die and continue dpsing, i would be willing to bet he is playing it safe with when he uses heroic will which could definitely lead to dots falling off, or not casting that one mindblast before you use heroic will

He should still be able to pull more than 30k. I had this issue when we were first progression on Ultraxion, though I was still in T12 4set (couldn't use SW: Death on that fightwithout killing myself =P) and about ~392 gear without DI and no legendary. I was JUST under 30k at 29.9k or so. In the gear that he is in without T13 4set, he could be around 32-34k I'd say.

His dot uptimes can be better. 87% for VT and DP is very low (especially if he doesn't have T13 4set, where he may arguably Mind Spike + Mind Blast, but this isn't the case). He might not hit 100% uptime overnight, but a goal of 95%+ would be better (98%+ would be most ideal I'd say). Make sure he doesn't press his button too early so he can get more DPS uptime. Also from the looks of it, the raid comp isn't appear to be too caster friendly (is there a 3% damage buff from the hunter?) Is there a chance your mage could go Arcane for raidwide damage increase?

I'm a little concerned about your Boomkin's damage too. Between the boomie and the spriest, the damage seems quite low =/ Raid DPS needs to be 250k+ I believe, and you guys are sitting at 232k at that attempt, over 18k behind where you need to be. When damage is still low at the start, your healers can be DPSing.
    Last edited by Ellumina; 2012-01-31 at 09:40 PM.

in addition to the low dot uptimes and such, another thing i noticed is he actually missed a mind flay - is he hit capped? or is it a situation where he's at 16.9% and that fight was the one in 10 where he missed a spell?

Buffs look good. You are missing 3%, and DI does a lot to help a Shadow Priest (on the order of 2-3k if your rotation is perfect).

However his DOT and MF uptimes are low. His Mind Blast casts might possibly be low too so check that. Low DOT uptimes doesn't mean he's refreshing too early it means he's letting them fall off and then refreshing them sometimes. Mind Flay - well, that's something that's going to have a low uptime, but his uptime is lower than most. Make sure he knows you can and *should* clip every mind flay after two ticks - it works like a DOT now and you get that extra tick back, like other DOTs.

Of course, if he's still playing like Wrath and refreshing DOTs right after they fall off that won't make sense to him :P

He needs to refresh DOTs 1-2 seconds before they would fall off, no earlier, no later. I believe the window on VT is 2.5 seconds but I could be wrong. DP insta-cast is actually higher DPS than MF (just unsustainable mana cost, doesn't proc Orbs, and doesn't help Dark Evangelism at all) so he can refresh that whenever he likes as long as he doesn't lose the Evangelism buff, although again DOTs are the strongest when you wait till the very last second to recast them.

I see no Volcanic Potion.

Shadow has fairly crappy single target DPS right now, especially if you don't have 4pct13, DI, or a staff, but he could do better. We haven't done many attempts on H ultraxion, but on my normal modes I was doing 32k without 4pct13 and missing half the buffs I need as Shadow.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/wdi01...=28929&e=29172

Deleted
    Checked a log of mine from the same fight, on mine missing 8% magic debuff and DI. I have the 4pc T13, and used a MS spam opener, but still had better uptime on VT and DP than your priest. He's playing wrong, there should be nowhere near that much downtime on his dots. Is he trying not to clip the end of the dot WotLK style, or is he just handling fading/hour of twilight badly? Either way, this seems like a L2P issue, and not using pots on HC attempts, especially a patchwerk fight is unacceptable; he should be using two, one before the pull and one during execute phase. Even so, don't expect his dps to jump hugely, shadow seems to be balanced around multi-dotting and having dots running during phases where you would otherwise lose a lot of dps. On a patchwerk fight like this we can't touch melee.

Here's me pushing 40K dps avg on Ultraxion heroic on our first kill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LzKCETDTFM

And the log:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...=10958&e=11283

Excuses for the terrible music up front, thats just what was playing during the raid

yeah at least 40k ours is reletivly equally geared with a few upgrades compared without legendary and he does 54k

Quote Originally Posted by dumathoinn View Post
    yeah at least 40k ours is reletivly equally geared with a few upgrades compared without legendary and he does 54k
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/...Shadow_Priest/

So you have the best shadow priest in the world AND he doesn't even have the legendary?

Um, what? I'm not even sure this is possible.

Deleted
    Don't have the legendary either as i rolled SP when 4.3 came out. I do however have the 4set T13.. Currently pulling ~40k with the same ilvl as him.
    I suggest you send him to read up on forums or bash is buttons harder :33
    But for a starter get some proper timers for his DoTs and a CD tracker for MB.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pulling random numbers out of your butt doesn't make you cool .

Increase his dot uptime and try to get mind blast in there more and it will go up to 31-32k.

Here's me pushing 40K dps avg on Ultraxion heroic on our first kill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LzKCETDTFM

And the log:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...=10958&e=11283

Excuses for the terrible music up front, thats just what was playing during the raid
    Must be nice to have all the caster buffs, DI, and the staff.
    Last edited by Felade; 2012-02-02 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Felade View Post
    Must be nice to have all the caster buffs, DI, and the staff.
    I got a power infusion too!

Deleted
    The best dps on 10m HC is from a fire-mage with legendary doing 56k, so we're all going to call bullshit on you. Ignoring the seal of truth rets doing 220k dps that is.

15+ Year Old Account
    I do ~40k pretty consistently on heroic 10 ultraxion and I only have 2 pieces of DS upgrades (410 tier shoulders/pants, but that means no 4pT13), I do have a legendary, and I do get DI - but yea I'd guess your spriest should be capable of ~35k without DI. Make sure he knows that keeping his dots up is his top priority, and executing during execute range is second, and triple orb mind blast is third, and mind flay is the lowest (clip it when needed). That's the simplest way to explain shadow - he should also keep archangel/shadowfiend on cooldown the whole fight, and you should bloodlust at the start (just in case people dont know).
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Keep dots up, always use SF and AA, MB after a tick point of MF (usually lines up pretty well), you can cut fading light to 0-1 seconds and barely enter the twilight realm, set up a cancel dispersion macro after you tank hour of twilight, make sure to prepot, and pot during execute if you are casting hero at the start, and make sure to cast SWD when in execute range. That is all I can think of atm, best of luck.

Looking at armory, hes reforged wrong at this stage because hes only using t13 2set. With this he should be taking crit over mastery as mastery will have no effect on SW: D

Logs are buggy for me, its showing a 76% up time on sw: d >.>
    However I'm fairly certain hes missing a few casts during execute as well as an AA.

I'm not sure if you guys reinforce prepotting but he didn't use any pots.

The rest of its mostly been covered.

The other priests in my raid w/o 4set, dtr and di are pulling ~34k (which is still a little low)

Hope this is helpful.

13/13M Jubei'thos - Oceanic 8th - US 53rd