Question about skills/spells

So, reading some (older) stuff about GW2, I noticed that the Devs, like The Secret World devs, said they wanted to let you learn new skills/abilities by exploring/doing events. My friend maintains the devs went away from this and it will not be implemented but cannot provide me with any kind of source.

So I turn to these forums. In GW2, do you start with all your spells/abilities, or will you start with a small but usable toolbox and acquire more through doing 'game stuff', if you will?

Edit: Sources, recent sources, are a very big plus. Thanks!
    Last edited by obdigore; 2012-02-01 at 10:53 AM.

If you're a level 10 warrior, who started with a sword and used nothing else but a sword, you'd probably have learned some attacks, this means you start with only 1 skill and you receive skills when you use your sword.

When you switch to a mace or axe, you will gain (again) 1 skill, continuing to use this skill/weapon will grant you more skills, just like the sword.

So in short; Every time you use a different weapon sort, you start with 1 skill again and you have to use it to master it.

Deleted
    Weapon skills are learned by using a weapon.

As for utility skills, you are collecting "skill points" by performing different challenges located all around the world. When you gather enough skill points, you can purchase a utility skill. To my understanding some of them (all?) will be repeatable.

Of course skills will vary in price, elite ones will obviously cost more (and will have level requirement).

Deleted
    You start off with 1 skill on your weapon and you learn more as you use that weapon, so attacking enemy's grants you more skills. You also start with 1 healing skill, your utility's and elite skill are unlocked as you progress through the game.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Skill_bar

Nifty, I'm assuming it is the same for magic? If I start with my level 1fire spell as I use it I will earn 'fire spell skill' and eventually unlock larger and more powerful attacks?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Nifty, I'm assuming it is the same for magic? If I start with my level 1fire spell as I use it I will earn 'fire spell skill' and eventually unlock larger and more powerful attacks?
    Weapon you choose defines what weapon skills you have, you can still change the utility skills though. Please check: http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/?lang=en and play around.

No amount of explaining can equal to "experiencing" it yourself ;]

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    For casters weapons also define which "spells" you have, but it follows the same trend, you start with 1 ability and work your way towards more as you use them.

I'm at work so I can't really mess around with stuff, but I will check it out when I get home.

Thank you for the information, Forumites.

Also, as of the latest public demo, you could gain all 5 skills on your first weapon prior to leaving the tutorial, so they've sped that up considerably.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by omlech View Post
    Also, as of the latest public demo, you could gain all 5 skills on your first weapon prior to leaving the tutorial, so they've sped that up considerably.
    They might have also just sped it up for the sake of the demo, since players had a limited amount of time and they might have wanted to show off multiple skills. Guess we don't really know at the moment just how quickly/slowly the skills will be unlocked.