Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Is it worth play GW1 now for the crossover benefits?

I never got to play the original GWs but I'm wondering if in anticipation for GW2 that I should play to get the extras that come from your GW1 accomplishments? Thanks for any advice.

no.
    /tenchar.

Infracted; Post constructively next time.
    Last edited by Jovanaar; 2012-02-02 at 11:52 AM.
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

It depends. First find out if you will enjoy playing GW. If you enjoy playing the game, then yeah it will be worth it. But if you don't like playing, then it certainly is not worth it. The rewards aren't any better than what you would get playing GW2, they just have nostalgic skin to them based from the first game.

Benefits are mostly cosmetic. You will also not be a "unique snowflake" as there are tens or even hundreds of thousands of active GW1 players who will likely have first 30 rewards at the very least.

GW1 is a fun game and worth trying out on its own. The cosmetic gear for GW2 is a nice bonus for playing GW1 enough to unlock all that stuff. On the other hand playing one game solely for gear in another is pretty lame.

Deleted
    I think Lucky gave you as good an objective answer as is possible to that question. You will have to make the call yourself if the provided titles/vanity rewards are worth your time investment. Here's a link to the calculator with the provided rewards: http://hom.guildwars2.com/en/#page=m...AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

GW1 is hard to play now, to be honest. And if you don't like it's gameplay style, it'll be even harder. Overall, I'd recommend against it unless you have TONS of free time and KNOW that you will be a huge GW2 fan. And even then, I'd rather spend my time elsewhere. There's a small chance you might love GW1 as it is, so it's worth trying out the free trail... but don't go in with the expectation that you'll be able to tolerate it, let alone enjoy it.

Deleted
    I asked myself the same question a year ago and did not regret it. GW1 is still a really good game and very different from other MMOs. I already played it when it originally came out, though, but all my HoM points came from the last year.

From what i gather its just a way to reward those players who bought their first game... and make a transition and incentive to play the second game... i do not plan on playing GW1, but you bet you tookus i will be playing GW2!!!

I really think you should give it a pass. For one the combat is incredibly clunky compared to something like wow, and you'd have to buy all the expansions to be able to unlock things without an arseload of grinding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ara View Post
    I really think you should give it a pass. For one the combat is incredibly clunky compared to something like wow, and you'd have to buy all the expansions to be able to unlock things without an arseload of grinding.
    I personally thought the combat was better then wows....

@OP try the free trial, if you enjoy it I'd say buy it, if you don't then don't. I personally love GW1 and will keep playing it even after gw2 comes out (not as much obviously but still will nonetheless). Andi personally don't think its that bad getting anything you need, hardest part would e getting groups for elite missions and/or vanquishing
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

I bought it last week and so far I am really surprised. The melee combat is clunky, ranged classes are probably the way to go, but the quests are very diverse, there is ton of content ... I mean 25 missions for just prophecies ? Give me a break. And the story is very very good and you get lore references from GW1 in GW2.

Imho well worth the money ... especially if you like ranged classes.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

The combat is ok. The best part of the game, at least for me, was making my own builds for myself and my hero team. It was like a game within a game.

Yea, I agree with the posts here that say skip it. GW1 is not a "great playing" game on a surface level. It's a lot of fun, but the hook & meat of the game is in working the builds to do difficult challenges or break a certain challenge.

Have to sorta be into that style and able to live with GW1's art style, sparseness and inelegant controls. Skip if it's not your "thing". GW1 was/is quite different from the second game.

Deleted
    Well, I could tell you what I did. I played GW1 after quitting in 2006 or so and started playing again in October of last year. I started playing again because I was (am) very excited for GW2 and had quit playing WoW, so I decided to play GW1 for the HoM. I actually really enjoyed it, but also mostly because of nostalgia and my expectations of GW2 tbh. Your question is a tricky one OP, because I can't tell how much you want the HoM rewards and if you will like GW1, as it is very different from GW2. My advice is to look up some videos about GW1 and the decide for yourself. But it's not that you 'should play to get the extra items', it's basically just skins, titles and minis.

Yes and no IMO. It will be cool to show all your friends who didn't play GW1 but honestly I'm sure a huge portion of players will have it as well. If you want something unique your better off finding something rare in GW2.

Depends how many of the 5m odd buyers of GW have it I guess...I think a lot of those who played GW will also play GW2.
    For me, I got it for lore as much as anything else. So I is happy
    I mean...just seeing Kralkatorrik in EoTN made it worth it for me personally lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rivehn View Post
    Oh don't get me from, I'm sure pretty much the whole population of Guild wars players will head over to Guild wars 2 but not all will have completed HOM. All i gotta say is i hope Arena Net is really thinking about day one of launch (even know its awhile from now) because there is gonna be a shit load of people logging in that day.
    Yh...my worst GW2 nightmare atm is that the server gets jammed on release day and I can't get on...or there's a problem with installing...or I have terrible lag for some reason...
    ...It keeps me up at night man

Quote Originally Posted by Rivehn View Post
    Oh don't get me from, I'm sure pretty much the whole population of Guild wars players will head over to Guild wars 2 but not all will have completed HOM. All i gotta say is i hope Arena Net is really thinking about day one of launch (even know its awhile from now) because there is gonna be a shit load of people logging in that day.
    I really hope that there isn't huge que times.. I don't mind waiting a few minutes but half hour long ques might be bad. Luckily with the free server transfer system you can start on a low pop server then move to the server you actually want to be on a week or two later after the ques die down.

I know others have quoted such things as Anet's presentations in other countries using their server in Seattle and still having no lag, and that the lag we're all mostly familiar with is in wow which has an old engine and GW2's will be much better, but I still worry lol.
    I just try to be optimistic