Deleted
    And here i thought this thread was safe from the common mob that mindlessly swallows shit just because its packed with explosions just because "OMFG EPIC!!" despite using the word entirly wrong, instant gratification over quality.
    Look at the shiny shiny!
    I have nothing but pure spite for you.
    You are everything thats wrong with the current generation.

Im gonna call it short here because i know that mods like to ban me if i dont play pink happy go friends time.
    Last edited by mmoce8c391acaa; 2013-04-16 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravath View Post
    And here i thought this thread was safe from the common mob that mindlessly swallows shit just because its packed with explosions just because "OMFG EPIC!!" despite using the word entirly wrong, instant gratification over quality.
    Look at the shiny shiny!
    I have nothing but pure spite for you.
    You are everything thats wrong with the current generation.

Im gonna call it short here because i know that mods like to ban me if i dont play pink happy go friends time.
    Let us explore this!

I like to be entertained with some nonsense films from time to time. But on the other side I do like films that have a great plot sound acting etc. I also dislike the way "epic" has become the term for awesome etc, that is quite true.

Would you say I am all that's wrong with society because I sometimes like to disengage my brain for an hour or two and just be entertained by pretty pictures? It doesn't mean I want my only form of entertainment to be that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Statix View Post
    I don't understand how you can possibly think that The Dark Knight trilogy are bad movies. The opening scene of The Dark Knight alone is better than 90% of the movies out there. Christopher Nolan is one of the best directors currently making movies. Do you honestly prefer those older Batman movies over Nolan's Batman? I certainly don't. The Dark Knight trilogy is so real, it's hard to imagine superhero's such as Superman and The Green Lantarn walking around in that world. That's how he redefined superhero movies. Man of Steel is trying to do the same. People are trying to continue along the path that Nolan created. People don't do that if you haven't redefined something.

Honestly, what good superhero movies are you comparing them to? Last time I checked, The Avengers and The Dark Knight trilogy are actually at the top of the greatest superhero movies of allitime. The Avengers is a major accomplishment for Joss Wedon. He managed to put all those mainstream actors into one movie, giving them all enough screentime and still giving us more than enough information about the bad guys and the plot The plot might be standard in your opinion, but it certainly isn't for me. The typical Hollywood bullshit is that the hero's prevent the bad guys from causing mayhem. Loki actually succeeded in getting his army to Earth. The nuke to the Mothership is something that makes the movie better. Would you honestly have believed anything else? What should they have done? Mothership is destroyed and they all flee through the wormhole? Can't, it's closing. They flee! Where, really? They're aliens. The Avengers kill them all, one for one? Yea, right.

You obviously have a very different taste in movies. But make no mistake, it is still your opinion. The Transformers movies are action movies, not high standard, Oscar worthy saga's, nor are they intended to be. They are summer blockbusters. Those movies are all about CGI, explosions, and epic fightscenes. If you don't like them, don't watch them. There's a reason why such movies are released in either the spring or summer. It's a different standard. People are whining that The Hobbit is just a repeat of Lord of the Rings. What most people don't know, is that Tolkien actually wrote The Hobbit before Lord of the Rings. So LOTR is infact a copy of The Hobbit, if you choose to view it that way. I loved The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. I loved being able to return to the world of Middle-Earth. There might be some elements to it that were present in LOTR aswell, but who the hell cares? It's simply awesome to be back there again.

There's good movies and there's entertaining movies (as in, movies you can watch over and over again). Take Schindler's List, a great movie, but you don't see me watching that again and again. The Avengers might not be a great movie, but I watched that movie 4 times in six days. I enjoy The Avengers, and for me, it's not always about how good the movie is, but also about how entertaining it is and how it makes me feel. Therefore, I think that The Avengers is a great movie.

There's plently of movies I want to watch, Lincoln and Django Unchained, but once Iron Man 3 comes out, I will watch it immediately. Because it's epic. Most good movies aren't epic. Sometimes, you have both in one movie, such as The Lord of the Rings. Still, because of the length, it's hard to rewatch it. The Avengers has a lot of epic moments, and has a good length to be rewatched.
    Actually most people know the hobbit was written before LOTR.

I didn't watch any of the transformer movies. I liked transformers as a kid but the truth is the entire franchise has always been a giant consumerist cash grab. The first dark knight rises actually was a decent movie. Avengers wasn't bad because it knew to not take itself too seriously that that works well for a super hero movie. The x-men movies were pretty meh. Some good actors but blah movies.

Also Michael Bay, wat are you... Michael Bay stahp ; ;
    Last edited by Rukh; 2013-04-16 at 12:59 PM.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Deleted
    Obviously not, there is a difference.
    What set my autism off is that he tries to put forth them as good, he actually wants to put his brain in perma-sleep, much like the YOLOs we see today.
    "You Only Live Once", so instead of making sure you enjoy it as long as possible, you do your best trying to lose it... brilliant...
    I enjoyed avengers, but i do not try to fool either myself or anyone else that it is a good movie.

15+ Year Old Account
    The common mob that mindlessly swallows shit? And what mob do you consider yourself to be a part of? The mob that mindlessly bashes movies into the ground just because they cary the same name as something you loved in its original form? It seems more likely that you are what's wrong with our generation. No appreciation for reboots or remakes, just because they are just that. How can we ever move forward with people who are stuck in the past?

I can understand why you are being banned so often. You are completely blowing this entire discussion out of proportions. It's your opinion that movies such as Transformers and The Dark Knight are bad. I do not share that opinion. You can't force your opinion on others, the same way I can't force my opinion on you.

Transformers are no high-standard movies, but The Dark Knight is. IMDb might not be a credible source for what critics think of movies, but regular people consider it to be pretty damn good movie. I see The Godfather in that list. I honestly think that whole movie is utter garbage. But I can't argue that I must be wrong somewhere, because so many other people think it's so great. You should try that.

A more interesting subject is, how would you make superhero movies without CGI. It's obvious that you hate CGI and big explosions, but isn't that what superheroes are all about? How would you create an alien race invading New York through a wormhole if not with CGI? Do you want the special effects of the recent Star Wars trilogy or the original trilogy?

I am looking forward to The Avengers 2 more than all other movies about to be released in the next few years combined. Not you, not the greatest expert in movies can tell me otherwise. The Avengers was great and entertaining as hell. If you can't look past a few flaws, then you should just stop watching movies like that and stop forcing your opinion about them down our throats.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    Actually most people know the hobbit was written before LOTR.
    That really isn't true. If people knew that, The Hobbit wouldn't be getting such bad reviews.
    Last edited by Statix; 2013-04-16 at 01:15 PM.
    Statix will suffice.

Deleted
    The angry mob that wont accept something full of holes to be a complete work.
    And i didnt love the original batman either, be it Tim burtons movies, Adam west tv series or the comics. But i have to be biased to know when something is bad?
    Also, how is not a remake/reboot being stuck in the past? It is just literally that, being in the past and not moving forwards.

Its not an opinion that the transformers/nolan batman are bad, its fact. If they didnt raise several warning flags for you when watching them, than its just sad.
    Regular peope... yeah, flock of sheep and all that. Show them something shiny and they will praise it. Whats next, you are gonna tell me Obama became president because he had great politics?
    Im not quite who is the bigger sheep, the ones mindlessly devoted to the shiny, or you who falls in line with them because they are so many.

And no, i dont hate CGI or explosions, not sure where you got that.
    I hate when they are used to compensate for poor writing instead of doing actual writing.
    The bigger problem is that they will intentionally screw the writing for blowing everything on BOOM because thats what people will pay for.
    Why even bother to make movies with different stories then? Just make 500 movies with nothing but teenage angst and explosions and call it "The Quest for Freedom" part 1 to 500.

I dont give a flying fuck what you enjoy or dont, but dont come and claim that they are good, because so help me Buddha i will fight you.
    I dont have to look past a few flaws to enjoy a movie, nor should i.
    If something performs subpar it needs to be critized.
    The more that knows the flaws the better, they will not pay for subpar movies and the writers, producers and directors will be forced to make better movies if they want to get their beloved money.
    That is evolution.
    If you actually like something, you need to recognize it for its flaws, critize it and ponder "How can it be improved."
    We havent spent almost 17000 posts in this thread jerking ME off, we have been debating it to hell and back.
    You cant love a person, your country or a movie unless you take both in the good and the bad and recognize it for what it is.

That really isn't true. If people knew that, The Hobbit wouldn't be getting such bad reviews.
    This is actually true.
    Last edited by mmoce8c391acaa; 2013-04-16 at 01:27 PM.

Deleted
    "The Hobbit, or There and Back Again, better known by its abbreviated title The Hobbit, is a fantasy novel and children's book by English author J. R. R. Tolkien. It was published on 21 September 1937 to wide critical acclaim, being nominated for the Carnegie Medal and awarded a prize from the New York Herald Tribune for best juvenile fiction. The book remains popular and is recognized as a classic in children's literature.

Encouraged by the book's critical and financial success, the publisher requested a sequel. As Tolkien's work on the successor The Lord of the Rings progressed, he made retrospective accommodations for it in The Hobbit. These few but significant changes were integrated into the second edition. Further editions followed with minor emendations, including those reflecting Tolkien's changing concept of the world into which Bilbo stumbled. The work has never been out of print. Its ongoing legacy encompasses many adaptations for stage, screen, radio, board games and video games. Several of these adaptations have received critical recognition on their own merits."

So yeah LotR is actually a sequel to the Hobbit !!

Tolkien was as well where the fantasy stereotypes originated.
    Beards being short, bearded, smiths and such and elves being tall, skinny and frollicking in the forests.
    Preserving this for the greater truth lol. Beards bearding beards.

Deleted
    Jackson pulled a Star Wars trilogy.
    The great finale before the leadup.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceshaman View Post
    Preserving this for the greater truth lol. Beards bearding beards.
    Why do you guys always manage to post a quote every time after i deleted it?

15+ Year Old Account
    What do you consider to be great movies, I wonder.

If you think The Dark Knight is bad, you must have some pretty impressive movies on that list.

Good doesn't mean they are great. Great doesn't mean they are awesome. And awesome certainly doesn't mean they are perfect. By saying that movies are good, I am not saying they are Oscar-worthy. I don't judge movies based just on how well written they are. There's a lot more to it.

Any movie that I can't finish is bad. As long as I can watch a movie, it's average. Was it enjoyable, it's decent. Did it have good acting or can I watch it again, it's good. Did it have nerdgasm moments or beautiful music, it's great. Do they have an original plot and tell an amazing story, it's awesome. Does it have everything I could possibly want in a movie, it's perfect; but that never happens. The lines aren't that black and white, but that's what it comes down to. Enjoyment is more important that actual quality.

Not sure if you are familiar with Star Wars The Clone Wars (animated tv show), but I love that. Many people would call that tv show decent to good, but I think it's great because I enjoy is regardless of what happens in an episode. As I said, it's not just about quality, but also about how it makes me feel.

The problem here is that you are trying to force your opinion down my throat and saying that I am 'telling you that it is good.' I am merely saying what I think about the movies. You can't state that it is a fact that The Dark Knight is a bad movie. It is your opinion. Almost 75% of the people who voted for The Dark Knight gave it either a 9 or a 10. Even Metacricit gave it an 8.2. You can deny those facts.
    Last edited by Statix; 2013-04-16 at 01:53 PM.
    Statix will suffice.

Deleted
    Im starting to think that you are just fucking with me the way you keep confusing opinions for fact.
    Either that or you are just blocking out half of what i say because you cant handle the truth.
    Let me break it down:
    Quality is objective.
    Personal experience is subjective.
    You follow me so far?

If you think The Dark Knight is bad, you must have some pretty impressive movies on that list.

Good doesn't mean they are great. Great doesn't mean they are awesome. And awesome certainly doesn't mean they are perfect. By saying that movies are good, I am not saying they are Oscar-worthy. I don't judge movies based just on how well written they are. There's a lot more to it.

Any movie that I can't finish is bad. As long as I can watch a movie, it's average. Was it enjoyable, it's decent. Did it have good acting or can I watch it again, it's good. Did it have nerdgasm moments or beautiful music, it's great. Do they have an original plot and tell an amazing story, it's awesome. Does it have everything I could possibly want in a movie, it's perfect; but that never happens. The lines aren't that black and white, but that's what it comes down to. Enjoyment is more important that actual quality.

Not sure if you are familiar with Star Wars The Clone Wars (animated tv show), but I love that. Many people would call that tv show decent to good, but I think it's great because I enjoy is regardless of what happens in an episode. As I said, it's not just about quality, but also about how it makes me feel.

The problem here is that you are trying to force your opinion down my throat and saying that I am 'telling you that it is good.' I am merely saying what I think about the movies. You can't state that it is a fact that The Dark Knight is a bad movie. It is your opinion. Almost 75% of the people who voted for The Dark Knight gave it either a 9 or a 10. Even Metacricit gave it an 8.2. You can deny those facts.
    It is his opinion though. He thinks the Batman movies are bad. He is welcome to it. I enjoyed the Batman movies but I did feel some things were a bit rubbish on them.

For example, I love COMMANDO with Arnold. Its a terrible movie full of plot holes and bad acting loads of goofs and not to mention more puns than I can handle. But I love it. It is one of those movies that is SO bad it is good.

Why do you guys always manage to post a quote every time after i deleted it?

Deleted

You say Gravath is trying to force his opinion down your throat while all you do is actually force your opinion down OUR throats?

Yeah that´s how it works on the internet. Dude A says that he dislikes a movie and Dude B tells him that he is so wrong. Both are trying to force their opinion onto the other one.

15+ Year Old Account
    Im starting to think that you are just fucking with me the way you keep confusing opinions for fact.
    Either that or you are just blocking out half of what i say because you cant handle the truth.
    Let me break it down:
    Quality is objective.
    Personal experience is subjective.
    You follow me so far?
    Quality is not objective. How can it be? Who decides what is good quality and what is bad? Isn't that based on someone's opinion? There are no groundrules for quality. Each generation has different standards. Fourty years ago, the special effects of Star Wars were phenomanal. These days they are bad.

People in Africa would consider their cheap black and white tv to be good quality. By our standards, that would be crap quality. Americans might consider their houses to be good quality, but compared to the houses in The Netherlands, they are houses made out of cards. A bit of wind, and they blow away; that wouldn't happen to houses in The Netherlands. Still, Americans consider those houses to be good quality, while by Dutch standards, they are bad.

Quality is based on opinions, but also on where you came from and what you grew up with.

Quote Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
    You say Gravath is trying to force his opinion down your throat while all you do is actually force your opinion down OUR throats?

Yeah that´s how it works on the internet. Dude A says that he dislikes a movie and Dude B tells him that he is so wrong. Both are trying to force their opinion onto the other one.
    I am not doing anything of that sort. I am pointing to actual facts (like the IMDb numbers), not stating my own opinion is fact. I'm sharing my opinion. It actually says so in my post: 'I am merely saying what I think about the movies.'

Its not an opinion that the transformers/nolan batman are bad, its fact.
    Fact, based on your opinion.
    Last edited by Statix; 2013-04-16 at 02:14 PM.
    Statix will suffice.

Deleted
    People in Africa would consider their cheap black and white tv to be good quality.
    Personal experience formed of ignorance.
    Subjective.

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoyed avengers, but i do not try to fool either myself or anyone else that it is a good movie.
    It's a good movie in that it's entertaining. Certainly, it isn't an oscar worthy epic, but it's fun to watch and therefore a good movie.

Like Khalltusk, I like both. I like deep intellectual movies and I like "YAY ASPLOSIONS!" movies. Sometimes I want to think, sometimes I just want trite entertainment. I don't even have a problem with Michael Bay because sometimes I just like to watch explosions. See, thing is, people go into a Michael Bay movie thinking they'll get a Stanley Kubrick quality movie. They should realize Michael Bay is the YAY ASPLOSIONS! type and go in with that mindset. They'd be less disappointed.
    Putin khuliyo

15+ Year Old Account
    Personal experience formed of ignorance.
    Subjective.
    You are actually proving my point. It's personal experience that defines quality. Thanks.
    Statix will suffice.

Deleted
    You are actually proving my point. It's personal experience that defines quality. Thanks.
    "think is good"
    Much like you, ignorance lead them to belive its good when it actually isnt.
    You cant just ignore half my posts to make them convenient for your own message.
    Thats something i would expect from a person arguing for a monotheistic religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    They should realize Michael Bay is the YAY ASPLOSIONS! type and go in with that mindset. They'd be less disappointed.
    A movie can have both YAY ASPLOSIONS and be atleast decent enough to cover its plotholes, doesnt need to be as you said, Stanley Kubrick.
    Last edited by mmoce8c391acaa; 2013-04-16 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    It's a good movie in that it's entertaining. Certainly, it isn't an oscar worthy epic, but it's fun to watch and therefore a good movie.

Like Khalltusk, I like both. I like deep intellectual movies and I like "YAY ASPLOSIONS!" movies. Sometimes I want to think, sometimes I just want trite entertainment. I don't even have a problem with Michael Bay because sometimes I just like to watch explosions. See, thing is, people go into a Michael Bay movie thinking they'll get a Stanley Kubrick quality movie. They should realize Michael Bay is the YAY ASPLOSIONS! type and go in with that mindset. They'd be less disappointed.
    Yeh thats the way I see it. It all depends like some nights I want to have a good plot driven film/series and I might watch say the dune miniseries or something.

When I just want to see bad puns worse acting loads of goofs and comedy I will watch an arnold film. The guys a genius.

If I just want explosions I will find a AAA blockbuster film and put it on switch my mind off for a few hours then be done with it.

Its a bit like Mass effect, I went into the game with _NO_ expectations. Played Me1, did the pre mission dialogue bits thought meh this ok. Did the 1st mission and thought ok that big alien ships kinda cool but the shooting mechanics are a bit bollocks. Then I got to the parts where more and more dialogue opened and I was hooked.

Compare that to say COD4, I played it enjoyed the story line as it was all action driven but when I put it down afterwards I didnt have any other feelings for it. It didn't make my mind think it was purely point and shoot. ME1/2/3 while having point and shoot had actions and consequences. Loved that part of the game the most.