Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    im starting to think im the only mass effect person who loved the mako aspect of mass effect 1, was fine with how it controls, wanted to see more of it in 2&3, and was disappointed when it didnt show up.
    It was neat in theory and I probably wouldn't have minded it so much if the level designers for the planet weren't such phenomenal trolls. Give the player a vehicle that catches more air off a pebble than most BMXers do off of hills and then give them planets that have more mountains in a square mile than the entire Earth does, with every jagged angle imaginable packed as tightly as possible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    It was neat in theory and I probably wouldn't have minded it so much if the level designers for the planet weren't such phenomenal trolls. Give the player a vehicle that catches more air off a pebble than most BMXers do off of hills and then give them planets that have more mountains in a square mile than the entire Earth does, with every jagged angle imaginable packed as tightly as possible.
    Yeah I think the same. The Mako was great and I enjoyed it a lot in ME1 but the biggest flaw was the design of those explorable worlds because they had way too many mountains and some of them were a nightmare to explore with the Mako.

All those high gravity worlds with Mount-Everest sized mountains and back/frontflips after driving over a pebble were pretty bad and I bet that´s why most people dislike the Mako.

So If BioWare actually cared about the Mako then I am sure that they would have brought it back with better controls and better explorable worlds or missions. The Mako was great and I liked to drive it and if they redesigned it to give it better controls and made the worlds less mountainous or less crappy to explore and made a few interesting Mako missions (like the Firewalker ones) then I would be the first to love it.

I was kinda sad when I saw that they completely scrapped vehicles from ME2 and ME3 and only brought vehicle missions back with ME2 DLCs (Firewalker and Overlord) both DLCs were not that big and I would have loved to have bigger vehicle missions. Especially ME3 was a huge letdown because there were NO vehicles at all and no mission with vehicles and I was very mad when I saw that not only the Mako was missing but also the Hammerhead which was introduced in ME2 and was removed from the Normandy cargo bay via a very bad way (It was removed because Alliance sent it to Earth to improve it).

No vehicle missions at all in ME3 was the worst thing apart the terrible endings for me. I actually loved to drive around in my Mako (disliked the above mentioned driving physics and worlds) and liked the Hammerhead too.

BTW: If I could add a feature to MENext I would totally add a lot of bigass vehicle missions and even space combat missions (done in your personal fighter). That would be so amazing and hopefully BioWare does it.

On the missions that didn't involve mountains or tons of sharp angles, I loved the Mako. The ones that were major missions rather than planet exploration, like Noveria and Feros.

Deleted
    On the missions that didn't involve mountains or tons of sharp angles, I loved the Mako. The ones that were major missions rather than planet exploration, like Noveria and Feros.
    Exactly, all "mandatory" Mako missions were perfectly fine, even If I had a few surprise pebble rocket jump on Feros.

A cross between the Hammerhead and the Mako would've been ideal for me. The Hammerhead handled beautifully, but it would get grazed by the smoke trail of a missile and explode (especially on Insanity), while the Mako handled terribly but could survive a beating. They went to both extremes but failed to find the happy medium.

Deleted
    A cross between the Hammerhead and the Mako would've been ideal for me. The Hammerhead handled beautifully, but it would get grazed by the smoke trail of a missile and explode (especially on Insanity), while the Mako handled terribly but could survive a beating. They went to both extremes but failed to find the happy medium.
    Yes that would have been perfect for ME3. Instead of removing both the Hammerhead and the Mako they could have fused those 2 together and create a very fun and amazing vehicle with nearly Hammerhead controls and Mako durability.

Instead BW chose the lameass way and said

Dev A: "Boss should we add vehicles to ME3 and maybe create a few vehicle missions?"
    BW Boss "Well screw that we should remove vehicles all together. We have no time for such BS because I need to polish those 3 gorgeous color endings"
    Dev A: "But why have we added vehicle missions in ME2 with the Overlord and Firewalker DLC if we don´t use vehicles anymore?"
    BW Boss: "Screw that we don´t want our players to have fun so we will scrap both the Hammerhead and the Mako !! Sherpard should walk" ... "THAT´S AN ORDER"

Deleted
    The charge to the beam would had been infinitly more awesome if you piloted a mako instead of running like a fool.

And im with TIM on the spacebattles, although BioWare did kinda flop that in SWTOR.
    Theres railroads in space, who knew?
    Last edited by mmoce8c391acaa; 2013-03-18 at 10:58 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravath View Post
    The charge to the beam would had been infinitly more awesome if you piloted a mako instead of running like a fool.

And im with TIM on the spacebattles, although BioWare did kinda flop that in SWTOR.
    Theres railroads in space, who knew?
    Yes it was pretty silly that Shepard was trying to run to that beam on foot ... pretty stupid if you think about it. I would pay 100 bucks for a Mako drop that´s done "Ilos style" with Joker dropping you out in front of the beam with your Mako and you then take the Beam with your Mako and the "real" final mission involves fighting on the Citadel.

Yeah the lack of vehicles in ME3 is utter garbage and I would totally love a redone Ilos or Feros-style mission for ME 3. You know those missions where you had to use your Mako to reach destinations and to combat enemies so basically longass missions instead of those we had in ME3.

NO Shepard has to walk from the start at Vancouver to the end in London and that is LAMEASS.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
    Yes it was pretty silly that Shepard was trying to run to that beam on foot ...
    Running on foot? As opposed to what, running on hands?

I didn't miss the Mako at all. One or two missions with it might have been welcome, but since I haven't played the ME2 DLC, I kinda got used to not driving in a vehicle before I started with ME3.

Looking at the whole picture, even with the ME3 endings, ME3 is still the best game. I see the story of ME3 as a step up from ME2. In ME2 you had to recruit the best of the best from various races to do the impossible; in ME3 you have to actually recruit entire race to do the impossible. Imagine how epic it actually is that one person unites the entire galaxy. ME3 also had one of the most impressive cutscenes I have ever seen. I already loved how the Alliance rescued the Destiny Ascension in ME1, but the arrival of the fleets in ME3 sends shivers down my spine every time I watch it. It's so bloody epic.

I do miss a truly epic piece of music in ME3. There are several which are good, but not as epic as ME1 From the Wreckage, Victory and especcialy The End (Reprise) and ME2 Suicide Mission and End Run.

What, you ask, makes ME3 the best? The multiplayer. Simply to be able to experience ME3 without having to play the single player, makes it the best. I also consider the ME3 single player to be replayable. I can't imagine playing through Mass Effect 2 again with all that mining, or bypassing/hacking for that matter, let alone ME1. ME3's combat is also a lot smoother. You move faster, or atleast, there is no delay. In ME2 it was as if there was a delay before you started moving. The power system is also better.

Still, ME3 only wins by a small margin. The endings do affect how I think about it. Would ME3 have had a truly epic, happy, satisfying ending, it would hands down be the best. Now, the multiplayer and the fact that it's replayable (for me), make it the best. Without those elements, it would be ME2. The arrival of the fleets scene also helps.
    Last edited by Statix; 2013-03-18 at 11:49 AM.
    Statix will suffice.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, actually:
    1. There were these AA cannons that prevented on-spot drop - that's why they dropped at a distance and went on foot
    2. After that was taken care of - the rest of the strike force could land, but there was a Reaper guarding the Beam.
    3. So they couldn't land at the beam - they needed to land somewhere else and proceed on foot to deal with the Reaper.
    4. They managed to get those missiles just in range - losing most of the strike force in the process.
    5. They couldn't fire missiles from Normandy - they couldn't get a lock from orbit. And a drive-by - would mean the destruction of Normandy by the Reaper. Because Normandy would have to get Real close to the Reaper to get a lock.
    6. Mako is a way bigger target for a Reaper than a scattered group of soldiers. Also less maneuverable than a foot soldier. That's why it would've been a suicide to ride a Mako into the beam. One hit and all are dead. Even IRL Strykers (US Military APC - Mako inspiration) are referred to as "Kevlar Coffins".
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    im starting to think im the only mass effect person who loved the mako aspect of mass effect 1, was fine with how it controls, wanted to see more of it in 2&3, and was disappointed when it didnt show up.
    Dont worry you are not alone. I've commented on it a few times in this thread, I loved that Mako.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes it was pretty silly that Shepard was trying to run to that beam on foot ... pretty stupid if you think about it. I would pay 100 bucks for a Mako drop that´s done "Ilos style" with Joker dropping you out in front of the beam with your Mako and you then take the Beam with your Mako and the "real" final mission involves fighting on the Citadel.

Yeah the lack of vehicles in ME3 is utter garbage and I would totally love a redone Ilos or Feros-style mission for ME 3. You know those missions where you had to use your Mako to reach destinations and to combat enemies so basically longass missions instead of those we had in ME3.

NO Shepard has to walk from the start at Vancouver to the end in London and that is LAMEASS.
    Being in the Mako gave Harbinger a pretty big target to hit, whereas there was a higher chance of survival if everyone got out, spread out, and ran.

However, I would not have minded seeing some vehicular exploration in ME3. Just . . . give the Mako a little better control or the Hammerhead a bit more vitality.

---------- Post added 2013-03-18 at 08:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Statix View Post
    Still, ME3 only wins by a small margin. The endings do affect how I think about it. Would ME3 have had a truly epic, happy, satisfying ending, it would hands down be the best. Now, the multiplayer and the fact that it's replayable (for me), make it the best. Without those elements, it would be ME2. The arrival of the fleets scene also helps.
    Oh my god that was the best scene in the entire trilogy. I about flipped my table when Apple interrupted my playthrough during The Fleets Arrive, muting and alt-tabbing my game on me for a fucking iTune's update. I want to sue.

But seriously, watching all those ships come through the mass relay is fucking epic.
    Last edited by Adam Jensen; 2013-03-18 at 12:22 PM.
    Putin khuliyo

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Being in the Mako gave Harbinger a pretty big target to hit, whereas there was a higher chance of survival if everyone got out, spread out, and ran.

However, I would not have minded seeing some vehicular exploration in ME3. Just . . . give the Mako a little better control or the Hammerhead a bit more vitality.

Oh my god that was the best scene in the entire trilogy. I about flipped my table when Apple interrupted my playthrough during The Fleets Arrive, muting and alt-tabbing my game on me for a fucking iTune's update. I want to sue.

But seriously, watching all those ships come through the mass relay is fucking epic.
    I remember my vision being obstructed by tears in my eyes. It was so bloody awesome, I had tears of awesomeness (as I like to call them). If I could ever experience something for the first time again, it would be that scene.

It's actually a pretty interesting question: If you could experience something for the first time again, what would it be? Arrival of the fleets scene > Mass Effect 3 > Mass Effect Trilogy. Depending on the size of what I could choose, that would be the order of importance.
    Statix will suffice.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Eh, actually:
    1. There were these AA cannons that prevented on-spot drop - that's why they dropped at a distance and went on foot
    2. After that was taken care of - the rest of the strike force could land, but there was a Reaper guarding the Beam.
    3. So they couldn't land at the beam - they needed to land somewhere else and proceed on foot to deal with the Reaper.
    4. They managed to get those missiles just in range - losing most of the strike force in the process.
    5. They couldn't fire missiles from Normandy - they couldn't get a lock from orbit. And a drive-by - would mean the destruction of Normandy by the Reaper. Because Normandy would have to get Real close to the Reaper to get a lock.
    6. Mako is a way bigger target for a Reaper than a scattered group of soldiers. Also less maneuverable than a foot soldier. That's why it would've been a suicide to ride a Mako into the beam. One hit and all are dead. Even IRL Strykers (US Military APC - Mako inspiration) are referred to as "Kevlar Coffins".
    LOL everything you said gets destroyed by a Normandy that hovers in front of the FUCKING BOSS REAPER for like 5 minutes while casually picking up your injured squad mates (minus AA guns but they could have been destroyed by other squads)

Yeah sure a Airdrop from the Normandy was impossible because of a Reaper that was guarding the beam ... oh wait looks like it was possible. Just look at that:

BTW: I think I made it clear that I would love Mako missions and if you guys have a different opinion then it is fine. For me Mass Effect is incomplete without vehicles and this is why I think ME3 is not as good as it could be with vehicle missions (of course the horrible bad Priority Earth and endings are bad too)
    Last edited by mmocac05adb153; 2013-03-18 at 01:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    LOL everything you said gets destroyed by a Normandy that hovers in front of the FUCKING BOSS REAPER for like 5 minutes while casually picking up your injured squad mates (minus AA guns but they could have been destroyed by other squads)

Yeah sure a Airdrop from the Normandy was impossible because of a Reaper that was guarding the beam ... oh wait looks like it was possible. Just look at that:
    Preface: I loath that scene in EC. I mean WTF? It should've been a shuttle not Normandy.

But...

1. There was still a great distance to the beam and even greater to the Harbinger who was behind the Beam.
    2. Notice how all the Makos get raped in different positions.
    3. Reaper was somewhat preoccupied with more important targets: Makos and humanoids running to the beam.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Preface: I loath that scene in EC. I mean WTF? It should've been a shuttle not Normandy.

But...

1. There was still a great distance to the beam and even greater to the Harbinger who was behind the Beam.
    2. Notice how all the Makos get raped in different positions.
    3. Reaper was somewhat preoccupied with more important targets: Makos and humanoids running to the beam.
    Yep that was the response I anticipated and I have to agree. The EC scene where the Normandy hovers in front of Harbinger and he does not fire at all when the Ship lifts off (he does not fire a single time when you see the lift-off) is stupid beyond belief and I still think BioWare was drunk when they created it.

Anderson and Coats tell us that the Beam prevents any air-support from getting near it and thus we had to go by foot yet we see the Normandy hover there for ages with Harbinger not caring at all. The Reaper that was guarding the beam before was just an "ordinary" Destroyer class Reaper and you could not land there yet it is possible with a 2.5 kilometer big Reaper which happens to be the BIG BOSS of those dudes?

Yeah sure "JOKER I need an evac right now !!!" to be honest I expected Joker to return "LOL Shepard have you noticed that fucking big HARBINGER that is just standing next to the beam shooting 4 lazors at once? You want an EVAC? You must be kidding".

Deleted
    Spacemagic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravath View Post
    Spacemagic.
    is friendship in space?

Deleted
    At least this bizarre evac scene got me a good laugh when I had Javik and EDI in my final squad ... Javik who hates Synthetics carries EDI´s platform to the Normandy and helps her get aboard. Like WTF? EDI needs an evac? I thought she is just a platform that the real EDI aboard the Normandy controls? Javik does not look like a sissy who would retreat either.

Yeah that whole scene is pretty bizarre. Those squadmates aren't really wounded and most of them would never back off because of such a silly explosion and minor wounds. They are no sissies yet Shepard treats them like they were.