Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Whats the deal with Orange Gear?

Ok Im totally confused about Orange Gear. I know that it starts out with no stats and you have to add mods to it. But why do some pieces have required levels? Like I just looted a pair of Orange medium armor boots with a level requirement of 46. What makes them any different than say an orange pair of boots with a requirement of only 26? Can only higher level oranges use high level mods or is the level requirement just pointless?

Deleted
    The armoring mod sets the level of the item, thus also changing it's base armor value. Orange gear doesn't have any level requirement at all really, it's the armoring that does, which can be taken out and replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    What makes them any different than say an orange pair of boots with a requirement of only 26? Can only higher level oranges use high level mods or is the level requirement just pointless?
    The only difference is just going to be the way it looks on your character, and the level req is pretty much is pointless when it comes to oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    The armoring mod sets the level of the item, thus also changing it's base armor value. Orange gear doesn't have any level requirement at all really, it's the armoring that does, which can be taken out and replaced.
    You can find orange gear that doesn't have any mods but has a level req.

To answer your actual question, no, there is no difference between a level 10 orange chest and a level 50 orange chest. Other than appearance, of course.

Did either of the pieces have mods in it? The level requirement is generally based on the highest level mod in the item, admittedly I've seen empty ones with a requirement as low as lvl 11 which seems pointless but not at all an issue.

Great so that level 46 item I looted is vendor fodder lol. Got all excited for a minute.

I did also loot a lvl 46 orange helm already modded with:
    38 aim
    27 endurance

38 aim
    22 endurance
    6 crit

14 endurance
    29 accuracy
    25 crit

Should I just strip out the mods and sell them separately?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    You can find orange gear that doesn't have any mods but has a level req.
    Sorry, my bad. Can't be high level requirements though? I don't think I ever had the problem with an orange piece with no mods being too high level for me. My guess would be that it's to avoid people from twinking level 1 characters?

Sorry, my bad. Can't be high level requirements though? I don't think I ever had the problem with an orange piece with no mods being too high level for me. My guess would be that it's to avoid people from twinking level 1 characters?
    There's level 50 orange gear without any mods, but they have the same exact armor rating as a piece of orange gear with a lvl 1 req, and they all have no base stats.

The mods from a BoE orange will become bound to you if you take them out. The item probably becomes bound too. So, the only use of the mods are if you can use them yourself or put them on a companion.

Oranges do usually sell easily on the auction house though since lots of people want them for their companions.

Deleted
    Also just to point out, if you find an empty custom piece with a level requirement of let's say 40, you can't put a low level armoring (and other mods) on it, to drop it's level requirement. Those are fixed.

Great so that level 46 item I looted is vendor fodder lol. Got all excited for a minute.

I did also loot a lvl 46 orange helm already modded with:
    38 aim
    27 endurance

38 aim
    22 endurance
    6 crit

14 endurance
    29 accuracy
    25 crit

If you pull out the mods they will bind to you. So unless you plan on using them I wouldn't do that, even then the cost to pull out the higher lvl ones is way more then the GTN price most of the time.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Reason for Bioware to add a level requirement on orange gears is just a visual thing. They don't want us to wear the high level look when we are level 10.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Wait, so I could buy orange gear of much higher level from the GTN if I like the design, remove the mods and replace them with my level of mods and use it ?!?
    No, you can't drop the minimum required level of a custom item by replacing the mods with lower level ones.

Incorrect. I've gotten a level 50 head slot item that had no mods in it, but still had a level requirement.

get an orange in every slot when you're levelling. then just spend your commendations on the mods to keep each piece up to date.

thats what i did anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by asharia View Post
    get an orange in every slot when you're levelling. then just spend your commendations on the mods to keep each piece up to date.

thats what i did anyway.
    Same here. That's IMO the best way to gear up in the leveling process. Plus you get to pick your very own looking set of armor. You don't have to change out of a piece of armor just because it's better like other MMOs.

All you'll be doing is to skip picking gears from quest rewards and pick the commendations instead, unless it's another piece of orange armor and you like that look better or it has better mods attached. (Which you will then switch them out and replace them to your old orange armor)

10+ Year Old Account

thats what i did anyway.
    Yep this is a great way of leveling, and keep your gear uptodate. Orange pieces are really wanted as they are the easiest way to keep your gear current as every zone has a modification commendation vendor.

Also Lilly32 if you happen to find say a AIM Heavy Armour orange, you can strip the mods and replace them with STR mods if you are a Guardian and use it. The same goes with medium CUNNING gear for Jedi Sentinels. You can strip the cunning mods, and replace them with strength mods.

thats what i did anyway.
    Ditto, really helps considering how fugly 99% of Bh gear is to find one piece you like and keep it for 30 levels

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't work that good unless you're also a cybertech. The commendation ones are good but the armoring/barrel ones cost quite a lot when you buy them in bulk to fill up all your slots. What I do is get the most important mods, usually the barrel, then buy all mod/enhancement ones cause they're just 2 commendations each, and put my own armoring mods in them.
    Ultimately indeed it works best if you are a Cybertech, or if you are an Artificer to a certain extend. The Armourings and Hilts/Barrels cost 8 commendations a piece, while the enhancements and mods only cost 2.

Doesn't work that good unless you're also a cybertech. The commendation ones are good but the armoring/barrel ones cost quite a lot when you buy them in bulk to fill up all your slots. What I do is get the most important mods, usually the barrel, then buy all mod/enhancement ones cause they're just 2 commendations each, and put my own armoring mods in them.
    I haven't had any trouble whatsoever keeping my orange gear up to date on only commendations.