Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Aye orange gear is great. With one simple colour addition they solved a simple issue(Having decent enough looking low level gear) without implementing the powerwhore that was heirlooms in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    To fully keep up your orange gear you would need 77 commendations each planet you quest on. Considering you maybe get like 30 or something if you do all quests...it may be a problem. Unless ofcourse you buy mods off the GTN but then we aren't talking commendations there.
    This would be true if there were always a full set of armorings/mods/enchantments to buy on the commendation vendor but the available items vary. Often I find that all the mod slot mods or the enchantments are actually downgrades from the ones I have from the lower level planets because the stats are worse. There are also a few really bizarre things about them, like Patron (higher Endurance, lower Cunning) barrels always being higher level than the Skill (lower Endurance, higher Cunning) barrels which leads to most of my characters ending up with unused commendations since there's nothing to buy.

Also, while the armorings are the most expensive to buy for commendations, most planets have a modification vendor that sells green quality armorings and weapon modifications for simple credits. Your gear will never fall far back if you keep up with those, especially since the armoring is generally the least important slot (at least for non-tanks).

To add to that, you get some random mods from quest rewards, an occasional orange with mods in it at ends of long quest lines, you can buy items with warzone commendations and take the mods out and you can take the mods out of dungeon drops. Really, unless you mainly level by exploring the map and doing space missions, you can't avoid ending up with more reasonably up to date mods than you need.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    To fully keep up your orange gear you would need 77 commendations each planet you quest on. Considering you maybe get like 30 or something if you do all quests...it may be a problem. Unless ofcourse you buy mods off the GTN but then we aren't talking commendations there.
    You can buy Green Mods from vendors for cash on each planet. For pure leveling purposes, these are adequate, if you use your commendations well. Buy the Armouring slot for cash, then the mod/enhancement for commendations, and you are set.

Deleted
    I use the same gear i got on lvl 10 iam lvl 40 now
    just re moding it etc

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    Yep this is a great way of leveling, and keep your gear uptodate. Orange pieces are really wanted as they are the easiest way to keep your gear current as every zone has a modification commendation vendor.

Also Lilly32 if you happen to find say a AIM Heavy Armour orange, you can strip the mods and replace them with STR mods if you are a Guardian and use it. The same goes with medium CUNNING gear for Jedi Sentinels. You can strip the cunning mods, and replace them with strength mods.
    The only pieces this won't work with are the class-specific ones, but those are relatively rare, like Blade Tyrant's Greaves, requiring Sith Warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by doublek1022 View Post
    Reason for Bioware to add a level requirement on orange gears is just a visual thing. They don't want us to wear the high level look when we are level 10.
    No offense to bioware, but the pvp and pve end game sets look like crap and are one reason why many of us are clamoring for the ability to strip mods out of them and put into armor we actually like to wear. I wish they would give class assignments to companions, I have some great looking gear my companion cannot equip simply because they don't have a class identifier. They have all the same traits, just no name,
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroWashu View Post
    the pvp and pve end game sets look like crap
    Isn't the game running on low textures right now though?

I at least can't seem to get high textures on no matter what I try.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    Ok Im totally confused about Orange Gear. I know that it starts out with no stats and you have to add mods to it. But why do some pieces have required levels? Like I just looted a pair of Orange medium armor boots with a level requirement of 46. What makes them any different than say an orange pair of boots with a requirement of only 26? Can only higher level oranges use high level mods or is the level requirement just pointless?
    The difference is in the way they look , a lvl 50 piece of gear will look a lot beter than a lvl 20 piece of gear .

Quote Originally Posted by asharia View Post
    get an orange in every slot when you're levelling. then just spend your commendations on the mods to keep each piece up to date.

thats what i did anyway.
    Has anyone else noticed though, that DPS/healing mods from the vendors are *much* harder to get and less worthwhile than tank mods? I've leveled a Jedi Shadow (DPS) to 26 and a Sith Marauder to 36 and it's the same problem with both. The Vendor always has (at a minimum) 2 levels of "Guardian" and "Force Wielder" in all three of "Mod", "Armoring", and "Hilt"; but usually only one (lower of the two levels) level of "Resolve" or "Might", and often only the "Hilt" and "Armoring", no "mod". It's not so bad on my Sith, as she has Artificing so makes her own "mods" and "hilts", but on my Jedi I feel like I'm either screwing myself on level or on stats no matter what I do (and no one sells the low level mods on the GTN on my server).

The stats are still better than just using greens or blues most of the time, so it's worthwhile to level in oranges most of the time anyway, but it's annoying. I go to the mods vendor expecting to upgrade most of my stuff 2-3 levels after finishing a planet and I'm lucky if I can get one level instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mstieler View Post
    The only pieces this won't work with are the class-specific ones, but those are relatively rare, like Blade Tyrant's Greaves, requiring Sith Warrior.
    Yep I forgot to mention that, there are some class specific items that indeed cannot be remodded and worn by another class than it was originally intended for.

---------- Post added 2012-02-02 at 03:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroWashu View Post
    No offense to bioware, but the pvp and pve end game sets look like crap and are one reason why many of us are clamoring for the ability to strip mods out of them and put into armor we actually like to wear. I wish they would give class assignments to companions, I have some great looking gear my companion cannot equip simply because they don't have a class identifier. They have all the same traits, just no name,
    Not necessarily agree with all sets, but yes some of the high level sets really do like bad (case in point: Consular, the helm is atrocious). The Smuggler on the other hand looks imho very nice. I don't know how things are on the other side of the fence, ie Emperor gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    there are sill missing orange pieces, like offhand stuff (vibroknife) but the rest are good. you can go lv 10 -> 50 with the same armor if you keep it in good shape with mods from the different planets you go to.

I do see Cybertech as the way to go - so knowing someone with purples would be significantly beneficial.

CUSTOM gear is great for many reasons - provided that the player can find a graphic they enjoy, or can be comfortable with...
    Being able to configure the stats how ever I want, is the best reason, because it's easier to choose an available armor plating than it is to find a piece of gear with the stats that *I* need.

***** Also - I'm still trying to find a CUSTOM Heavy BELT and BRACER, L35 or below, Light (or not), Republic. Don't care how or where, I can get / find it...
    Spacebar spacebar spacebar spacebar click-selection spacebar spacebar click-selection spacebar spacebar dark-side.

Along these lines...

Does anyone know if Flashpoints are set to only drop loot from bosses for classes (not neccessarily specs) of the ones in it at the time?

I ask as I like keeping my Sentinal in Smuggler gear (with Jedi mods of course) for the neat look...but never seem to see Smuggler gear without one in the group...and I'm not quite that much a tool to roll Need on it over him

Well...not often at least

Quote Originally Posted by asharia View Post
    get an orange in every slot when you're levelling. then just spend your commendations on the mods to keep each piece up to date.

thats what i did anyway.
    thats the most efficient and boring at same time, takes abit that awe effect when getting a upgrade.

Not critizing anyone that does it