Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    So, your argument against Romney being moderate, is the debate where he was moderate?

What did you expect Republicans to do? Say they give up and just vote for Obama?
    My argument (read: problem) with Romney is that he will say anything to get elected and he will pander to anyone that will help his cause.

A Democratic Senate & Congress won't make much of a difference. The Blue Dogs will fold and vote with Republicans lest they be seen as being obstructionists, which is how the Republicans interest groups will paint any Democratic member up for re-election come the midterms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KingHorse View Post
    So here's hoping Romney wins, Republicans get tossed out of the House and Senate, and the new Democrat Congress doesn't pull the same bullshit the current Republican Congress does.
    I'm actually hoping for the opposite. If Romney wins, I want Repubs to have full control of house and senate. If Obama wins, I want the Dems to have control. I'm sick of the cockblocking, and I'm fairly certain the Dems would be just as bad out of spite.

Whether its full Republican control or full Democrat control, at the very least shit will get passed, and we can actually see if it works, or see if it fails.

I mean while a lot of people don't like the ppaca, I think everyone can agree that our healthcare system needed to be reformed. At least now we can see if it works, and tinker with the bill as more information becomes available.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    Whether its full Republican control or full Democrat control, at the very least shit will get passed, and we can actually see if it works, or see if it fails.
    Last time we had full republican control we got 2 wars, patriot act, blocked stem cell research, turned a surplus into a deficit and made it so even Putin called us warmongers. No, I'll pass on that again...

Last time we had full republican control we got 2 wars, patriot act, blocked stem cell research, turned a surplus into a deficit and made it so even Putin called us warmongers. No, I'll pass on that again...
    We? I thought you were Russian. Apologize if incorrect.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    We? I thought you were Russian. Apologize if incorrect.
    I've been here (each coast) for 23 years. Voted for Kerry and Obama (legally)! Have a Bush signed (stamp) citizenship.

I made a Beach Party USA joke in the other thread. I'm a proud American.
    Last edited by Felya; 2012-10-14 at 03:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a pretty simplistic way of looking at everything, and theres really no evidence to say that Democrats wouldn't have acted quite similarly.

But I guess my point is that I'd rather have their policies be implemented and fail, than have a stalemate for the next 8 years.

And as a side note, the house and senate voted for federal funding of stem cell research in 2005 (republican controlled), but Bush vetoed the bill.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a pretty simplistic way of looking at everything, and theres really no evidence to say that Democrats wouldn't have acted quite similarly.
    Those are results of their actions, without democrats acting as part of checks and balances. I'm not blaming either the Internet bubble or 9/11 on republican. Just specific action they took.

Like your comment about stem cell research, Gore would not have vetoed it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those are results of their actions, without democrats acting as part of checks and balances. I'm not blaming either the Internet bubble or 9/11 on republican. Just specific action they took.

Like your comment about stem cell research, Gore would not have vetoed it.
    Party affiliations are not meant to be checks and balances, but simply the will of the voting populace. If the majority of the country votes in Republicans to congress, then we get Republican based bills passed as an outcome.

But if you had to pick between the anal plug that we've had in congress since 2010, or a republican controlled congress actually passing legislation that may or may not help, which would you choose? I know the latter has a sour taste, but the former is just a complete waste of time/money. Sure I'd love to see bipartisanship again, but those days seem long gone.

I've been here (each coast) for 23 years. Voted for Kerry and Obama (legally)! Have a Bush signed (stamp) citizenship.

I made a Beach Party USA joke in the other thread. I'm a proud American.
    Did anyone happen to find a red spy on your way here?

Party affiliations are not meant to be checks and balances, but simply the will of the voting populace. If the majority of the country votes in Republicans to congress, then we get Republican based bills passed as an outcome.

But if you had to pick between the anal plug that we've had in congress since 2010, or a republican controlled congress actually passing legislation that may or may not help, which would you choose? I know the latter has a sour taste, but the former is just a complete waste of time/money. Sure I'd love to see bipartisanship again, but those days seem long gone.
    Given that we're looking at a continuation of Bush's policies, I don't think there's a convincing case to be made for the "may or" part of that statement.

10+ Year Old Account

Honestly I think I'd vote for the anal plug.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

So because they decide to be dicks and obstruct everything you should just let them have their way?

10+ Year Old Account
    I would rather have congress not progress than I would like for it to regress.

and this is the root of the GOP strategy. either vote them in or they wont allow anything to get done. my way or fuck you mentality. it's bullying tactics from a group that loves to cry victim. should be the "irony party"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    I would rather have congress not progress than I would like for it to regress.
    But would you rather have it in a gridlock than regress?

10+ Year Old Account
    Congress not doing anything is better than actively making things worse, yes. I don't see a strictly partisan government with the two parties we have right now being able to properly represent the people of the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    But would you rather have it in a gridlock than regress?
    Here is a promise as a Democrat. If any Democrat goes along with anything Romney suggest if he wins I will vote for whoever the hardline challenger is. Romney is poison for this country.

Democrats can play that same game that Republicans have been playing since 2010.

While I agree the strict partisanship of some republicans is a problem, you doing the same thing for the democrats makes you part of the problem. We need votes based on knowledge rather than party lines. This country will continue to devolve so long as we have those who can only see through "partisan-tinted glasses". While my voting leans pretty heavily left, I can hardly say all Republicans are the problem, as some of their logic is understandable. The problem is ignorance and the belief that only one party can be right, that the opposing party is out to specifically destroy this country.

Only way to solve the issue we have right now is to have it crash completely and start from scratch. So just enjoy what we got right now because if Romney gets in there and slashes tax rates and start cutting social programs we are screwed.

Go ask Romney where in his budget does it account for another war in the middle east or fuck for that matter anything going wrong. There budget works if nothing happens. Dems are going to fight them tooth and nail.

Now Romney may be lying through his teeth on multiple occasions. But don't point it out or you're a fascist.