10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    If I were a Republican president, this would be my attempt to compromise with the left:

Almost every single gun-related crime is committed with a handgun. They are cheap, easy to conceal, and that makes them easy to kill innocent people. Now as I've expressed before, I believe that the right to bear arms exists for the people to take an active role in defending the nation from foreign and domestic enemies. As such, I do not believe that everyone needs a handgun. I would propose that we do not ban, but heavily restrict the distribution of handguns. We would require nationwide registries, and every handgun owner would need to take one class and periodically renew their registration on each weapon (so as to prevent undocumented trading).

Rifles, on the other hand, are rarely involved in crime, are nearly impossible to conceal, are useless at close range, and are infinitely more useful in combat. Therefore, I believe we should reduce limitations on rifle ownership. I would not go as far as to allow the sale of fully automatic rifles, but assault weapons should be available to any citizen in good mental health who has not been convicted of a violent crime.

Under these conditions, I feel that we would see a dramatic decrease in the number of gun-related crimes.
    Why are you not running for government?! At least try representative in the house while you wait for your 4th decade.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    Why are you not running for government?! At least try representative in the house while you wait for your 4th decade.
    Maybe someday I will. I'm trying to get more involved with the local republican party, but I live in a very religious town and the social conservatives are not big fans of me. They've labeled me as a liberal ever since I expressed my views on gay marriage and abortion -_-

I even offered to do a little campaigning for Romney at a local event. I was basically told to GTFO

I would try the local Democrats, but there's like 4 of them and they have 0 political power...

Deleted
    If I were a Republican president, this would be my attempt to compromise with the left:

Almost every single gun-related crime is committed with a handgun. They are cheap, easy to conceal, and that makes them easy to kill innocent people. Now as I've expressed before, I believe that the right to bear arms exists for the people to take an active role in defending the nation from foreign and domestic enemies. As such, I do not believe that everyone needs a handgun. I would propose that we do not ban, but heavily restrict the distribution of handguns. We would require nationwide registries, and every handgun owner would need to take one class and periodically renew their registration on each weapon (so as to prevent undocumented trading).

Rifles, on the other hand, are rarely involved in crime, are nearly impossible to conceal, are useless at close range, and are infinitely more useful in combat. Therefore, I believe we should reduce limitations on rifle ownership. I would not go as far as to allow the sale of fully automatic rifles, but assault weapons should be available to any citizen in good mental health who has not been convicted of a violent crime.

Under these conditions, I feel that we would see a dramatic decrease in the number of gun-related crimes.
    On the other hand, handguns are the most common self-defense firearm.
    The thugs who hold their guns sideways when firing will unfortunately not take the handgun class.

A much easier (and eventually inevitable) compromise would be to drop the jesus crap.
    Last edited by mmoc43ae88f2b9; 2012-11-01 at 10:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    *sigh* I guess there's no hope for the republican party if the crazies keep alienating the moderates.

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post

The thugs who hold their guns sideways when firing will unfortunately not take the handgun class.
    If you want to have a very lethal weapon for the purposes of self defense I don't see how having to take a class to use it is that bad. I have to take classes to make sure I know how to operate a vehicle.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a big supporter of combat knives. But then, there's a debate over those too...

Anyway, I'm not proposing a ban of handguns. I'm just suggesting heavier regulation on them in exchange for lighter regulation on rifles. Law-abiding citizens could still own and carry them, provided they took a safety class and routinely re-registered it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    If you want to have a very lethal weapon for the purposes of self defense I don't see how having to take a class to use it is that bad. I have to take classes to make sure I know how to operate a vehicle.
    It's certainly useful if the people don't know how to use them. Not all gun buyers are first timers though. It also raises the cost of acquiring a weapon for self defense.

I'm a big supporter of combat knives. But then, there's a debate over those too...
    Yeah I'm sure old grandma is going to go ninja on the big thug that's robbing her.

It's certainly useful if the people don't know how to use them. Not all gun buyers are first timers though. It also raises the cost of acquiring a weapon for self defense.
    No one is saying they should have to take classes for each purchase. And yes, yes it does. If you want to drop a couple hundred on a handgun a couple more bucks to make sure you know how to not kill your neighbor on accident is not an unreasonable burden. There are cheaper and arguably more effective means of protecting your home if its too much work.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like to point out that despite the fact that I love guns and Wells hates them, it sounds like we actually have very similar stances on gun control...

Why is it that we can work out a compromise in a few minutes, but politicians have been failing to do it for decades?

I like nothing more than effective legislation. Flat bans aren't very effective, nor are guns as a whole really the problem. But registration? Tracking ammo purchases? Limiting RoF and clip size? All of those can help prevent horrible tragedies while placing no undue burden on gun owners nor prevent those who would use them to defend themselves from doing so.

What really pisses me off are concealed carry laws.

10+ Year Old Account
    there should be 3 requirements that gun owners should meet:
    1- Yo know how to use it. (classes)
    2- You don't lose it. (gun safe/registration)
    3- You are mentally healthy. (idk medical records or psy evaluation)
    If they meet those they should be able to enjoy their second amendment rights going to defending themselves the range and going hunting.
    On a side note
    I think the crazies might have a point with not wanting their guns registered because I don't think they would all qualify as mentally healthy.
    Last edited by Vizardlorde; 2012-11-01 at 10:58 PM.

but i dont have to retake drivers ed every time i buy a new car either. a one time thing would be fine imo

10+ Year Old Account
    I like nothing more than effective legislation. Flat bans aren't very effective, nor are guns as a whole really the problem. But registration? Tracking ammo purchases? Limiting RoF and clip size? All of those can help prevent horrible tragedies while placing no undue burden on gun owners nor prevent those who would use them to defend themselves from doing so.

What really pisses me off are concealed carry laws.
    But you could live with open carry?

Also if you want to know why gun laws in this country are so insane and why the issue is so impossible Kalyyn you need look no further than the NRA

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    there should be 3 requirements that gun owners should meet:
    1- Yo know how to use it. (classes)
    2- You don't lose it. (gun safe)
    3- You are mentally healthy. (idk medical records or psy evaluation)
    This sounds pretty solid to me. And adding in routine registration would make sure that you still have it.

But you could live with open carry?
    With provisions. There's no reason you should get to be toting around your handgun at a school and a private property should be free to set gun access as they see fit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also if you want to know why gun laws in this country are so insane and why the issue is so impossible Kalyyn you need look no further than the NRA
    There's probably truth to that. Personally, I would gladly accept more handgun restrictions if I could have a pistol grip on my rifles in every state. As it is, if I ever have to move to California then I have to give up all of my rifles, because all of them have pistol grips.

There's probably truth to that. Personally, I would gladly accept more handgun restrictions if I could have a pistol grip on my rifles in every state. As it is, if I ever have to move to California then I have to give up all of my rifles, because all of them have pistol grips.
    There's no doubt that while most people wanting gun control laws have their heart in the right place they often lack some of the technical knowledge that goes into specific legislation on the issue.

Why is it that we can work out a compromise in a few minutes, but politicians have been failing to do it for decades?
    Because we're not pandering for votes.

(for the record, I agree with you. I own three guns--2 rifles and a shotgun--and I'd be for harsher regulation on handguns).

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    With provisions. There's no reason you should get to be toting around your handgun at a school and a private property should be free to set gun access as they see fit.
    I would agree with that. Schools are a given, and I'd say hospitals too. What would be really neat is if public places with gun bans had gun lockers at the front desk where you could drop your gun off before entering.