Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    It's quite clear from the number of replies that people are much more excited about Republicans than there are about dusty ol' Obama.

I kid, people! I kid.
    Well, to be fair, they have to try to drag down the republican nominee. Even though the people on this board already know who they are voting for. I think the gay marriage thing is going to end up hurting obama. He will eventually have to pick a side. I guess he will try and keep black voters by saying that he is against gay marriage.....that is, AFTER he takes all the money from the gay marriage supporters in hollywood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobdoletoo View Post
    Well, to be fair, they have to try to drag down the republican nominee. Even though the people on this board already know who they are voting for. I think the gay marriage thing is going to end up hurting obama. He will eventually have to pick a side. I guess he will try and keep black voters by saying that he is against gay marriage.....that is, AFTER he takes all the money from the gay marriage supporters in hollywood.
    There is money in other places too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Biston View Post
    There is money in other places too.
    If he came out against gay marriage right now, do you think Clooney would still be throwing that millions of dollars fundraiser for him? Do you think the hollywood establishment would be there to give them the money?

You also say that there is other money, but he has thrown more fundraisers then the last 5 presidents combined and still has raised less money then George Bush did. The money is not there because he lost all the wall street people. If he loses the hollywood people, who will he go to?

10+ Year Old Account
    If he came out against gay marriage right now, do you think Clooney would still be throwing that millions of dollars fundraiser for him? Do you think the hollywood establishment would be there to give them the money?

You also say that there is other money, but he has thrown more fundraisers then the last 5 presidents combined and still has raised less money then George Bush did. The money is not there because he lost all the wall street people. If he loses the hollywood people, who will he go to?
    I can think of a couple of big donor types, but people are all 'Obama has raised less money!'

Yeah, but SuperPACs. I would be willing to be that SuperPAC spending exceeds campaign spending by a 10:1 ratio.
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

I can think of a couple of big donor types, but people are all 'Obama has raised less money!'

Yeah, but SuperPACs. I would be willing to be that SuperPAC spending exceeds campaign spending by a 10:1 ratio.
    Every time i look at your avatar i think of grandma's boy where they are talking about growing antlers and becoming deer but need to fear the lion.

My point is, he is not picking a side on purpose. He needs all the big gay marriage supporter money, he needs Geffen's money. It would hurt him to lose it. But , as California showed us, most black people are against gay marriage. If he comes out for gay marriage before the election, he loses some of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every time i look at your avatar i think of grandma's boy where they are talking about growing antlers and becoming deer but need to fear the lion.

My point is, he is not picking a side on purpose. He needs all the big gay marriage supporter money, he needs Geffen's money. It would hurt him to lose it. But , as California showed us, most black people are against gay marriage. If he comes out for gay marriage before the election, he loses some of them.
    He doesn't need the money. His effort needs the money.

If there's $100M earmarked for the election, even if Obama comes out against gay marriage, gay marriage supporters aren't going to suddenly shift to the Republican candidate unless it's the human miracle, Ron Paul.

Yeah given the current GOP I don't think he has to worry too much about the gay vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Yeah given the current GOP I don't think he has to worry too much about the gay vote.
    What if they vote independent and he loses their votes? Even if they won't vote Republican, they may not vote Democrat.

---------- Post added 2012-05-08 at 07:19 PM ----------

He doesn't need the money. His effort needs the money.

If there's $100M earmarked for the election, even if Obama comes out against gay marriage, gay marriage supporters aren't going to suddenly shift to the Republican candidate unless it's the human miracle, Ron Paul.
    It's all about votes. Money - votes. If he comes out anti gay marriage, he could lose money and votes, even if they do not go to a Republican, they are votes lost.

What if they vote independent and he loses their votes?
    For who.
    Even if they won't vote Republican, they may not vote Democrat.
    Not terribly concerned. When one party fundamentally attacks your rights to be equal the other party is your best friend.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't be too sure about what the gay vote would do...in the 2010 election 33% of them voted Republican. 33%! I couldn't believe it when I read that. talk about shooting yourself in the foot.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    For who.

Not terribly concerned. When one party fundamentally attacks your rights to be equal the other party is your best friend.
    Libertarian presidential candidate Gary Johnson said on Steve Cochran's radio show yesterday that he will "be unequivocally supporting gay marriage" and criticized both President Obama and Mitt Romney for their records on the issue.
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/rosiegray/ga...-on-gay-marria

Oh well then I'm sure all the gay people will vote for Gary Johnson in droves.

Quote Originally Posted by Chonogo View Post
    Perhaps the ones in NC might.

Amendment 1 passed, by a landslide.
    This is really why conservatives want more state power and less federal power. Constitution? Nah. It's because it's easier to pass stuff like this when you can rely on a local majority of backwards thinkers.

Even worse, it's in their state constitution now. Good luck EVER getting that part out. It will be as difficult as getting slavery out of Southern constitutions.
    I'm not sure on this but I think if the SC rules that the equal protection clause applies to gay marriage, which they should if it gets that high, that will void the various state level amendments.

Are there current cases being filed for that?
    I have no idea. This stuff crawls at a glacial pace anyway.

Now if only we could get more federal judges to handle the workload. I wonder how we can get that done?
    Maybe its like the Tea Party Reps who got elected, and now refuse to vote on anything, and then say 'The government does not work because nothing is being passed!'

10+ Year Old Account
    Huh. 30 states now constitutionally ban gay marriage. If they get up to like 35, they can get it in the US constitution where it can live forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    8 more needed, technically. If my math is correct.
    You are correct. Don't know where I got 35 from. It is 38.

If they get a majority of voters in 38 states to ratify the amendment, BAM! Fuck off gay people.

You are correct. Don't know where I got 35 from. It is 38.

If they get a majority of voters in 38 states to ratify the amendment, BAM! Fuck off gay people.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but wouldn't they need it passed to Congress and then through the president with it being supported by at least 38 states? Or does it just automatically add itself to the US constitution if 38 states pass it?