10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FusedMass View Post
    I'm just sad, not for myself. But for the poor kids that Mitt will throw into the streets by cutting public education. We are fighting for the very lifes of the future of the kids. And the oil will destroy and taint our resources.
    Kids will not be thrown into the streets. At worst they will be put into overcrowded classrooms.

I get that you are passionate and "bleed blue" as you said -- but you have got to realize these over-the-top statements don't do much for discussion and really undermine your credibility right? It's the same thing as when the right posters go all "where's his birth certificate? lululul"
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bergmann620 View Post
    I'm not, as I haven't 'seen' the evidence for either engagement. In both cases, we're functioning on degrees of likelihood. You can't base the 'rightness' of the evidence on the result.
    When results are success and a war, you really can.

The 'evidence' (read: assumptions based on prior knowledge), says that the Lakers stand a good chance to win the championship next year. Them winning or loosing doesn't retroactively affect the quality of those prognostications.
    Evidence is the knowledge that assumptions are based on. What you think evidence is, mostley likely means speculation. Because it's speculators that are predicting a Laker championship, not evidence. There is no evidence that the team will work, only speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Kids will not be thrown into the streets. At worst they will be put into overcrowded classrooms.

I get that you are passionate and "bleed blue" as you said -- but you have got to realize these over-the-top statements don't do much for discussion and really undermine your credibility right? It's the same thing as when the right posters go all "where's his birth certificate? lululul"
    Are you a republican?

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you a republican?
    Nope. I just am hyper-analytical and logical.

Appeals to emotion tend to turn me off because the reality is quite different.

Just like Obama isn't going to destroy America in the second term and implement Sharia law, Romney will not round up all the poor and kill them and throw our children into the streets.

Now, will Romney's policies result in a continuation of declining educational standards in the US? Quite possibly...but that requires a more data backed argument than "think of the childreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen"
    Forum badass alert:

I am a cancer and my that is my water sign. I am bound by emotion and I am sorry if that bothers you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just sad, not for myself. But for the poor kids that Mitt will throw into the streets by cutting public education. We are fighting for the very lifes of the future of the kids. And the oil will destroy and taint our resources.
    This is as crazy as Obama winning will destroy America.

Obama campaign is already running ads hitting Romney on the 5 trillion dollar tax cut thing.

Also some number crunching on Romney's claims.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am a cancer and my that is my water sign. I am bound by emotion and I am sorry if that bothers you.
    What bothers me about it, is not the emotion of it, but the same thing that bothers me when people claim Obama is out to destroy America. It is not emotion, but baseless hysteria. It represents the worst of polotics.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am bound by emotion and I am sorry if that bothers you.
    I wouldn't say that it bothers me personally. I just don't find those types of statements compelling. I'm a Libra if that means anything (sure it won't come as a surprise I don't put much stock in that).

I am friends with several emotionally driven people and I know they often don't realize how they come across to others who are not like them.

My statement wasn't meant to be insulting -- I was trying to show that such hyperbole is not likely to get people to listen. I tend to operate under the assumption that people post on forums because they want an audience and dialogue. I know that isn't always true -- some use forums as a blog sometimes...

So, from my perspective when someone says something like "Romney will have our children out on the street" my response is "Oh come on, SERIOUSLY?" because if you move away from the emotion and look at it logically, there is just no way that would happen -- at least not on the scale you are implying.

The reality is usually somewhere between logic and emotion since people tend to operate using both.

Anyway this is kinda off-topic so I'll leave it at that.
    Forum badass alert:

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    What bothers me about it, is not the emotion of it, but the same thing that bothers me when people claim Obama is out to destroy America. It is not emotion, but baseless hysteria. It represents the worst of polotics.
    If the right can do it. Why cannot I?

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    This is from CNN

"That particular jab seemed to beg for a pointed response about privilege that never came."

They are criticizing Obama for NOT taking cheap shots and making personal attacks. Really!? A guy takes the high road and gets flak for it?
    Ok so here where I have to throw the bullshit flag. EVERYTIME Obama got even remotely negative he dipped in that little independent survey thing CNN did. If that was me last night I would have been interrupting Romney every other damn word he said.

Republican hypocrisy is in full over drive right now. I am seriously to the point where I hope Obama just tears him a new asshole to the point he runs off the stage crying or gets so pissed he starts fighting.

Someone needs to put these Republicans in their place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mainly because two wrongs don't make a right. Personally I find it better to call out the bad behavior and try to correct it than joining them in the mud pit.

If we want the political environment to improve, that won't happen if both sides resort to the worst of behavior.
    Forum badass alert:

10+ Year Old Account
    Astrology is unproven and unfounded, ma'am. I'm sorry if that bothers you.
    Last edited by Grizzly Willy; 2012-10-04 at 08:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, the right does not do it. A segment of the right and the left cries out in hysteria during every election. You can do it if you want, but be aware it will serve as a turn off for people, just like it is for you when the right does it. Hysteria like you posted, makes me want to defend Romney, even though I am voting for Obama. I like your links way more than the hysteria...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    When results are success and a war, you really can.

Evidence is the knowledge that assumptions are based on. What you think evidence is, mostley likely means speculation. Because it's speculators that are predicting a Laker championship, not evidence. There is no evidence that the team will work, only speculation.
    No, you actually can't.

There is the knowledge that they have four of the top fifteen or so players in the league, which leads to the assumption that they are a favorite to win.
    indignantgoat.com/
    XBL: Indignant Goat | BattleTag: IndiGoat#1288 | SteamID: Indignant Goat[/B]

10+ Year Old Account
    And if we call out the right for doing, you can be fucking sure that we'll call the left out for doing it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Astrology is unproven and unfounded, ma'am. I'm sorry if that bothers you.
    Well there goes my entire world view... damn it, now I have to find a new identity for myself. (/sarcasm)

Anyway, I don't mind a little bit of argumentation from emotion, so long as there are also facts involved, and the emotional response naturally follows from the facts.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Know what would be great? If debates were pre-taped and had to be combed through for falsehoods or misleading info before being made public.

Last night's debate would be:

"Hi, I'm Barack Obama and it's my 20th anniversary today!

"Hi, I'm Mitt Romney and it's his 20th anniversary today!"

"I'm Jim Lehrer, and good night."

if anything relevant is said during a debate someone fucked up. that's why i just catch the highlights for lols

10+ Year Old Account
    There is the knowledge that they have four of the top fifteen or so players in the league, which leads to the assumption that they are a favorite to win.
    Are you really saying that the evidence you have for lakers winning a championship is the same type of evidence as used for Iraq war and Bin Laden?

We know that the lakers have WMD in Howard, just like every other team in the NBA wanted to as well. We do not need evidence that NBA teams want a WMD, because their whole point is to win. What you are doing is speculating that lakers will win, because Miami and Boston are more than happy to try and convince you that their WMDs are the best. The evidance for war or Bin laden, is unlike sports teams, who tell you every move that will get them closer to winning, so you speculate and buy tickets.