Page 1 of 630
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

U.S. Presidential race - Democrat Discussion

As we draw closer to the U.S. presidential race, we're condensing our threads into two. One for the Republican candidates, and one for the Democrats.

Barack Obama is currently the incumbent, so there's not really any options for candidates, but feel free to discuss anything here.

http://www.barackobama.com/
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-02-02 at 08:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This *might* be the first year I support a democrat. Depends on what the other side does.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    This *might* be the first year I support a democrat. Depends on what the other side does.
    Good to hear Kalyyn stick to that train of thought!

My thoughts on Obama, I remember 4 years ago how I thought he was a fresh air of wind in comparison to anything els the big land in the west brought forward, granted I was no fan of Bush so most of what he "preached" sounded fantastic in my ears.

In retrospect I'm slightly disappointed with him though, granted he has had a very tough 4 year period with the economic crisis and the wars and most importantly an unreasonable republican party that seem to think it's more important to make life hard for Obama then make life easy for the average American.

I still think this guy can achive some great things but he needs the support from the senate and house or els the GOP might keep stear USA into an unavoidable crash stop by stalling and stopping even reasonable suggestions. I think Obama has grown a thicker skin now, he was naive at the start of his period trying to actually deal and reason with the GOP, I guess he had some grand thoughts of uniting the country behind one leader. :P
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

If Obama won't do the job for 4 other years, could you Americans please send him over to Europe? He'd make a great politician here where we're in dire need of charismatic and idealistic people

Other than that I'm pressing my thumbs for this guy. He's the only US politician with a true humanistic core I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Lylandra View Post
    If Obama won't do the job for 4 other years, could you Americans please send him over to Europe? He'd make a great politician here where we're in dire need of charismatic and idealistic people

Other than that I'm pressing my thumbs for this guy. He's the only US politician with a true humanistic core I know.
    Obama would not last a minute in European politics... We dont have people so far right do we...? Then again - if he came here where theres already healthcare and whatnot he would come to our left

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the nominee is gonna be Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Deleted
    Well I hope Obama wins. Republican candidates are pretty awful in my opinion this year. Obama has the ability to mend America's economy but the Republicans just block everything he tries to do,quite pathetic really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by digal View Post
    Well I hope Obama wins. Republican candidates are pretty awful in my opinion this year. Obama has the ability to mend America's economy but the Republicans just block everything he tries to do,quite pathetic really.
    see I'm quite disappointed in Obama really. I feel he caves too much, and isn't strong enough to accomplish what needs to be done. however the republican field is so unqualified I don't think I could vote for any of them.

---------- Post added 2012-02-02 at 10:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    I think the nominee is gonna be Obama.
    gee insightful,

A republican president causes or at least is partly responsible for the recession and they want to blame a democrat for not fixing things quick enough? I feel bad for Obama, but more for american politics since its gotten to the point that the mere fact that he suggested it means it MUST be wrong

It would have been interesting, and I think best for the party, if somebody had stepped up (or been able to step up) and challenge Obama in the primaries.. Many disillusioned Obama supporters have been jumping ship over the past 6 months or so and it doesn't bode well for the election. That is, unless the Republicans tear themselves to pieces first.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McSpriest View Post
    see I'm quite disappointed in Obama really. I feel he caves too much, and isn't strong enough to accomplish what needs to be done. however the republican field is so unqualified I don't think I could vote for any of them.
    The caving in is a double edged sword. He is caving in to a congress that was nearly swept by an opposing party during mid term election and was seen as a referendum against his actions. If there was such an overwhelming negative response, caving in his own ideals is simply responding to American voters during mid term elections.

I'm disappointed in him mostly because of his foreign policy. I thought gitmo was going to be closed and Afghanistan war would end. Good job ending Iraq, but living near a large military base, I still see pictures of just over 20 year old kids being dead on the local news nearly daily because of our wars. I might have been misguided or a bit too hopeful, but I was expecting more troops coming home and sooner. I really wish we had a moderate candidate with Ron Paul's foreign policy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    I might have been misguided or a bit too hopeful, but I was expecting more troops coming home and sooner. I really wish we had a moderate candidate with Ron Paul's foreign policy.
    You, sir, are my kind of guy.
    Scratch a cynic and you'll find a disappointed idealist - George Carlin (1937-2008)

The article linked below details the narrowing path to victory for President Obama.
    http://decoded.nationaljournal.com/2...ws-steeper.php

Obama needs 270 electoral votes to win. The chart at the bottom of the page ranks each state by Obama's approval rating in that state. To sum up the article and chart, just to reach 270, Obama will need to carry Virginia, where he has a terrible 44.5% approval rating, plus one of the following scenarios:

a. carry Georgia, where his approval rating is 44.6%, a state which almost never votes democrat.
    b. carry Oregon, a democrat state where he has a 44.5% approval rating, plus North Carolina, a republican state where he has a 43.7% approval rating.

All other paths to 270 are far worse for Obama. His Florida approval rating is 43.6%. That will go republican in 2012. His Ohio approval rating is down to 42.1%. That will go republican. After that, you fall into states where he is around 40% or lower.

Obama is in serious trouble, because Virginia is far from a lock. We're assuming Virginia goes for Obama just to find a path to 270 for him. Iowa isn't even a lock, where Obama has a 45.6% approval rating. Further complicating matters is Michigan, which is well within Romney's striking distance, and Romney has deep ties to the state, as his father was governor there.

---------- Post added 2012-02-02 at 09:44 PM ----------

Here's another article that shows just how badly Obama is hurting.
    http://www.politico.com/politico44/2...ls-112759.html

Obama, Romney tied in swing state polls

By BYRON TAU | 1/30/12 6:44 AM EST

Romney holds a one point lead over President Obama among voters in Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Michigan, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Wisconsin, drawing 48 percent of the vote to Obama's 47 percent.

Romney holds a 1 point lead over Obama in all of those states. To put this news in perspective, Obama needs to sweep all of those states to win re-election, expect maybe Florida. If those states are split between Obama and Romney, Romney wins easily.

Long time until the election and Obama has barely started running.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Long time until the election and Obama has barely started running.
    Really? From Jan to July, just this year, he took 25 domestic trips on AF1, of which 22 involved either a fundraiser, travel to a presidential battleground state, or both.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
    Really? From Jan to July, just this year, he took 25 domestic trips on AF1, of which 22 involved either a fundraiser, travel to a presidential battleground state, or both.
    Wait until the debates start. When the media is covering pretty much nothing but the republican circus, the other guy in town is not going to do well in polls. Once they start debating and running ads, things might look a bit differently.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Wait until the debates start. When the media is covering pretty much nothing but the republican circus, the other guy in town is not going to do well in polls. Once they start debating and running ads, things might look a bit differently.
    I don't understand this. Wait until which debates start? Debates between who, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
    I don't understand this. Wait until which debates start? Debates between who, exactly?
    The Three Scheduled Debates between Obama and whoever ends up being the Republican Candidate? We are also scheduled to get one debate between Igor (Biden) and whoever the Rep Candidate chooses as his VP Nominee.

10+ Year Old Account
    Obama will wipe the floor with any of the rejects the GOP has fielded. I just hope he has learned something from the last 4 years about heavily divided politics.

Had I (and I'm sure many others) known how easy he had it in Chicago, I would have voted for Hillary. Expirence was never really even brought up in 2008, she had him well trumped in that area but we just never heard about it.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    The Three Scheduled Debates between Obama and whoever ends up being the Republican Candidate? We are also scheduled to get one debate between Igor (Biden) and whoever the Rep Candidate chooses as his VP Nominee.
    Oh I got ya. You're saying that Obama will get a bump once the primaries are over? You think his poll numbers will go up during the presidential debates? Or down?