Am I Missing Something?

So I've leveled a Sith Marauder to 36 and a Jedi Shadow (DPS) to 26, and I've noticed the same problem on both toons. The commendation mod vendors (and to a lesser extent the regular mod vendors) seem to hate DPS specs. For both the Sith Warrior and Jedi Consular classes there's two types of "useful" gear mods. For Consular there "Force Wielder" which is heavy endurance and a bit of willpower, and "Resolve" which is heavy willpower and a bit of Endurance. For Sith Warriors there's "Guardian" and "Might" which are strength and endurance the same way. Clearly the Force Wielder and Guardian are "tank" mods and Resolve and Might are "DPS" mods (also healers probably use Resolve, but I don't have one so I'm not sure).

The problem is that at pretty much every mod vendor I've come across there's two-three levels worth of "Guardian" and "Force Wielder" stuff, in Hilts, Armoring, and Mods. There's usually only one level (always the lowest level the vendor offers of the tank gear) of "Resolve" or "Might" stuff, and often it's only Hilts and Armoring, no Mods. My SW can make hilts and mods, so it's slightly less of a problem for her, but my JS is biochem, so he's constantly behind the curve on his orange gear. It's still better than what you can get in greens or blues generally, so I keep buying the inferior stuff, but am I missing something? Is there somewhere to get the DPS mods at the same level levels you get tank mods for a similar cost? Am I just supposed to use tank mods while leveling?

It's been driving me kinda nuts.. Every time I hit a new vendor I hope that this one will have the gear I actually want, but so far I've been disappointed (also no one really seems to sell low level mods on server in the GTN).

Just to point something out, but it is my understanding that Strength and Willpower are respectively your highest DPS stats.

The Tanking mod is Endurance > WillPower or Endurance > Strength. The DPS mod is WP > Endurance and Strength > Endurance.

The crit chance and other such stats are actually inferior stats and you shouldn't sacrifice your main stat (WP and Strength) for them unless they far outweigh the other. (I don't have any hard numbers, but I expect 10 crit chance = 1 WP or something).

Also, for every Guardian mod, you have the equivalent Resolve one. I haven't come accross any vendors that have one or the other.

EDIT:

Ignore the top part I misread your post. I have never had a commendation mod vendor that had one or the other. They always have the equivalent Blue Mods. The inferior non-commendation vendors I have no experience with, because I don't like buying greens with credits.
    Last edited by Rakoth; 2012-02-02 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakoth View Post
    Just to point something out, but it is my understanding that Strength and Willpower are respectively your highest DPS stats.

The Tanking mod is Endurance > WillPower or Endurance > Strength. The DPS mod is WP > Endurance and Strength > Endurance.

The crit chance and other such stats are actually inferior stats and you shouldn't sacrifice your main stat (WP and Strength) for them unless they far outweigh the other. (I don't have any hard numbers, but I expect 10 crit chance = 1 WP or something).

Also, for every Guardian mod, you have the equivalent Resolve one. I haven't come accross any vendors that have one or the other.
    Yes, What I'm saying is that the Str > End or WP > End mods are much less common than the End > Str or End > WP ones. The tank mods are much more available, the DPS mods are lower level and sometimes not available at all at the vendors.

I never found that stat difference all that important at lower levels. I mean, its like moving +2 to from one stat to another. Later on enhancements start to broaden to include more than just endurance. Still throughout the process I never really felt my gear was all that important other than my weapon and my companions weapon. For everything but hilts/barrels I tend to be really slack, item level jumps when I make them can be 20%... where as that hilt/barrel is done as soon as I can. Example, low level loot numbers, item level 28 armor - I will hold on to it until I get something akin to 35+ or if its modifiable I will replace the items in it regardless when I am leaving the world and have badges to blow.

So don't get wrapped up in dps/tank stat differences, none of it matters till the end
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

Rakoth, you aren't even replying to the op. At all.

Yes, Drgondancer. I can't begin to understand why the mod commendation vendors are set up that way. I can see no logical reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Duskmourne View Post
    Rakoth, you aren't even replying to the op. At all.

Yes, Drgondancer. I can't begin to understand why the mod commendation vendors are set up that way. I can see no logical reason.
    I edited my reply when I reread the post. I have leveled both the shadow tank and the sage DPS and I have never encoutered this with mod vendors. Either I have had a choice between End > WP or WP > End.

Republic side, I think the Mod Commendation vendor on Nar Shadaa is one of the ones that doesn't offer much in the way of Resolve mods, but offers the full spectrum of Force Wielder ones. Leveling my JC as shadow and I've been noticing this as well. Also leveling him with cybertech so I've been able to feed my alts with appropriate mods and armor.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym
    Someone needs to take away your keyboard until you're better able to read the explicit meaning in sentences without implying whatever you want in order to be contrary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post
    It's like swatting flies with a shotgun.

it's not only with STR and WIL stats. If you look carefully, you can see that ALL the stats, AIM and CUN included, have a higher availability from modification vendors of being of greater endurance stat. It's just something you have to live with, and search out for that one holy mod.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    ...because being black means you can't be racist only prejudice.
    ...black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed.
    Did you just compare slavery to the holocaust? Don't compare them. The holocaust lasted 4 years while slavery lasted for well over 200 years at least in the US FYI

This is why one of my characters is a high level Cybertech. It irritates me a little too that the "dps" mods are one level below the other ones in the commendation vendors.

Deleted
    This is something i noticed as well, no mod commendation vendor sell the "best optimized" mod, they just sell "a" generic mod.
    for example you won't find any tanking stat on any of them (def, shield rating, absorb etc..) and these can only be obtained via flashpoints or quests. I guess it's to encourage people who want to "optimize" to search a little instead of having a single "go-to" source...

I haven't had any issues, personally...you also have to realize, you're leveling. Things are more simplified and these decisions aren't gamebreaking while leveling. The +/- 2 stat difference isn't really an issue at these lower levels, in my opinion. You can still perform more than sufficiently.

10+ Year Old Account
    At least at higher levels, the vendors will have a high primary stat mod that's one tier lower than the high endurance version. so if they have Force Wielder 17, they'll have Resolve 16. So for hilts and barrels it's definitely worth taking the higher tier one for the damage and force/tech power bonus, but for armoring you can usually get away with the lower level high primary stat ones. After that it doens't make much of a difference really.

Almost forgot, by the time you hit 50 you'll have access to level 23 purple hilt/barrel and armoring mods of all kinds from the daily commendations vendor, and the other mod slots can be picked up from heroic daily quests. Until then you can always go with buying your mods from the GTN, especially if you're leveling an alt and have a little extra money.
    Last edited by gualdhar; 2012-02-02 at 06:43 PM.
    Eire - 50 Balance and Kinetic Combat Shadow, Master Zhar Lestin server. Ace guild

Quote Originally Posted by Rakoth View Post
    I edited my reply when I reread the post. I have leveled both the shadow tank and the sage DPS and I have never encoutered this with mod vendors. Either I have had a choice between End > WP or WP > End.
    That's still not the issue.

The issue is that mod commendation vendors don't carry the same rank of mods.
    As an example, one vendor has rank 18 and 19 Force Wielder (which matches the level of the planet), but only rank 17 Resolve (which matches the level of the previous planet). You just can't buy level appropriate Resolve (DPS) mods on the same level planet.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche