10+ Year Old Account

How often do I use my weapon?

D3 noob here, just got my beta. Wondering how often I am to use my weapon attack and if their is the freedom to not use it at all. If it's not mandatory, are wepons just stat holders? I'm playing a monk right now.

Deleted
    You always use your weapon, but you don't need to "autohit" or hit without skills, unless you waste your complete resources.

Like your basic weapon attack? What Jaak said then, use it when your out of resources or need to finish off someone with little health left. Otherwise go crazy with your skills, you will be able to use more at a time as you reach higher levels.
    Last edited by Duncanîdaho; 2012-02-02 at 11:48 PM.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

All your skills scale off your weapon DPS though so don't go thinking it's not worth upgrading :V