Deleted

GW2: Mounts, pvp and mechanics thought.

Hello,

To my understanding mounts will not be apart of GW2 because they are generally used as a speed increase and because of that, boring.

However would it not be realy cool if they implemented it in such a way that the mount system mimiced mount and blade?

Not just having fighting on mounts but mounts with health and speed variations, rather than 100% speed increase the mount would have acceleration and could only go for so long at full speed. It could implement a more action game/platformer feel to this game (seeing pvp in action and players running and jumping accross rooftops seemed to hint at certain places realy having an open and interesting enviroment,) having to sprint/jump over a chasm, it would make journeys not just point A to B and watch out for the mob packs but make the enviroment treacherous, you didn't just shove on auto run you had to actively navigate. It would make the journeys interesting, which is what a game which focuses on having a massive world for you to adventure in should do.
    As traveling in warcraft was only realy interesting if it was a A brand new area, B another player encounter or C a node/rare mob (Not if B and C happened at the same time, the grief :/ ).

I also reckon this WvWvW thing would be realy cool with big cavalry charges, alowing a physics simulation to show the full force of man and beast crashing into the enemy.

I think implementing this in a target mechanic based mmo would be very difficult, where as GW2 seems to have strayed away with this, having played the warrior class at eurogamer, it felt like i was playing Fable or Witcher 2 rather than warcraft which was what i was expecting slightly.

I do play mount and blade but i think it is limited in scope. I think that an mmo would be the only way to create massive epic war battles.

So what are your thoughts? Would it be as interesting as i think it would and does anyone else have anything to add.

Thank you for reading and good day

Quote Originally Posted by Galadhrim View Post
    SNIP
    Interesting post
    Well, personally I don't feel mounts are necessary. While I do love the idea of a faithful steed, and loved this in wow and oblivion, GW2 has waypoints and also speed boosts in zone. A mount largely, funnily, amounts to avoiding mobs and or areas. I like the idea of fighting my way to a difficult area. Riding into a base, dismounting and killing a few guards plus boss doesn't really cut it for me.
    With the movement based play, I think they've designed characters to themselves do this. From pvp vids I think characters are more than mobile enough.

For the WvWvW...cavalry opens up a whole new strategic element, and totally rewrites what a pvp area must done. Cavalry charges are epic, but they're not stragetically involved unless other auxileries are involved. Purely soldier battles allow for more involved and varied gameplay I think.

We've yet to see what WvWvW will really ve like...it sounds epic, and I think it will be...but I can't wait to see and experience it. I think cavalry would diminish it tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Well, personally I don't feel mounts are necessary. While I do love the idea of a faithful steed, and loved this in wow and oblivion, GW2 has waypoints and also speed boosts in zone.
    Obviously, mounts are not necessary in any game, you're correct ;P However, I do not believe I'm the only one who finds the ability to jump to any place to want to at the speed of light to be a little bit... boring(?).

A mount largely, funnily, amounts to avoiding mobs and or areas. I like the idea of fighting my way to a difficult area. Riding into a base, dismounting and killing a few guards plus boss doesn't really cut it for me.
    This is true, but I see mounts as a more enjoyable means of exploration. Not to mention a huge gold sink for the economy and an opportunity for achievement rewards. What if mounts automatically despawned when you became activated in combat? That's what I'd like to see. I love the idea of fighting on mounts, I always have, but it's make DEs too easy. To back up what squirrel said for PvP, the maps look too small to even desire mounts. I'd be hitting a wall every 15 seconds.

For the WvWvW...cavalry opens up a whole new strategic element, and totally rewrites what a pvp area must done. Cavalry charges are epic, but they're not stragetically involved unless other auxileries are involved. Purely soldier battles allow for more involved and varied gameplay I think.
    This I do not agree with. If everyone has mounts with relatively balanced stats (maybe a standard mount for WvWvW with it's server's color as the armor), then it wouldn't make PvP more or less daunting for anyone. Yes, battles would take longer, but I think that's a good thing. Imagine this, you and 10 buddies (red team) are racing along the hills on your noble steeds, as you spot a band of 6 or so baddies (blue team). You immediately take off towards them, as you suddenly find yourselves facing a group of 20 people from the third server (green team). A green mesmer had snuck in at the last moment on your left and placed a portal in front of your path, taking you all hundreds of feet away to the exit portal, surrounded by a massive group of greens.

Your server is slightly better, and so after you've charged around in a massive struggle, your mounts die from the wounds they've taken for you. You then take out 15 greens before your group perishes. The group of 6 blues are now taking advantage of the situation, riding at full speed towards the wounded 5 greens remaining. The fresh blues take out the weakened greens easily, then have more buddies come in to take whatever resources and bases they previously could never have obtained.

Sounds epic, amirite?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the multiplayer skirmishes on Mount and Blade would definitely make an interesting battleground mechanic.

For those who haven't played that aspect of the game it works similar to battlegrounds in other mmo's but you get a set amount of gold at each spawn, increasing slightly for each person you kill before you die, which lets you buy from a shop with limited items (different bows, swords, armor etc.. nothing to make any certain person unbeatable) that just enable you to fulfil different roles. You can save your money and buy a faster/tougher mount or you can get an added piece of armor or a weapon with slightly higher damage, the reason it works well is because there are advantages for going both the mount and ground combat paths (can dodge attacks easier while unmounted and ranged weapons have better accuracy etc).

Obviously it would need to be tweeked quite abit to fit into a balanced mmo, but the core system has alot of good features that I feel could be successfully implemented into an mmo.

I would disagree with having mounts in WvWvW though, I think that system is looking spot on as it is.