Magic: the gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012

Has anyone bought this off steam? is it any fun? i used to be in to magic big time then my friends quit so i had to quit too since i had no one to play with. Is it an online only game? any details would be amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's the basic game and one expansion, plus deck packs you can buy. The two best decks I think are the zombie deck fro Deck Pack 2, and the enchantment deck from the expansion.

Each deck starts with 60 cards, and you can play opponents in campaign mode to unlock the other 20. Who you play doesn't matter, you can play the same planeswalker over and over to earn all the cards. Once you do, you can mix and match whatever you want from that deck's cards.

There are a few things you can do single-player. Campaign lets you fight through each planeswalker to the end. There are also little challenges you can do, that set you up in a specific situation and you have to figure out how to win. There's Archenemy, which has you and two others play against one opponent. Revenge is just like the Campaign mode, except your opponents have the beefed up decks with the unlocked cards. With the expansion, you can play Archenemy as the single person against the three. You can do all of this either single player or against other people.

All in all, it's fun, and actually helped me learn some rules. Just don't buy the unlockable card packs, or the foil packs, they're worthless.

steam has a pack for 36 bucks with like 10 packs the game and the expansion, the game and expansion with no decks are about half that alone

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fatalaeon View Post
    steam has a pack for 36 bucks with like 10 packs the game and the expansion, the game and expansion with no decks are about half that alone
    Yeah don't get the $36 bundle then, that's all the unlocked cards that you get just playing the game.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/12593/
    is a link to the full package, which items do i need do you think? basically what will i NOT get from playing the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Deck PACKS you need to buy, you can't unlock full decks in the game, just the extra cards for each deck. The ones that say, Foil Conversion or Full Deck, ignore.

Then again, you can just buy the basic game and see how you like it first.

well i am gonna do the math real quick and see what the cost of the game+xpac and decks are and see which is less, if its like 2 dollah difference ill just get the pack

Here is a list of all the things you would need to buy to have all the decks available to you.

Main Game - $9.99
    Expansion - $4.99
    Deck Pack 1 - $2.99
    Deck Pack 2 - $2.99
    Deck Pack 3 - $2.99

Total - Just under $24

That said, you should buy the base game first, try it out see if you like it. Then you can buy the other items later. The expansion ands a new campaign, the archenemy format, and 3 decks, and 4 additional cards for all the other decks. The deck packs simply contain 2 decks each but do add alot more to the game because there is more to choose from.

I personally play a match or two every day just to have some fun.

Note: The complete bundle also doesn't include deck pack 3.

---------- Post added 2012-02-03 at 02:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by fatalaeon View Post
    well i am gonna do the math real quick and see what the cost of the game+xpac and decks are and see which is less, if its like 2 dollah difference ill just get the pack
    Just so you know, buying the complete bundle just auto unlocks the cards in the decks for you and makes some of the cards 'foil' in your decks. Honestly, alot of people regret buying the foil thing because it is simply annoying.