Favorite Sandbox Game?

What was yours? Mine personally was GTA 4: TBoGT. Oh the memories me and my friends had in that game. Whether it was helicopter battles (no guns), going off jumps and hitting the blades, stocking up on weapons and getting six stars in the prison with sixteen people. My most cherished memory was when my friends and I got 3 APCs. We discovered that a special vehicle spawns everytime you leave the spawn area. So we got 3 of them and drove down the road, all in a straight line. Then out of nowhere an annilator came, and was firing explosive rounds. At the same time in our party someone screams "BREAK FORMATION" and in perfect sequence the first one (me) goes left, the second goes right, and the third continues straight. Coolest thing ive ever done.

Deleted
    Red Dead Redemption.

Just Cause 2 is a close second however; because it's completely hilarious to piss about in.

Deleted
    just cause 2 is a pretty fun one, when you use mods and such to get cool vehicles

Deleted
    Mount & Blade. The feel of the game is so awesome :P

Deleted
    i've got something of a love/hate relationship with sandbox games. I really like the concept of a game where you can do whatever you want, and if it's done well, it can be a great game.

however, i've tried GTA:SA, GTA4, JC 1 and 2 and Saint's row 2, and every single one of those games has the same issue for me that removes my will to play it: absolutely terrible vehicle handling. i'm serious. the problem i have is not as much driving with your keys, i can more or less handle that. however, it's having to control your camera at the same time (I tell ya, if there was some way to lock your camera behind your car at all times, I'd enjoy them much more). I always invariably end up failing missions with heavy driving sequences, i.e. 75% of the missions.

and to top it all off, usually the shooter mechanics aren't my style either. I like shooters, don't get me wrong, but the style of shooting that's implemented in those games usually is run-and-gun, instead of more cover based mechanics. and add to that a camera that's usually a bit too far and a bit too flexible to my liking, and i'm often put off by the entire game.

10+ Year Old Account
    GTA 4 for multiplayer.
    Saints Row for co-op.
    Red Dead for killing people at that one fort with machine guns.
    Just Cause was pretty fun too.

10+ Year Old Account
    I want to say Terraria...because that's about as sandboxy as you can get...but with all these other games mentioned...I'm a little confused at the definition you guys are using.

::blinks in confusion:: Don't get me wrong, I like GTA games, but I think of them as mission-based adventures where you can have fun going off the beaten path.

::feels like she's missing something::

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dembai View Post
    I want to say Terraria...because that's about as sandboxy as you can get...but with all these other games mentioned...I'm a little confused at the definition you guys are using.

::blinks in confusion:: Don't get me wrong, I like GTA games, but I think of them as mission-based adventures where you can have fun going off the beaten path.

::feels like she's missing something::
    GTA:SA felt pretty Sandboxish to me...

"Dude, why are you dead again?" "Because I'm raid-leading, doh..."
    Mess with the best, die like the rest...
    >>>Goes by name Samyaza<<<

15+ Year Old Account
    Saints Row 3 for all the fun things you can do.
    Just Cause 2, it looks beautiful and fun to drive in other places that are not cities, like the desert, forest, snowy mountains.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does Anno 2070 count as Sandbox? If so that's my favorite.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thebum06 View Post
    Does Anno 2070 count as Sandbox? If so that's my favorite.
    No that's RTS
    I'd have to say Saints Row 2, Slapping people with a giant dildo somehow appeals to me.
    Last edited by mmocfd36770ff5; 2012-02-05 at 07:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaux View Post
    No that's RTS
    I'd have to say Saints Row 2, Slapping people with a giant dildo somehow appeals to me.
    It's a city builder, like Sim City. Doesn't really play like an RTS at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    <Snip>

<Mod Edit: This isn't 4chan, please do not use racial slurs>
    Last edited by Azuri; 2012-02-05 at 08:01 PM.