Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Oh god. Tricky...

I'd probably have to settle with Raymond E. Fiest. As for his book series, I'd be incredibly torn between his Riftwar Saga, and his Empire Trilogy; they're both a fantastic set of books. Although I'd probably have to, if pushed, go with his Empire Trilogy; but then you'd need to read his Riftwar Saga anyway to get the full grip of the plot of his Empire Trilogy.

But yeah, Raymond E. Fiest. Empire Trilogy (Daughter of the Empire, Servant of the Empire, Mistress of the Empire).

Thisthisthis(for author)! I remember picking up Magician after something like three years of non-stop fantasy reading (thank god for a well-stocked local library), and my mind was completely and utterly blown.

Although, to be fair, Patrick Rothfuss is on a VERY close second which he shares with L.E. Modesitt Jr., with a whole bunch on third. Also by a miniscule margin :P
    The Imager Portfolio by Modesitt is my favourite series.

And the usual suspects: Harry Potter, LotR, Wheel of Time, the metric fuckton of Forgotten Realms books etc.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Oh god. Tricky...

I'd probably have to settle with Raymond E. Fiest. As for his book series, I'd be incredibly torn between his Riftwar Saga, and his Empire Trilogy; they're both a fantastic set of books. Although I'd probably have to, if pushed, go with his Empire Trilogy; but then you'd need to read his Riftwar Saga anyway to get the full grip of the plot of his Empire Trilogy.

But yeah, Raymond E. Fiest. Empire Trilogy (Daughter of the Empire, Servant of the Empire, Mistress of the Empire).
    The problem is that everything Fiest has done AFTER Riftware has been trash, except for the Empire stuff he collaborated with someone else on (which is very good). Not to say Magician isn't one of my favorite books ever, but the man lost it, somehow. Feels like he is just phoning it in.

Anyway, the correct answer if you like Epic Fantasy is

The Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadè View Post
    Dan Abnett for author.

Horus Heresy for series.
    Seconded. I've read the majority of his works and some of them are truly awe inspiring. As for Horus Heresy, well, while there are some (SOME) dodgy books, the overall quality is high.

Series is, of course, Lord of the Rings. I've never read any set of books that many times.

Author would be Vonnegut.

As an honorable mention because no one has said it yet, the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher is a really solid read. Book 14 (I think, I lost track of the numbers) comes out later this year. His Codex Alera series, which is complete, was pretty good too.

Deleted
    Peter Hamilton, The Night's Dawn Trilogy

10+ Year Old Account
    It's sort of a children's series but the Redwall series is fantastic in my opinion. Basicly it's a country/countries where evil animals, like snakes, rats, weasels, foxes, fight against good creatures like most birds, badgers, mice, cuddly animals in general. They wear armor and use weaponry aswell. Each animal has its own limitations as in the real world, so a badger can stomp the living hell out of a mouse. The Author is Brian Jacques.
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

10+ Year Old Account
    I am a big Iain Pears fan.

Deleted
    I love the books made by John Grisham!

Charles Bukowski. No real series, but simply genius and I mean every book he wrote

Deleted
    That awkward moment when no one noticed Eoin Colfer (Artemis Fowl)... But I love him!

The Empire Series from Asimov
    The dune series of books by Frank Herbert
    The collected tales of Lazarus Long a.k.a Woodrow Wilson Smith by Heinlein

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    Sir Arthur C. Clark is my favored author but my favored book by him(and all time favored book) is not part of a series, its Childhood's End.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cirque Du Freak by Darren Shan

Deleted
    Terry Pratchett is probably my favourite author, especially the Sam Vimes ones. Fantasy can still be hilarious