Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Warlocks vs Madness of Deathwing Heroic

Hey fellow locks

as there was a similar, very helpful thread about spine of deathwing, I thought let's start one about madness of deathwing since by now some people are surely progressing on it or have already downed it.

first of all, I think Affliction is really strong on this fight, DrainSoul hits for up to 200k (especially with the dmg buff) and with the haste buff it gets potentially even more powerful. Demo is also really good, but i found personally that if your raid has enough aoe power for the bloods it's not really needed.

something i noticed: watch out when someone puts down the parasite! if your pet or your doomguard stands too close, they will instantly die as soon as the parasite lands. for those who want to avoid this always start attacking when youre standing on the very left or very right edge of the platform, your pet will attack the arm tentacle from there then and the doomguard will safely spawn out of range of the parasite.

we haven't really been progressing on this boss that much, so i dont know all the hints and tips yet, would be nice if we could share the knowledge!

as affli for example, do you multi dot all the time, even on the second and third platform (and risking that the arm tentacle will go below 90% and start aoeing) ?

is there any special "rotation" we should use because of spellweaving? for example when the bloods spawn, i soulburn : seed of corruption on them and spread corr, so i get more spellweave proccs ( i dont really know if that works though ), since we tank the bloods near the mutated tentacle to gain some extra dps. other than that, im not really sure wether to use bane of agony or bane of doom, most parses ive browsed through didnt really use boa at all, which i find strange, because theres a lot of soulswapping and multidotting going on and with the extra haste boa should be generally better in the fight, no? and if we should use boa, should we also use the boa glyph?

also does our curse of elements aura affect the parasites and the elementium bolts when they come? (the coe that is on the arm tentacle that is) not sure about the range
    Last edited by Jainzar; 2012-02-06 at 07:17 AM.

I just SB:SoC on bloods -> Shadowflame -> Channel RoF for spellweave. Our raid never bothered not to dps arm below 90% we just did as much as we could but not sub 75%

---------- Post added 2012-02-06 at 12:27 PM ----------

Also I chose to mainly use BoA due to reaching unreal haste levels, switched UA glyph for BoA glyph. I remember during cataclysm damage increase if I used Demon Soul, orc racial and 4-set soulburn as well as having eradication and power infusion at the same time made BoA do insane amounts (2 early ticks doing roughly 25-26k crits each). With all these buffs I had like 116% haste or something
    Last edited by Clevix; 2012-02-06 at 07:45 AM.
    Thazzle, Warlock in <Sanitas> on Frostwhisper-EU, World #3 10man guild.
    Sanitas Guild Website
    Main Armory

does glyph of shadowflame work for the congealing bloods in p5 ? does anyone know?

Yes, the 70% slow works fine and is very handy to be put up on the bloods as they spawn, managed to do it on all 3 spawns on our kill ^^
    Thazzle, Warlock in <Sanitas> on Frostwhisper-EU, World #3 10man guild.
    Sanitas Guild Website
    Main Armory

Deleted
    as a 10 man raider:
    glyph of shadowflame is great and you should use it. we never had problems with the berserk or cataclysm (prenerf) so we play it safe and dont dps the arm below 90% on the third and forth platform. we usually use spriest, boomkin (no jinx needed), warlock (and sometimes firemage) and without multidotting i think demo (i play 31/10 with incinerate glyp instead of corr) is the stronger spec (4% spellpower for 3 healer, 3-4 caster dps and our restoration shaman can use his fire elemental twice).

Why do so many people play the 3/31/7 incinerate spec on this fight? i really dont get it. i mean theres so much re-dotting (reapplying immolate) going on here, you have to switch targets to nuke the bolt, nuke the parasite, nuke the elementium terrors in p5 etc, why would you not play the better multitarget (0-31-10 shadowbolt) spec here? i really don't get it.

Also demonology is incredibly effective for the congealing bloods in p5, never underestimate hellfire! beats affliction, didnt really get good aoe burst on the bloods with soc
    Last edited by Jainzar; 2012-02-14 at 07:14 AM.

Deleted
    Kinda off topic but where is this Spine of Deathwing hc lock post? I can't find it

I think it depends on wheather you can get the 10% Spellpower buff without Demolock or not. If you have an elemental shaman or you're raiding 25man affliction is probably best.
    For 10man without elemental shaman Demo is slightly ahead imo. From my experience affliction is pushing DPS with Spellweave... Soulburn: SoC procs a lot of spellweave which of course isn't bad but aoeing blood in P1 should never be a problem anyways so its basically just wasted DMG. If you don't count this additional DMG affliction and demo should end up doing about the same DPS on this fight even with multidotting. We started progress with a demo-warlock, switched to affliction and had him switch back to demo again. We ended up being a little bit faster with demo instead of affliction... in P2 we only take one bloodspawn in between the addspawns and try to burst the boss from 12% to 0% before the 3rd Addspawn. So we prefer the massive burst of a demo-wl instead of the high sustained DPS of an affli-lock in P2. Moreover demo is better for aoeing blood in P2 and the spellpower buff counts for healers too which is in the end giving demo the edge over affliction imo.
    Last edited by Knoxi; 2012-02-14 at 10:36 AM.

Yea I can see how a Demo Warlock could be the better choice in 10man, but I find it really depends on where the problems lie for your raid specifically.

Generally I still think Affliction is better, and also additionally Hellfire does not procc spellweave propperly, so I think that Affliction is better to AoE the congealing bloods in p5 -> Glyphed Shadowflame to slow them down, then soulburn SoC to spread corruption amongst them and then rain of fire (yep, insane spellweave proccs) to finish them, should do more damage than hellfire with demo. I know it sounds weird but I think it's really the case, since Hellfire doesnt really like to procc spellweave, whereas rain of fire is amazing for that purpose.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jainzar View Post
    Also demonology is incredibly effective for the congealing bloods in p5, never underestimate hellfire! beats affliction, didnt really get good aoe burst on the bloods with soc
    By spellweave "whoring" (for lack of a better term), I believe Affliction is quite apt at bursting down bloods as well, and more importantly using the bloods to cleave spellweave to the parasite when this is up. Simply SB: SoC and continue to multidot the bloods with UA before the parasite spawns, then have the blood tank drag the bloods on top of the parasite. That shit will blow up!

As mentioned above I also went with Boa over Doom because of the high haste levels also while playing affliction besure to watch when you use your 4peice I know with our timing if I used it everytime it came up I wouldn't be able to SB soc the bloods this will probly vary but something to keep in mind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgarth View Post
    Kinda off topic but where is this Spine of Deathwing hc lock post? I can't find it
    Thank you for telling me where is this post, REALLY appreciate it (sarcasm)

Deleted
    So you expect others to find it for you, even if they dont know where it is?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkuggz View Post
    So you expect others to find it for you, even if they dont know where it is?
    Not really no, but atleast something would be appreciated like I cannot find it either.

Anyways on Topic, due to the immense Haste you gain during this fight, as Affliction, is it worth to reduce your own haste rating and change it to other stats such as crit in order to benefit more from the fight buffs? should we achieve some sort of cap?

Lol we would have to do the same thing as you to find it and love that you feel someone has to do it for you

Here is the Spine thread: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ing-Tendon-DPS

And yea, what those above me said, dont be such a spoiled kid and show some gratitude. It ain't hard to find at all (go to warlock forums, search for "spine" and check the 2nd page).

Deleted
    after an intense 10 minutes, I've found it, trough google, lol, anyways doesnt matter

Deleted
    40 posts deep and already a douchebag, took me 200 at least :P

Concerning changing stat weights due to the increased haste, I don't believe it's necessary at all - the stat weights should be the same (easily determined through simcraft.

Deleted
    Back to the topic:

I am progressing on this fight with my guild and I have difficulties on this fight dps wise. I was playing Demo untill now and I will go as Affliction on our next attempts.

The questions I have:
    -My Spellweave is a lot lower then the other casters. How does this Spellweave work exactly? Should I soulburn / Seed the blobs to spread corruption on them? Where should I be positioned for this to do a lot of DPS
    -Why do I see Rain of Fire so much on the logs for Affliction locks? Is it better to AOE the blobs then to straight dps the tentacle and why rain instead of SoC? Or just keep ur dots rolling, and then RoF the blobs for spellweave?
    -Should I keep multidotting, Arm / Tentacle? I guess I should save my Soul Swap for The Elementium bolt.
    -Should I use Doom, or Agony for max DPS? With / without glyph. (instead of UA one fe)

What other tips and tricks can you share / do you have?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cerbje View Post
    Back to the topic:

I am progressing on this fight with my guild and I have difficulties on this fight dps wise. I was playing Demo untill now and I will go as Affliction on our next attempts.

The questions I have:
    -My Spellweave is a lot lower then the other casters. How does this Spellweave work exactly? Should I soulburn / Seed the blobs to spread corruption on them? Where should I be positioned for this to do a lot of DPS
    -Why do I see Rain of Fire so much on the logs for Affliction locks? Is it better to AOE the blobs then to straight dps the tentacle and why rain instead of SoC? Or just keep ur dots rolling, and then RoF the blobs for spellweave?
    -Should I keep multidotting, Arm / Tentacle? I guess I should save my Soul Swap for The Elementium bolt.
    -Should I use Doom, or Agony for max DPS? With / without glyph. (instead of UA one fe)

What other tips and tricks can you share / do you have?
    You get higher spellweave damage by doing just what you say; SB:SoC the blobs just a few seconds after they spawn and continue to apply UA to as many of them as possible. Your blob tank should then, when the parasite spawns, drag the blobs on top on the parasite - allowing for spellweave to cleave from the dotted blobs to the parasite which equals to a lot more damage on the parasite. At this point you should be channeling rain of fire on to the pile of blobs/parasite, you use RoF rather than SoC since RoF allows for more spellweave procs.

Multidot as much as you'd like, just make sure not to damage the arms too much. Also, if you find that your raid is struggling with getting the mutated corruption down before X amount of Impales on the tank you should most likely drop any multidot-dps-"whoring" and focus more on the corruption.

Save your soulswaps for the parasite (apply it just before the blobs are dragged on top of it) as well as for the elementium bolt. This means that you'll be using BoA instead of BoD for most of the fight, at least the parts where you are multidotting and soulswapping. I only use BoD for the last burn phases on the arms when you will be going single-target for a while.

Other than that, drop the UA glyph and go for BoA instead as the cast time for UA will already be below (or very close to) 1 second. You should most likely also get a macro allowing you to target and soulswap exhale to the elementium bolt/parasite, as every second counts at those parts of the fight. Depending on your raid setup/size, you might even want to glyph shadowflame (70% slow) for the adds in the last, deatwing-head, phase.