Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    A few walks a week? If you're not even going to give it daily walks then you shouldn't have a dog, that's what they live for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pound dogs are the best dogs, go pick out a new best friend and avoid all the puppy / house-training crap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Udderpowered View Post
    A few walks a week? If you're not even going to give it daily walks then you shouldn't have a dog, that's what they live for.
    Aye, this. The only exception might be if you happen to have an acre or two of land secured by sturdy fencing.

If you're completely turned off by the idea of an energetic dog, definitely consider adopting an adult dog. Puppies can be exhausting and they don't grow out of it quickly. You'll also have a better feel for the dog's temperament, since many dogs' personalities change as they start to hit puberty. Remember, if you go to a shelter and find a dog that seems perfect, don't be afraid to ask a million questions. Adopting a dog should be a lifetime commitment, so make sure you know what you're getting into before you bring your furry friend home.

Good luck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you not considered a cat instead? They're definitely NOT super energetic, and don't care how big the yard is. They also don't need walks.

---------- Post added 2012-02-06 at 11:04 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by primusl0l View Post
    West Highland Terriers are generally very healthy dogs
    "Several breed specific and non-specific health issues appear in the breed including a condition in young dogs nicknamed "westie jaw" which causes an overgrowth of bone in the jaw of the dog. It is also prone to skin disorders, with a breed specific condition called Hyperplastic Dermatosis occurring."
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

I had two pugs who just passed away, i had them for 16 years.

i could not recommend a better pet. They were brilliant.

They're small, they're cuddly, They don't shed. They love to play but also love to be lazy. I would recommend a pug

Deleted
    I would STRONGLY suggest getting a Basset Hound.Best dog i've ever had

10+ Year Old Account
    They also don't need much exercise and they're only small dogs 6-10kg so they don't need much food either.
    "The temperament of the West Highland White Terrier can vary greatly, with some being friendly towards children whilst others prefer solitude.[22] It will not tolerate rough handling such as a child pulling on its ears, and can be both food and toy possessive.[23] Members of the breed are normally independent, assured and self confident and can make good watchdogs. It is a loyal breed that bonds with its owners, but is often always on the move requiring a fair deal of exercise. Westies are highly social and are the most friendly and jolly of all the Scottish breeds of terrier.[24]"

I actually don't think a Westie would work best for him, unless he gets lucky with a specific one's personality.

That's the funny thing about dogs: They have their own personalities. Traits in your dog may not always be the trait of the whole breed.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have westies < like the dog in my display picture.

They're small dogs with the attitude of a large breed dog so you get best of both worlds. West Highland Terriers are generally very healthy dogs, breeds like PUGS and stuff are ridden with health issues.

A westie from a proper breeder will cost about $800 to $1500 depending where you get them from. You just have to make sure you're buying from a breeder that is registered and well-known within the West Highland Terrier Clubs in whatever country you live in....ie the breeder shows the dogs in competitions. Westies generally are 1 to 2 year waiting list in my country when buying from real breeders (not those scum people running puppy mills)

My first westie lived till she was almost 20 years old and she died peacefully in her sleep.

If you have a cat or plan to get a cat don't get a westie though...same if you have rats or mice as pets....Westies were bred for hunting pests back in the 1800's and every single westie I've come across still has those common traits. They're professionals at hunting mice/rats so you need a proper secured fence.

They also don't need much exercise and they're only small dogs 6-10kg so they don't need much food either. They're cold-weather dogs and do really well in cold times, so you can have them outside when it's cold (not when its freezing negative obviously) but on cold days they're fine outside. They don't do tell well in heat...but then again most dogs don't do well.

They don't shed...dirt literally falls off their fur due to the way their fur is.
    I have to agree. Westies are amazing dogs. My mom just got another westie after the first one died. They're not highly energenic in comparison to say Jack russels. I'm fond of westies too because they're not vicious by nature and very friendly. Also, I agree they don't shed. The one problem my parents had with the first one is they always fed it human food a bit much and eventually got diabetes and went blind before it passed away. But typically they have no big health issues. However, with that being said I've always heard pure breads tend to have more health issues than mutts.

I myself have a golden retriever but he's a bigger dog and sheds (not bad because I keep him groomed.)

http://www.akc.org/breeds/maltese/

http://www.akc.org/breeds/yorkshire_terrier/

I have a Maltese. Loves to be petted behind his ears, and neck, very friendly, loves to play with his squeaky toys, great watchdog (he even memorized what our cars look like, and he barks at them before they even reach the driveway), he loves to go for rides in the car, and gets excited if you say "do you wanna go for a ride in the car?", or "do you want a treat?", "do you wanna go for a walk?". They also don't shed, but if you want to keep from grooming them, just get their haircut every few weeks or so. After having a Maltese, I don't think I will ever get another type of dog. There are 4 of us in the extended family that all have Maltese's and for good reason, they're great companions.

Also to the guy above that said Pugs don't shed, they do shed, my friend had a Pug, and it shed quite a bit. Other then that though, I will agree Pugs are good dogs too, though they can overheat easily because they're overweight for their size, and have difficulty breathing because the way their face is formed.
    Last edited by muto; 2012-02-06 at 05:21 PM.

Just make sure if you purchase a dog from a pet store that it's not a small time pet store (or if it IS, thoroughly check it out first) My parents made a mistake of going to a pet store shortly after our first dog passed away to get a new dog. Shortly after, the store was closed down for caging the animals in cages too small during off-hours and resulting in my parents having a mentally challenged dog. (Which to say the least is a gnarly handful)

For a smaller breed of dog i'd highly suggest a Corgi. They do shed, but they are SUPER easy to train and they arent completely hardwired with massive energy. Could also be slightly biased since my best friend has two. I myself could never resort to a small dog. Go big or go home.

Good luck. Pictures once you find your perfect pal!

My dog is a mix between a miniature pincher and a chihuahua, it likes to be petted, it's pretty active, and it isn't afraid of anything. They also don't have any fur problems.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Genganger View Post
    Cairn Terrier. They shed very little, need a walk once a day, but can be let out in a garden. Though you should walk with them just to get that exercise. Very loyal dogs and they're cutie patooties
    second this choice for a small dog.

very smart, very loyal and do not shed at all (you're actually supposed to pluck their top coat out).

same dog as toto on wizard of oz.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Have you not considered a cat instead? They're definitely NOT super energetic, and don't care how big the yard is. They also don't need walks.

---------- Post added 2012-02-06 at 11:04 AM ----------

"Several breed specific and non-specific health issues appear in the breed including a condition in young dogs nicknamed "westie jaw" which causes an overgrowth of bone in the jaw of the dog. It is also prone to skin disorders, with a breed specific condition called Hyperplastic Dermatosis occurring."
    Westie jaw happens within the first year, and it's in only poorly bred westies.

The skin disorder is as well with poorly bred westies and is not life-threatening

There is no other major concerns with the breed, those 2 issues are with the poorly bred puppy mill westies.

Which is why I said find a proper westie breeder, one that has been breeding for decades...and shows the dogs in comps. The best breeders will have the history of the great grand parents, as well as the grand parents and parents of the pup youre buying.

Im with others on this. Dogs need to be walked frequently.

You dont say if you are out at work all day, its kinda importnat as some dogs really hate being left alone. Go to your local shelter and have a chat, thye will have plenty of advice on the best kind of dog for you (if at all). Or go look again at your pet options, there will be soemthing out there for you.

Thank you for all the comments, I am going to do my research on some of the breeds you guys have suggested.

Blue Tick Coon Hound.

I have had a rescue one for a year now. They are some of the best dogs ever, with very few health issues because they are such a new breed.

Good luck finding one if you don't live in the US though.

This is him:
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/585/bluelr.jpg/
    Last edited by Fuger; 2012-02-07 at 09:19 PM.

a hot dog lol just kidding

What do you guys think about a American Bulldog?

10+ Year Old Account
    Boston Terrier, Pugs or French Bulldogs would be good!

Although like satyrikon mentioned, short nose dogs aren't so good with really hot weather, they do snore and they also fart more often than normal dogs haha
    But they're still awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by jmann View Post
    I'm on the lookout for mans best friend and need some advice! I live in a small house with a small backyard first of all so a big dog wouldn't really fit in. I'm looking for a dog that doesn't shed much, loves pats, the occasional play and a few walks a week. ( no super energetic dogs ). Please help me decide!

Edit: Decided to add more details.

I dont mind if the dog sheds just not one that leaves a trail of fur everywhere it goes. I can walk the dog daily just not hourly long walks. My garden is fenced off.
    sounds like you need a cat