Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What type of dog would suit me?

I'm on the lookout for mans best friend and need some advice! I live in a small house with a small backyard first of all so a big dog wouldn't really fit in. I'm looking for a dog that doesn't shed much, loves pats, the occasional play and a few walks a week. ( no super energetic dogs ). Please help me decide!

Edit: Decided to add more details.

I dont mind if the dog sheds just not one that leaves a trail of fur everywhere it goes. I can walk the dog daily just not hourly long walks. My garden is fenced off.
    Last edited by jmann; 2012-02-06 at 11:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd recommend a Basset Hound. Fun dogs.

EDIT: Ehh... Actually try a Shorthaired ​Pointer somehow skipped over your part about shedding.
    EDIT 2: In addition you might find this site useful. http://dog-breeds.findthebest.com/
    Last edited by Serj Tankian; 2012-02-06 at 10:39 AM.

Short haired Dachshund. Super playful and very loyal. Energetic but not overly so and they don't need too much exercise.

Or something like a bulldog or Staffordshire Bull Terrier would be great as well but those breeds are kinda dopey. (in a good way)
    Last edited by Jakexe; 2012-02-06 at 10:47 AM.

Deleted
    Pure breed german shepherd. I absolutely recommend them. Amazing dogs. Very intelligent, loyal and never do wrong things like run away or do their business indoors. I had a rotveiler before and although I loved him, he always ran away at the first opportunity and often left a "nice" smelly surprise in the living room when I was away.

But my german shepherd is just amazing, very calm. Friendly to guests, doesn't freak out because of fireworks and smart.

Deleted
    Not energetic? Get a pug. They're cute, cuddly and kinda lazy. They do tend to shed, though it isn't over-the-top.

That, and they're chick magnets

Could you just give a few more details about your house? is it completely yours,or do you share it? do you have direct access to the backyard? is the backyard a garden type backyard or more like concrete surface?
    how far away is the next big park/woods/countryside where you can take him for a walk?
    note that any dog, maybe except some celebrity-pet-rat-carried-in-a-bag, needs to be taken out at least once a day, so if you only would go on a few walks a week, there's not too much of a choice.

If it weren't for your shedding requirement i'd suggest a pekingese, but peke's shed a bit because they have a double coat. Still, if you can find one that doesn't have a show coat and has a shorter coat instead (or keep it cut down in a puppy cut), it's not too bad.

Bulldogs are another mid-sized dog that're supposedly pretty chill, but i've never owned one to know how much they shed. They do slobber a lot, though.

Try to avoid Jack Russels imo, even mixed breeds, because they always seem to be really hyper and they like to dig holes (so do most other terriers though).

Quote Originally Posted by manbeartruck View Post
    Not energetic? Get a pug. They're cute, cuddly and kinda lazy. They do tend to shed, though it isn't over-the-top.

That, and they're chick magnets
    You found a pug that was lazy? My moms pug is so easily excitable that she starts bouncing off the walls if you even say her name @_@ my cousin has one and it's the same way, and most of the others I've seen were like that too. They are hilariously funny dogs, though.

Don't know much about other smaller dogs, but here's my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Kokiron; 2012-02-06 at 10:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Toy dog is always the best choice.

Maybe you need to look over your options first as well, its not like every brand exists in the local grocery store.

I would highly recommend that you get a dog from a local shelter. They even let you play with them for 5 minutes and tell you about the breed if you are interested in adopting them.

Deleted
    not sure how to translate it to english, but the dogs i have would fit u fine, theyre not big but theyre not chihuahuas either.
    They can hunt if u want to but they dont have to. U can cuddle with them and play, and theyre hair is short.

Deleted
    Cairn Terrier. They shed very little, need a walk once a day, but can be let out in a garden. Though you should walk with them just to get that exercise. Very loyal dogs and they're cutie patooties

Quote Originally Posted by Kaniinchen View Post
    I would highly recommend that you get a dog from a local shelter. They even let you play with them for 5 minutes and tell you about the breed if you are interested in adopting them.
    I will definitely be sure to check local shelters first.

10+ Year Old Account
    My dog is a spoodle and she would fit your requirements just fine, so get one of those. She loves walks, but is happy to lie around all day, she's fairly smart and she's 8 years old but as cute as when she was a puppy.

3 quarter cocker spaniel ftw.
    Garrosh did nothing wrong.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Take a quiz and you'll get a big list of breeds right for you!
    http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokiron View Post
    You found a pug that was lazy? My moms pug is so easily excitable that she starts bouncing off the walls if you even say her name @_@ my cousin has one and it's the same way, and most of the others I've seen were like that too. They are hilariously funny dogs, though.
    I've yet to see a pug that isn't lazy. I might have used the wrong term here, as they might not just lay flat on the floor 24/7, however, it's certainly not a dog that's well known for its athletic nature..

And yes. Get a shelter dog. You'll not only get a friend for (its) life, but possibly save the life the dog, too.
    Do it.
    Last edited by mmoc494ea71a08; 2012-02-06 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    Pure breed german shepherd. I absolutely recommend them. Amazing dogs. Very intelligent, loyal and never do wrong things like run away or do their business indoors. I had a rotveiler before and although I loved him, he always ran away at the first opportunity and often left a "nice" smelly surprise in the living room when I was away.

But my german shepherd is just amazing, very calm. Friendly to guests, doesn't freak out because of fireworks and smart.
    I've had 3 german shepherds in my lifetime and while i love them i would strongly recommend AGAINST the OP getting one. It's just not what he said he was looking for. They are big, they shed everywhere all year round, they require a lot of space and they are very energetic. They need a lot of mental and physical stimulation every day and to be perfectly honest they are a handful for most people. They are working dogs and if you don't have at least a couple hours a day to spend with them I would not get one.

Small dog that doesn't need alot of walking, tonnes of personality, and the most loyal companion I've ever had in my life is a Boston Terrier.
    His pictures been on this forum many times, For me at least, Bostons are the best dogs in the world.

Bostons don't shed much at all, but are subject to issues in cold weather (very short hair, not that warm so they need coats if you take em)
    and too much heat with a short nosed dog is never good, they dont breath the best so really hot weather is bad for them (also means the they snore 9 times out of 10)

This is Thor, he just turned 3 in December ;]
    Last edited by satyrikon; 2012-02-06 at 03:22 PM.
    Intel i7-2600k @ 4.6 ghz - Corsair H100 - 16GB DDR3-1600 - SLI GTX 580 - Crucial 240GB

Corsair Obsidian 650D - WD 2TB Black Storage

10+ Year Old Account
    smaller dogs will generally be more energetic as a rule of thumb. I have a half rat terrier / half chihuahua that litterally bounces off the walls all day, while my lab / (???) mix just lounges and sleeps. Its really hit or miss with them. Your best bet, tbh, is to go for not one, but two small dogs. Turn them loose in the back yard, and they will wear each other out, instead of you.
    If you love / enjoy WoW in its current state, don't bother with my signature...with all due respect, its not for you. (note: I am happy and respectful though, of your enthrallment with WoW... if not a little envious!)
    My dirty little nefarious nautical profession secret - its where I go to get my fix

I have westies < like the dog in my display picture.

They're small dogs with the attitude of a large breed dog so you get best of both worlds. West Highland Terriers are generally very healthy dogs, breeds like PUGS and stuff are ridden with health issues.

A westie from a proper breeder will cost about $800 to $1500 depending where you get them from. You just have to make sure you're buying from a breeder that is registered and well-known within the West Highland Terrier Clubs in whatever country you live in....ie the breeder shows the dogs in competitions. Westies generally are 1 to 2 year waiting list in my country when buying from real breeders (not those scum people running puppy mills)

My first westie lived till she was almost 20 years old and she died peacefully in her sleep.

If you have a cat or plan to get a cat don't get a westie though...same if you have rats or mice as pets....Westies were bred for hunting pests back in the 1800's and every single westie I've come across still has those common traits. They're professionals at hunting mice/rats so you need a proper secured fence.

They also don't need much exercise and they're only small dogs 6-10kg so they don't need much food either. They're cold-weather dogs and do really well in cold times, so you can have them outside when it's cold (not when its freezing negative obviously) but on cold days they're fine outside. They don't do tell well in heat...but then again most dogs don't do well.

They don't shed...dirt literally falls off their fur due to the way their fur is.
    Last edited by primusl0l; 2012-02-06 at 04:23 PM.