"Clean Out" for pest control

The people upstairs in my apartment moved out about one week ago. All a sudden we are seeing roaches all over our kitchen. Mind you we never had roach problem before. I assumed they are looking for food since the people upstairs moved out. I went out and purchased some roach gel product. I have used it before and it worked wonders. However, some people who live with me are very impatient for the gel to take effect, which I guess I understand why. Who wants to live with roaches? So they called the apartment and they confirmed that the problem is coming from upstairs apartment. They told my roommates about how bad it was. Anyway, they said the apartment complex was going to higher professional pest control company to do a clean out.. What exactly is a clean out? Is it safe for my cats, because I honestly have no other place to put them if they can't stay in the house. And from experience, if they are going to use those fog bombs, that crap doesn't work. All it does is make the roaches run away for the day, then they simply come back when they sense it is safe.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    The people upstairs in my apartment moved out about one week ago. All a sudden we are seeing roaches all over our kitchen. Mind you we never had roach problem before. I assumed they are looking for food since the people upstairs moved out. I went out and purchased some roach gel product. I have used it before and it worked wonders. However, some people who live with me are very impatient for the gel to take effect, which I guess I understand why. Who wants to live with roaches? So they called the apartment and they confirmed that the problem is coming from upstairs apartment. They told my roommates about how bad it was. Anyway, they said the apartment complex was going to higher professional pest control company to do a clean out.. What exactly is a clean out? Is it safe for my cats, because I honestly have no other place to put them if they can't stay in the house. And from experience, if they are going to use those fog bombs, that crap doesn't work. All it does is make the roaches run away for the day, then they simply come back when they sense it is safe.
    These bastards are REALLY hard to get rid of...and they are disgusting.

I had a similar problem at an apartment complex where I lived a while ago. If they are super serious about it, they'll remove damn near everything from the offending apartment and chemical the shit out of the place.

I've heard they're not considered a problem until they start to fly...

Yeah right :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Serious infestations have absolutely insane numbers of roaches, and they're really really really hard to get rid of. I can't tell you what to do with your cats, OP, but good luck! If they can't fix it before your lease is up, consider moving.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

People came today and sprayed.. No idea where the sprayed because I was told I needed to leave the house. Took my cats to my aunts place, she lives about an hour away from me by car.. Called up the apartment manager and she said it would be safe to come back 2 hours after the pest control people were done.. Came back around 4 hours after they were done.. I can't stand it.. The smell is horrible, giving me a headache and giving me a sick feeling. If it's doing that to me, I know my cats are having hard time.

10+ Year Old Account
    5291 Collins Rd, Lot 67 Jacksonville, FL 32244
    Pest control smells very horrible, one of my friends puppy has died due to pest control smell. Some pest control like Exterminator suffolk county ny are toxic in nature and they badly infected on the pets. It's better to use some natural treatment for removing termites, eg: Neem leaves etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not safe for animals during a cleaning like that.
    Basically, anything you can't hang out in- neither can they. They're mammals like us.

Getting rid of roaches is really hard, so you have my sympathies. You're going to deal with 3 or 4 generations of those bugs, and that's if you're lucky.

The most effective way of getting rid of roaches is actually a really proper cleaning combined with limited "tactical chemical warfare" (Anything less won't do shit).

Proper cleaning I mean clean out, re-paint, steam clean every corner, bathroom, kitchen, furniture. After all this you need to use Pyrethrin based insecticides.

This is your best shot. Also this has to be a building wide operation. As long as they have a refuge somewhere they will eventually come back after a while.

In my experience, that roach gel bait is the best thing to combat infestations. You're right in saying that it takes a few days to take real effect, but nothing else works like it. When the roaches eat it, they don't die immediately. They have time to go back into their nooks and crannies where other roaches are. They have time to defecate and leave behind poisoned droppings. And then they usually die in those hiding places as well. Since roaches are filthy insects, they are cannibalistic. They also eat each others droppings. This begins a chain effect of poisoning that takes a lot of roaches down with just a single one poisoned initially.

That being said, I was in a similar position as you. I lived next door to a very filthy bunch that come to find out was running a drug/prostitution ring right out of their apartment. There were dirty people coming and going all the time, and the place was wrecked on the inside. I also had a drain cover outside in front of our two apartments. Despite all that, the gel stopped the problem.

Put that gel at any entrance points you can find from the upstairs neighbors to your house. Put it in cracks along baseboards, in the back of your pantry, closets, under sinks, around cutouts for pipes that go into walls...anywhere you think roaches could come in. Be generous with the stuff. Get two syringes and use them completely if you have to. Put some outside too near your front door. If you have any drains or sewer access covers near your apartment, put the gel in its cracks too. Then just let the chain reaction of death begin.

One more thing to note, you'll probably have to re-apply the gel you've already put down. When pest control people spray poison designed to instantly kill insects that cross it, the bait is sort of invalidated and will not work as it's supposed to. It won't attract the roaches anymore since it smells different, and it'll just kill them as soon as they cross it which prevents them from bringing their poisoned bodies back into hiding.

Deleted
    I would not let my cats in there, think it might be best to bring them to a payed shelter for a few nights. Our local animal shelter has a payed shelter aswell, you might wanna give them a ring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Necro post.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Necro post.
    Holy crap it is. Lol! Didn't even notice the 2012 on the date instead of 2013. Exactly a year old to boot.

Ah well. :-P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodoku View Post
    Holy crap it is. Lol! Didn't even notice the 2012 on the date instead of 2013. Exactly a year old to boot.

Ah well. :-P
    I wouldn't have noticed either except it happened to be a thread I posted in back then, and I didn't remember the thread so I knew it had to be old.

Deleted
    No OP, it is not safe for your cats.

In order to completely wipe out these pests, you need to contact the Pest Control Melbourne unit which provides effective services and products to eradicate these pests.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, this post has now been necro'd twice.