Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Question Anyone else kinda worried Death Knights will be unmentioned, again?

Don't get me wrong, I'm totally glad we're out of Northrend and its utter dedication to making Death Knights look like the Be-All-End-All Class of WoW. But you have to admit, it was a very Story-driven Class, moreso than any other single Class, and that Story came to a screeching halt the moment Arthas died.

While some might argue "Thassarian and Koltira in Western Plaguelands blah blah blah", the fact is, we're left with a pretty strange picture. Darion Mograine said Death Knights would have no place in the world of the living once Arthas was defeated. He was also supposed to reclaim the Ashbringer, which obviously never came to fruition. Thassarian supposedly cut all tied to the Alliance in Northrend, so is he in Western Plaguelands by choice, or did Blizzard kind of forget his previous story-arc?

Mists of Pandaria will likely be "the Monk Expansion", just like Wrath was "the Death Knight Expansion". But considering Death Knights still exist in the game, it couldn't hurt to at least offer some kind of reasoning to their continued presence in the Lore, could it?

Deleted
    well it's not like the other 9 vanilla classes have any special background-story to them. The story of the dks is over - time for some new storys relating to the monk!

10+ Year Old Account
    I am concerned.

I feel they have sort of become tied to the Forsaken story now, Horde or Alliance. This being due to Sylvanas' actions and the Argent Crusade and KotEB raising an eyebrow at them. I'm hoping we will see some development on this considering the focus is war and the Forsaken will have their own very special way of fighting.

It's fine with me if we never hear another peep about them. In fact, they could be deleted tomorrow and I wouldn't bat an eyelash. <.< /cough

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PetersenIII View Post
    It's fine with me if we never hear another peep about them. In fact, they could be deleted tomorrow and I wouldn't bat an eyelash. <.< /cough
    Somebody doesn't like DK's. :<
    I agree, we need more DK lore damn it!

I'm more interested in the undead story tbh. I still dont get undead DK's also. A DK is a fallen hero so someone who once done something heroic and died then was raised by the LK and then set free from his control? So an undead DK is all of that but they died 2x?

Step #1 Live normal human life
    Step #2 Do something heroic and become a hero
    Step #3 Die
    Step #4 Get raised from the dead become a "fallen hero"
    Step #5 Get your free will back (well your still mental blood craving need to kill etc etc)
    Step #6 You die again
    Step #7 You get raised again.

Am i right?

p.s. i want to see Sylvanas take a pounding.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cataclysm confirmed the Ebon Blade will never be seen again.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

15+ Year Old Account
    Ye, it's a big let down, they are a "hero class" after all and they do need something to tie up their story to the rest of wow... Great, we got our revenge against the Lich King and now... now what?

Now it's up to you to forge your own destiny.

The big story behind DKs is over and you're left to your own devices. It was completely obvious that this would happen right from the start.
    I'm not really sure what you're expecting here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Domiku View Post
    i want to see Sylvanas take a pounding.

This could NEVER be taken the wrong way. ._.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    I find it quite disheartening that I got an erection just by reading "Cowboy boots".
    Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    The greatest generation is long dead? Last I checked, Miley Cyrus, Kanye West, Rebecca Black, and One Direction are all still kickin'...

Quote Originally Posted by Olianda View Post
    This could NEVER be taken the wrong way. ._.
    hahaha true that.

DKs got more class story than any other class. Why can't other classes get stories ?

Why should Death Knights have a continued story, when none of the other classes do (unless you want to count the Kirin Tor as the "mage" story, the Argent Crusade as the "paladin" story, etc.)? Wrath of the Lich King is over and the Death Knight class's time in the spotlight is over. However, I'm sure we'll eventually see something to do with Koltira and Sylvanas in the future. I can't remember where or by whom, but we were told that the Argent Crusade and the Ebon Blade are keeping their eye on the Forsaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Thassarian supposedly cut all tied to the Alliance in Northrend
    Just curious, when did he do that? I recall him working alongside the Alliance in the Howling Fjord, and standing aboard the Skybreaker in Icecrown.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azahel View Post
    Ye, it's a big let down, they are a "hero class" after all and they do need something to tie up their story to the rest of wow... Great, we got our revenge against the Lich King and now... now what?
    You do whatever you want?

You got closure, if you can't create a motivation for your character that's your problem.
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

Quote Originally Posted by Azahel View Post
    Now nothing, the story of death knights in general is over, specific death knights (The player ones) will probably try to fit into regular society (As far as any player characters fit in, anyway), and that's pretty much it, DKs are now adventurers like all the other classes, their single overriding goal is achieved, now it's time for them to get on with, well, unlife...

I guess if your class isn't introduced in an expansion you don't get story line? Mmmmm, I'm going to go with false.

Vanilla was classless story line, yes. But I would say that WotLK was all about Death Knights AND Paladins. In fact, the main protagonist of Wrath was a Paladin. Many of the major quests in Icecrown involved the light, if you weren't questing for the Ebon Hold you were doing it for the Argent Crusade. This brand of story telling was expanded in Cataclysm with Shamans and Druids coming to the forefront. Thrall being the main protagonist against DW and Malfurion being the rally caller against Ragnaros. So, I think in MoP we'll see a bit of the same. Another shift from two main classes to two others. I'm guessing monks and priests. We'll see though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    Now nothing, the story of death knights in general is over, specific death knights (The player ones) will probably try to fit into regular society (As far as any player characters fit in, anyway), and that's pretty much it, DKs are now adventurers like all the other classes, their single overriding goal is achieved, now it's time for them to get on with, well, unlife...
    Basically this. You already had an overaching storyline for your class that came to a very satisfying end with the death of Arthas. Even MORE satisfying if you were a DK that got Shadowmourne.

It's more than any other class got, ever. What else would you want?

Quote Originally Posted by sliplocke View Post
    I guess if your class isn't introduced in an expansion you don't get story line? Mmmmm, I'm going to go with false.

Vanilla was classless story line, yes. But I would say that WotLK was all about Death Knights AND Paladins. In fact, the main protagonist of Wrath was a Paladin. Many of the major quests in Icecrown involved the light, if you weren't questing for the Ebon Hold you were doing it for the Argent Crusade. This brand of story telling was expanded in Cataclysm with Shamans and Druids coming to the forefront. Thrall being the main protagonist against DW and Malfurion being the rally caller against Ragnaros. So, I think in MoP we'll see a bit of the same. Another shift from two main classes to two others. I'm guessing monks and priests. We'll see though.
    If thats the case, I do hope MoP will be a Monk / Warrior storyline. A Monk seems to be the 'paladin' to the warrior's 'deathknight', anyway.
    Inner Peace, Chi <==> Rage
    Worldly Balance <==> Master of War

And since there'll be a strong focus on Horde VS Alliance, and Garrosh and Varian are both warriors... I can see this idea bearing fruit.\

Infact, lemme just make this into a seperate topic.
    Last edited by Chonar; 2012-02-08 at 12:46 PM.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Darion said that once the lich king was destroyed, they would have no place in the world of the living.
    Now, first of all, while Darion is the leader of the ebon blade, he doesn't actually control his Death Knights like Arthas did. He doesn't have a helm of dominion on ;P
    2nd, Arthas may be "dead"(er), but there is still a lich king. Maybe the warden of the undead needs a boss.

Also, who cares? Its not like the human paladin lore has changed much in all these years, besides removing the "Go back and forth through elwynn and the cathedral for 5 days"

I think we're having a small disconnect here between two identities that occur within the DK storyline.
    First we have us, the players that have DK characters. Our storyline is no longer really connected, expect through tenuous means, to the rest of the DKs. We're allied with the Horde or Alliance and our fates are connected to those entities in much the same way as played Shamans are linked to the Horde/Alliance and have only fleeting moments of connectivity to other shamans or specific organizations such as the Earthen Ring.

Secondly we have the DK specific organization, the Knights of the Ebon Blade. All Ebon Blade are DK, but not all DK are Ebon Blade. Technically none of us playing are part of the Ebon Blade, though we owe secondary allegiance to them. Again this is very similar to Shamans and the Earthen Ring or Druids and the Cenarion Circle. All shamans hold some allegiance to the Earthen Ring and aide them when able, but their primary focus is within the Horde/Alliance. cut and copt for Druids and CC and DKs and EB.

Also in a similar fashion, the Ebon Blade story doesn't necessarily affect the Death Knights in general.

TR;DR: the DK storyline is fine because being a DK isn't that important anymore. the Ebon Blade storyline probably needs to be wrapped up somewhat.
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

I think that Death Knights already had their five minutes of lore. And lets take a quick lore history trip.

Burning Legion want's to conquer Azeroth. To soften local defense they create Lich King (former Orc Shaman, Ner'zhul) and give him a task to create suitable army. That's how Scourge was created. While working for the Burning Legion's glory now-Lich King wants to escape from Legion's control. So he deceives young Paladin, Arthas Menethil, turns him into first Death Knight and them uses him to release himself from a Frozen Throne.

Upon release Ner'zhul/Lich King (entrapped within Helm of Command) merges his soul with Death Knight Arthas Menethil's soul. The result is a final Lich King as we know him. Lich King that is free from a Legion's grasp but still in command of a Scourge. But Scourge is a mindless bunch of ghouls, skeletons and other risen ones.

Lich King is in grave need of a middle command chain staff. So he uses his powers and raises fallen heroes. Death Knights. They are much more powerful than Scourge itself but still under Lich King's control. And they are given task of leading Scourge armies.

With events we all know part of Death Knights were able to severe Lich King's grasp and free themselves, regaining free will. Those newly freed Death Knights joined Horde and Alliance and swore to put end to Lich King's regime.

And finally they managed doing so. Lich King (Ner'zhul/Arthas) was slain, Scourge was stopped. Death Knight's goal achieved. Their story ended as they are a remnants of horrible times. New Lich King (Bolvar Fordragon) still exist but more as "a jailer of a damned" than a villain.

Death Knights as for today are left without a purpose. They were mere tools in Lich King's hand. Tools that rebelled. But after victory they don't see the purpose of future existence.

That's why I think that DKs story won't be continued as it ended with Lich King's demise.