Thread: Future content

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Future content

I've played alot of MMOs before, but never ones that were B2P. So my question is for anyone out there who has played GW1 or any other B2P MMOs, how will Anet most likely go about in implementing new patches? Correct me if i'm wrong, but since they won't be getting a steady monthly profit from they're players I can't see a way as to how Anet will have the funding to push out content patches every few or so months. Will it be boxed expacs instead? Some other ways perhaps?

Like I said, GW2 will be my first B2P MMO so i'm just curious as to how they'll go about in doing it.... thanks in advance

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    It has been proven a thousand times that the box could bring enought founding to dev more content.
    GW1 Boxes brought enought for new content, extensions development, broadcast, servers and energy. (And also GW2 dev)

With monthly fees, you don't pay for content and patches, you "rent" the space your chars take on servers. And that's it.

Deleted
    They've already said there will be content patches and it's safe to assume expansions aswell.

So the same as any other MMO, you don't need a monthly fee to sustain a game, box sales are more than enough anything on top of that is pure profit.

Future content that we know of;

Crystal Desert will be added, the place where Kralkatorrik resides at the moment.

Ring of Fire Islands will be added, forces of Zhaitan have taken the Fire Islands.

Both are unknown if they are playable in a patch or future expansions. But my bet is on a patch.

Wow are MMO players really this oblivious? I cant believe the current status quo has so thoroughly convinced players that a game that doesnt rape you for $15 a month cant push out meaningful content.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    So the same as any other MMO, you don't need a monthly fee to sustain a game, box sales are more than enough anything on top of that is pure profit.
    Because server maintenance, paying graphic designers, story writers, production managers, advertising people all cost $0? To create future content requires a revenue stream which is provided by microtransactions and frequent expansion pack releases.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Apellosine View Post
    Because server maintenance, paying graphic designers, story writers, production managers, advertising people all cost $0? To create future content requires a revenue stream which is provided by microtransactions and frequent expansion pack releases.
    Might wanna read what I said. I said the monthly fee isn't needed, not that everything costs nothing.

Box sales include expansions, they don't need money from the micro transactions otherwise that's where you'd have to buy content from.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Apellosine View Post
    Every large company has to release it's revenue/costs for shareholders each year. The costs per month for WoW was $20 million, which is around $2/month per player.

OT: Arenanet said they want to release big expansions frequently. GW1 also had very frequently expansions until they started developing GW2 (They had so many great ideas for their GW1 expansion that they decided it would be better to make a sequel instead), GW1 also received some free content releases (War in Kryta and such). OP, you have to trust Arenanet on this one, but I'm sure they will offer great expansions and future content.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    The monthly fee is not used to make new content, it is the renting of your characters (that are'nt yours at all).
    Last edited by Herowyn; 2012-02-09 at 12:14 PM.

In terms of expansions, Id say its fair to say we will see Cantha (Chinese theme) and Elona (Arabian theme) will both reappear in the future. I really hope they do some tweaking on Cantha though. That entire country was boring as shit to look at, as about 10 of the areas were just slums with the same texture.

They've said they have a live team and an expansion team ready to go. They have the first two expansions roughed out, they've also said they're so familiar with their Dynamic Event tools now that they can finish an entire chain in anywhere from 6 hours - 2 days and have plans on patching new ones in without telling us. ANet consists of over 250 people now, their team is massive and will allow them to support the game through regular free content patches as well as very quick expansions.

Oh and Arenanet has proven that they will release content for free. The "Guild Wars Beyond" content has all been released free of charge and has thus far included a substantial amount of content. Its all been to tie up any loose ends in Guild Wars 1 and prepare the game for the sequel so it saw the conclusion of a lot of interpersonal storylines and the formation of a single, unified human society.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't know if this has been posted on this forums before, but here you go. /sarcasm

WoW only has a monthly fee because people are willing to pay it. There's some odd stigma with free, like they're trying to trick you... :/

Quote Originally Posted by trakbob View Post
    Don't know if this has been posted on this forums before, but here you go. /sarcasm

<snip>

Ooooh, only 5000 times =)

Deleted
    I find myself spending soooo much more money when i've dabbled with f2p mmo's. Must fight urge to buy pets with bags on them!!!!

Since xpacs will be a large(r) source of revenue for them, expect frequent xpacs. At least one a year. Maybe every 8 months if they can pull it off.

Personally if I was them, I'd constantly be creating content, and just sell whatever's been created every 4-6 months. For like... $30-$40. Almost the same as a sub fee, but you have a choice in what you get.
    Last edited by Borzo; 2012-02-09 at 02:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    Since xpacs will be a large(r) source of revenue for them, expect frequent xpacs. At least one a year. Maybe every 8 months if they can pull it off.
    That's a dangerous game to play though. After a few years the entry price will go from $60 to near $200, which is an considerable obstacle to new players.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    That's a dangerous game to play though. After a few years the entry price will go from $60 to near $200, which is an considerable obstacle to new players.
    That shouldn't be a problem if the expansion packs are stand-alone products like GW1 packs. Just buy one and play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Well the prices of older xpacs will go down with time, obviously. Perhaps even incorporated into the base game after a while.