Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Question Dragon Age worth it compared to Skyrim?

So I'm thinking about buying Dragon Age Origins and try it out, but how is it compared to a game like Skyrim? I have played Skyrim, and still got some stuff left in it, so I wouldn't want to buy Dragon Age unless it's almost as good as Skyrim, or give something completely cool and unique.

If you could only play one game in the world.. it should be Skyrim. But since you can play both..

10+ Year Old Account
    they are in a way similar in that they are both amazing, yet there is nothing you should compair the two on they are very different.
    Last edited by Jay 90; 2012-02-09 at 02:41 PM.
    Your speaker volume BETRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS YOU!

I would personally prefer Dragon Age Origins over Skyrim, but that's just me. They aren't really all that alike, imo, but it's a good game. Definitely Bioware in their prime. I would NOT recommend Dragon Age 2 by any means, but DAO is considered to be one of the best RPGs out there. You can't really compare the two though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked both, but I found Skyrim to be superior. Dragon Age is fun, and has quite a bit of replay value if you like to try every class and every spec. But you go through the same story each time, regardless of which quests you do first. Skyrim is laid out so that you can travel from point A (game beginning) to point B (game end) in a completely different path each time. For Dragon Age, you go from point A, to point B, with the same couple dozen points between, and for the most part they are linear.

Having said that, if you can pick up a cheap copy of Dragon Age, do so - it is worth trying, especially for the story.

skyrim is incredibly overrated. i'll admit i cracked out on it for a few weeks but when it comes down to it, theres a lot of better games out there like Arkham City and Dead Island. That being said, Skyrim and DA:O are not very similar it terms of open world and things to do. I've logged maybe 300 hrs into multiple chars on Dragon Age. The story is great, characters (especially companions) are memorable. Combat, while not the best in the world, is good especially on the PC compared to consoles. Graphics wise its not the most stunning but thats what mods are for. it'll take about 30+ hrs to get most stuff done. add the dlc content and Awakenings Expansion to it and u got a good 60+ hrs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    So I'm thinking about buying Dragon Age Origins and try it out, but how is it compared to a game like Skyrim? I have played Skyrim, and still got some stuff left in it, so I wouldn't want to buy Dragon Age unless it's almost as good as Skyrim, or give something completely cool and unique.
    Aside from it being set in a similar universe, DA:O is a completely different game. I liked it better then Skyrim, and that doesn't mean it actualy is better.
    In DA:O you get to control a group (up to 3, out of several you can acquire iirc) companions, which you can control and gear up just as much as your main character. There are actual bosses in it, that are way harder, and if I would be to compare it with something (assuming you know Skyrim and WoW), imagine controlling a whole party of characters in WoW, but being able to pause and will, and excecute commands whiel paused. If yo urpefer skyrim gamepaly, you can preset the party members to do certain things in certain situations and play sorta like Skyrim on easy, but on harded difficulties, especialy teh hardest, that's just utopic.

The main reason I liked DA:O's lore better is the fact your'e not some prophecy driven bad ass motherfucker, as you have (iirc 6) different origins, that influence the start, the character, aswell as the future game perception. Your decisions have imo greater impact on teh ga,me development (in Skyrim, although it's very ulinear, you rarely get to chose someone's faith once teh quest tells yo uto do somethign with him), though you could argue the other way.

Bottomline, they are two veeeeery different games, and you liking Skyrim tells nothing about you liking DA_O or not.

Edit: As others have said, DA2 is in my oppinion, not worth the moeny or time, and in no way relfects the quality of the original game.
    Last edited by mmoc86022d1297; 2012-02-09 at 02:46 PM.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    The original DA:O is amazing and worth your money even if it were still full price.

DA2, however, is complete trash and not worth even $10 if you happened to find it in a bargin bin.

Deleted
    I had much more enjoyment out of my time through Dragon Age than I did out of Skyrim. Not very open world though so if that's not your thing, you might not enjoy it. It's also more of a tactical combat RPG focused on pausing the game and utilizing party members, rather than the run and gun playstyle of Skyrim.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    DAO was pretty good. Reminiscent of Baldur's Gate.

Don't bother with DA2 though.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

Deleted
    The only reason i play RPGs are for the story, and for that reason i enjoyed Dragon age alot more than i enjoyed Skyrim. The combat in DAO aint that good though, they only thing they actually improved in DA2.

However The Witcher 2 tops them both in my opinion so you should check that out first.
    Last edited by mmocd8f97cf567; 2012-02-09 at 02:48 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Siq1ne View Post
    If you could only play one game in the world.. it should be Skyrim. But since you can play both..
    Skyrim is pretty sandboxy, lots of freedom when chosing wich quest you want to do and when. Most recent Bioware games feels like you are walking around on a rail imo. Combat in Dragon Age is relatively fun hotkey action though

DAO is worth a play through. It was refreshingly old school in terms of content and sheer length. It's not Baldur's Gate, it's significantly worse in all respects, but compared to todays "rpgs" it is really good

Well, DA doesn't have a huge open world like skyrim and is very linear but the story is interesting and it is quite fun, personally I prefer Skyrim because of the massive open world but that's just me. If you're into RPG's DA is still worth it but Skyrim is streets ahead in terms of player freedom and exploration.

Quote Originally Posted by chv View Post
    The only reason i play RPGs are for the story, and for that reason i enjoyed Dragon age alot more than i enjoyed Skyrim. The combat in DAO aint that good though, they only thing they actually improved in DA2.

However The Witcher 2 tops them both in my opinion so you should check that out first.
    I heard about the Witcher 2, but I have few to zero clues about it. Any chance you could describe it a little?

Deleted
    I never played Skyrim, but from what I have seen ONLY on tv and gameplay stuff, it's got nothing on any of the dragon age games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dragon Age for me. It's more of a Dungeon and Dragons type RPG. It's more tactical and has a real strong story and great cast. It's one of the few games where I've felt attached to the characters, especially Allistar. Plus the game is challenging and gives a sense of accomplishment when you do things.

Skyrim, for me, is just not rewarding enough. It's too bland. You run around and do whatever you want but really that is just saying you can steal a bunch of vegetables from sacks, worthless items that you don't need or use, and kill random people unless they are special. There's no real goal. The main story is a joke and there's no real story telling involved. I dunno, don't want to turn it into a Skyrim bash post but I was highly disappointed with it.

Edit - Also GET THE WITCHER 2 IF YOU CAN AND HAVEN'T PLAYED IT!!! Amazing game. Easily my favorite game in a lonnnng time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dragon Age:Orgins is one of my favorite games of all time, I enjoyed the story and the combat. It easily trumps Skyrim and I thoroughly recommend it.
    Even the second game wasn't THAT bad. It was just kind of meh.

I heard about the Witcher 2, but I have few to zero clues about it. Any chance you could describe it a little?
    The Witcher and The Witcher 2 are both great RPGs as well, and my personal favorites. The combat in The Witcher (which basically consists of timed clicking) is what leads most people to prefer The Witcher 2, which has a more action-based combat style, but you can easily get used to it. The story is fantastic though, and The Witcher is pretty good about being non-linear. The Witcher 2 is slightly more on the linear side, imo, but it's still great. I like the second one better than the first, but I'd easily recommend them both. Take a glance at some playthrough videos on Youtube though, and of Dragon Age as well. You'll be able to see for yourself if you think you'd like it that way.

i found them to be nothing alike. mt preference is skyrim, but that type of game appeals to me more than DA. but like i said, they are totally different playstyles. i thought both were pretty well done