Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    Not really fair to compare a CGI rendered trailer to in-game footage though, is it?
    Still didn't stop people from proclaiming how great the game would be after watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    You can make anything look good in a trailer.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyYbvVAtlWk
    Ohhh, that was low.

But yeah, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Don't compare dailys to raiding, since its a very lackluster alternative.
    What you define as a "worthwhile alternative" to raiding is different from someone else's definition.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Champion View Post
    Ohhh, that was low.

But yeah, I agree.
    Yeah It probably does come across the wrong way lol

But my point is, that they can present a game however they want in a trailer, so you should never judge a game by one.
    It's like seeing the word "YUM!" on a cereal box and convincing yourself it must be tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Still didn't stop people from proclaiming how great the game would be after watching it.
    And how would that be any different from watching all the GW2 videos and proclaiming how great GW2 is gonna be based off that?

10+ Year Old Account
    And how would that be any different from watching all the GW2 videos and proclaiming how great GW2 is gonna be based off that?
    It's not.

What you define as a "worthwhile alternative" to raiding is different from someone else's definition.
    Then it becomes a matter of personal opinion meaning everything we say to each other will be irrelevant.

I don't think dailies are a decent alternative to end game

You do.

/end
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Deleted
    The Secret World? I've never heard of it, ever, not even on the little MMO-Champion spam advertisements, so that certainly speaks volumes regarding their PR department considering I don't go a day without seeing something GW2 related, not that I mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
    The Secret World? I've never heard of it, ever, not even on the little MMO-Champion spam advertisements, so that certainly speaks volumes regarding their PR department considering I don't go a day without seeing something GW2 related, not that I mind.
    I think its interesting, basically 3 factions, sets in the human world, no classes, 500 skills, go nuts.

Then it becomes a matter of personal opinion meaning everything we say to each other will be irrelevant.

I don't think dailies are a decent alternative to end game

You do.

/end
    Well yes it's personal opinion... but I think it's important. If only 10% of MMORPG players are interested in raiding, then I'm sure lots of standard MMORPG players will play a game like GW2. If it turns out that more than 50% of WOW players are interested in raiding, then GW2 might have trouble getting lots of players.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazlehoff View Post
    i voted GW2, but then i saw the trailer for Secret world. gotta say, dunno whitch is more interesting to me, now.

that game looks pretty bad ass. wow.
    The theme/settings looks bad ass. I would read it if it was a book But whether it plays well ... that's different question.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
    I think it's obvious why. They're afraid of overhyping their game too far in advance... like perhaps their... umm.. previous game <cough>conan<cough>... I'm sure they'll push out more info when it's ready. I think they're doing a big release of info on the 21st. Unfortunately they'll have to compete with GW2 for media coverage.

Well yes it's personal opinion... but I think it's important. If only 10% of MMORPG players are interested in raiding, then I'm sure lots of standard MMORPG players will play a game like GW2. If it turns out that more than 50% of WOW players are interested in raiding, then GW2 might have trouble getting lots of players.
    Why only WoW players? We discussed how many people just actually raid which isn't an accurate number because LFR is here, but since LFR is so easy and easily accessible most likely a high amount of people raid now then before weather they actually like it or not.

GW2 won't have trouble getting players, it might have trouble stealing players from wow but that's a different topic. Since you are assuming most mmo gamers play WoW.
    Last edited by zito; 2012-02-10 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    The theme/settings looks bad ass. I would read it if it was a book But whether it plays well ... that's different question.
    The settings of TSW draws influence heavily from the works of H.P. Lovecraft also known as the father of modern horror. His novels can be a tough read if you're unprepared as his writing style is very archaic even for the time period he lived in but immensely interesting stories nonetheless.

Okay, so I checked wowprogress.com. It tells me only 510,000 characters have killed the first boss in the current tier of raiding. That includes US, EU, Oceanic, and a few other server groups.

I think it's safe to say that approximately 10% of players in WOW raid.

Of course that doesn't include LFR raids, but the percentage appears to be the same even back before LFR came out.

As a sort of statisically weak extrapolation, I think it's somewhat safe to suggest that GW2 won't "fail" due to lack of raiding, or due people's concerns that "WTF you can't have a succesful MMOPRG without raiding, noob!" since 9+ million people pay (and have paid) for WOW without raiding.

Of course that doesn't include LFR raids, but the percentage appears to be the same even back before LFR came out.
    That's fine if its before LFR came out then you have a point, but LFR is out and you still don't have an accurate number of how many WoW players raid now.

Also, when a giant boss appears and it requires multiple people to kill = a raid, just because its not instance doesn't mean it is not a raid. It means it's not a typical WoW raid but its still a raid.

Why only WoW players? We discussed how many people just actually raid which isn't an accurate number because LFR is here, but since LFR is so easy and easily accessible most likely a high amount of people raid now then before weather they actually like it or not.

GW2 won't have trouble getting players, it might have trouble stealing players from wow but that's a different topic. Since you are assuming most mmo gamers play WoW.
    I'm using WOW as the example, because WOW statistics are available.

And yes, I do assume most MMORPG players play WOW.

And yes, I do assume most MMORPG players play WOW.
    Personal opinion =/= fact. You can probably find 10 million players just spread out in other mmo's

Personal opinion =/= fact. You can probably find 10 million players just spread out in other mmo's
    Maybe, but just barely. Link:

mmodata.net

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-1.png

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png

If you add up all the other MMORPGs, they might just barely add up to 10 million. I think it's safe to say that approximately half of the MMORPG market plays WOW.

Quite intrigued about The Secret World. The fact that it is made by Tornquist is very exciting in itself as it's almost a guarantee that it will be something thought out and audacious in its approach. I saw some footage and I noticed a very humorous undertone, which is great in my books. The environment reminds me of a very old adventure game called "Hollywood Monsters". The only uncertainty that I am yet to answer is whether this is going to be a pure Sandbox or more of a Theme-park with some sandbox elements.