Cool Double Fine Adventure - Invest in a brighter future for the game industry

I was really surprised that I didn't find any threads about it in here, but the awesome Tim Schafer (of "Day of the Tentacle", "Monkey Island", "Psycohnauts and "Grim Fandango" fame) is going to start a new project, and this time he doesn't want to deal with the hassle of investors and everyone else who is humping his back. So to solve the money problem he'd rather go straight to the people actually buying games, namely us gamers.

So what do you get for investing? Anyone investing $15 or more gets the actual game, beta access, video access and private forum access. Is that it? Nope, there are several more rewards at different cash levels, actually as far up as $150,000!!!

It has already reached far above its goal (only took 8 hours), but as said on the site, all the extra money go back into the game and the documentary.

So would you like to fund this awesome project? All info in the link below.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...fine-adventure

Oh, and I invested $100. Really missing a great adventure game, Tim Schafer is awesome and getting "Special thanks" in the credits is enough to justify it for me. Only wish I had more to fund it.

The funny thing is, it raised over 400 000e in 9 hours.

Damn you pirating PC gaming community!

Edit: And almoust double of that now, only few hours later.
    Last edited by Wilian; 2012-02-09 at 06:33 PM.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Oh hell yeah. $30 for them! Just wish I had $10,000 spare so I could have lunch with those magnificent bastards! (Although, I've already been to the pub with Ron, so maybe I could get a discount?) :P

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    So if I pay them this, do I still need to pay for the game?

I hope it turns out good. I loved Psychonauts.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    So if I pay them this, do I still need to pay for the game?

I hope it turns out good. I loved Psychonauts.
    As long as you fund $15 or more you get the game, as well as beta access, video access and private forum access. There are several other rewards for those funding even more (as you can see on the website), like getting your name in the special thanks in the credits and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    The funny thing is, it raised over 400 000e in 9 hours.

Damn you pirating PC gaming community!

Edit: And almoust double of that now, only few hours later.
    Yup PC gaming is dieing because of pirates. No one wants to spend money on games anymore!

Donated $100 earlier. I'm almost in tears about having another point-and-click adventure title from the masters of adventure games.

Check the page again =D
    I mostly play fighting games these days.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinyknight View Post
    Sounds like a great way of financing indie games, I can't say I'm a massive fan of this studio but hopefully other studios will follow suit and some of them will be games I am more interested in.

Hope everything works out.
    This indeed. It's a great way to get the community in from the start and knowing exactly who you're gonna cater your product to. It keeps an open and honest relationship between the studio and the consumers. I strongly support these kind of projects. Even to the extend I don't plan to play the game, but gave a 30 bucks for them anyways just to encourage this model.

lol Kickstarter site goes down just as they reach a million.

Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post
    lol Kickstarter site goes down just as they reach a million.
    Too many people spamming F5.

I know because I was one of them.

TimOfLegend Tim Schafer
    $955k! Guys, I'll make you a deal. If we hit $980k I'll add RTS elements to the game! And if we hit $1M, I'll take them back out!
    Epic lulz at this jab towards the modern gaming industry. <.<
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Gotta love Tim's (and Double Fine's in general) sense of humor. If you go to the Double Fine website it lists the bonuses for donation milestones above $10,000 and they're pretty funny.

Also, at the time of this posting they're at ~$1,129,000. Any bets on how much they'll get before the 33 days are up? I'm hoping for at least $2,000,000.

Let it be known that if you get fans involved in a project, they'll be good to you if you're good to them.

*Glares at capcom*

Watching all this money gather up, I find myself at a loss for words and pure joy, this is just fantastic for doublefine.
    Last edited by Veluren; 2012-02-10 at 04:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nara Numas View Post
    Let it be known that if you get fans involved in a project, they'll be good to you if you're good to them.

*Glares at capcom*

Watching all this money gather up, I find myself at a loss for words and pure joy, this is just fantastic for doublefine.

*Glares at ubisoft*

I donated $30, I wonder how much they will get in total. After today it will probably slow down

This is awesome. I can see no problem with giving Double Fine more creative freedom, other than an explosion of sheer awesomeness when I get to play this game.
    I think it was more of a reference towards Brutal Legend. People complained about the "forced" RTS elements, even though they were originally all the game was going to be about. If I remember correctly, it was EA and Activision's fault that the game ended up the way it was in the end.

Deleted
    I read the description on kickstarter and was psyched to support this game.

I made and account and wanted to support the project... just to find out I need a credit card to do so

But oh well, at least I have more than 30 days left to decide if it's worth to get a credit card just to back them...

I'm gonna wait for this to backfire, when all the people who funded this start to complain that the game isn't being developed how they want it to be :P. Other than that, this is a pretty cool idea, and the people doing it are hilarious.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

It actually could be a jab at Brutal Legend.

Edit:
    Anyways I think I'm going to support this. Just need to decide how much...
    Last edited by Xeones; 2012-02-10 at 07:55 PM.

1.4 million. My God.