Capello resigns as England manager

Thoughts? How will this impact England in Euro 2012? Who will be his replacement? Discuss =)

Basically left with no option by the FA - he may have resigned but when they stripped Terry of the captaincy they essentially undermined his position as the Manager of the national side, regardless as to what you think of John Terry or Fabio Capello ultimately it's Capello's job to pick the team & control the tactics of that team, part of that remit includes picking of the captain. Now while i disagree with The FA's involvement in this, i do however feel they acted in the best interests of the team, not wishing to sound like a card carrying member of the BNP here but there's several players within the England squad who are coloured (is there a politically correct way of saying that because it doesn't feel like it!) including one member of the squad who is the brother of the man Terry is accused of abusing. There comes a point where there has to be some thought to the impact on the squad and frankly i doubt if Rio Ferdinand will have anything other than sheer contempt for John Terry!

Impact on England at Euro 2012 - zero, zilch, nada. England weren't winning that tournament anyway so the impact should be negligable, i do expect them as a squad to reach at the bare minimum the Quarter Final, however i would see a Semi Final appearance as over-achieving, the squad lacks the team spirit to win the trophy as it currently stands and i do not believe they have the players to do so either. At this point in time i do not believe England have the skillset in the goalkeeping department to win a championship, this has been their downfall since David Seaman's heyday.

Who will be the replacement, well, ultimately given the dire state of English football management there is only one viable option - Harry Redknapp. England's football managers should be of grave concern to The FA, a short tale of the lack of their clout can be measured within the Premiership, 24 managers in the league of which only 3 are English. To put it into context for you, the English view Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland as substandard in footballing terms - however they represent 6, 2 & 2 respectively in numbers of managers in the Premiership (well, 5.5 given Steve Kean), to really hammer the point home, the last English manager to win the top division in England was Howard Wilkinson with Leeds United in 91/92, Kenny Dalglish tops that in his own right with Blackburn Rovers! England for some reason have failed to grow reasonable standard managers over the course of the last decade or so, it's crazy to me that with so much money & infrastructure behind them The FA have allowed it to be so bad. Essentially the skillset has been ignored for decades, either through some form of apathy (oh what's the point it's all money anyway) or a lack of drive from ex-pro's to coach at the highest standard - there just hasn't been anyone to break through as a credible option for the England job, Harry Redknapp is the best option out there for England right now as i do not believe the England squad would accept any other British manager as outside Fergie they would see it as beneath them. (that being said, outside Sir Alex Ferguson i do not believe there is a credible British manager available - after him you're looking towards either Martin O'Neill or Walter Smith neither of whom would be seen as viable especially given Smith's previous endeavours with Scotland)

Ultimately though i think it comes down to this, there was a need for the whole choir to be singing from the same hymn sheet on this front and it was clear from the outset that this was not going to happen. The FA i do believe could learn a lot from the RFU with regards to their recent policy in place which states that any player with legal issues outstanding (i.e. on charge awaiting trial) will not be considered for selection until such times as their issues are resolved as it would become a distraction for the squad - as it was shown to be at the World Cup last year, they learned quickly from that. John Terry himself has become divisive and not for the first time, ironically i believe he's one of the few players who actually gives a fuck about playing for England (unlike a certain striker who takes pot shots at his own fans) but his day will come in court, i do believe if he's found guilty he will have to retire from international football though.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

England national team has been really weak these past years....

At this point in time i do not believe England have the skillset in the goalkeeping department to win a championship, this has been their downfall since David Seaman's heyday.
    '

I'd have to disagree here. Joe Hart is an excellent young keeper, easily one of the best in the Premier League atm, and has proven to be very stable. In fact goalie is probably the one position we do have covered properly right now!

I do agree with your point about the FA perhaps shouldnt intefer too much once theyve appointed a manager. If the manager cant run the team the way he wants then why is he there? Surely you bring in a manager with their methods, because theyve used those methods at other levels to succeed.

On a lack of English managers, well the Premier Leagues attracted a lot of foreign interest, clubs are being brought by foreign owners, who then want to bring in managers from other countries to get the best of their teams. I think the EPL is the most competitive league in the world, and one of the few that hasnt been dominated by very few clubs. (In the past decade to 15 years we've had about 7-8 clubs challenge for the title/top 4, as well as had 6 clubs reach the QF or further in the CL.) If you look at it like that and then take into account things like when were the last time Barca or Real Madrid were managed by Spanish managers?

I think also not enough ex-English footballers go on to become managers, many become football pundits, or coaches, but very few seem to go into managering. Compare that to especially the amount of other British nations. In the past decade we've seen Roy Keane, Gary Speed, Chris Coleman and so forth all get into managering very very quickly. Whereas Shearer, Linekar went into television, Ince is managing a lower league team I think, but the rest seem to kinda vanish, or become coaches at their old clubs.

I also think that a lot of Englands problem stems from the development of younger talent. I had a friend that was a brilliant football, in a Gerrard style model, he would sit in midfield, keep possession, run non-stop for 90minutes, and a great mentality. He got into semi-pro footballer but then instead of being able to go further, he was offered a job as a young peoples coach at the local club (Charlton FC.) Why are young players that could become professionals being turned into coaches? It seems ridiculous. Then comes the problem with the amount of competition to get into an EPL club as an English youngster. Unless you are Rooney like in talent, how hard is it? You have to compete against the best youngsters in the world, let alone in England.

As for your comments about skillset in the Goal keeping department - Joe Hart is one of the best keepers in the worls. If you meant we don't have strength in depth in that department then you certainly didn't say it well.

CITY TILL I DIE!