Poll: Are gamers nerds or not?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Vin Diesal anyone ?

Some gamers are nerds, but not all gamers are nerds...

(Pssst, I'm a gamer and I'm a nerd/geek.)

The sterotypical nerd was never associated with video games. They were somebody with almost no social skills, had a certain look, were always smarter than the people that called them nerds, had better jobs, worked harder etc. It was pretty much all born of jealousy by the 99% let's call them heh.

Any way of seeing a 'nerd' today is just a very loose interpretation of the definition.
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

depends on the game i would say, something like just playing a FPS then no, something that requires skill, maths or actual real brain power to work out what to do in the other hand is different. (and no playing wow does not make you a geek, not exacly the most complex thing to play in the world my 6 year old cuz plays a priest healer just fine lol)

15+ Year Old Account
    I dunno about all of that, but she's cute. And is she wearing Gunnars?

Nerds are people "heavily into something" wouldn't that be the same for any gym nut narcissist? Yet we refer to them as jocks or muscle assholes.

Gamers, in this day and age, refers to anyone who plays video games. With FPS, mainly CoD, racing games, and all that graphic intensive shit that's become mainstream, even the jocks who play these are considered gamers to some degree, they're just not the hardcore gamers who read kotaku or giantbomb who know the latest news on gaming or play a variety of games on various consoles.

The thing about gaming is it attracts nerds. Nerds tend to enjoy SCI-FI or high fantasy lore-enriched stuff, most games offer these things.

Conclusively most nerds are usually gamers, but not all gamers are nerds. You can have competitive gamers who play to win and couldn't give less of a fuck about lore and just like to stomp face, in other words pro gamers.

I'd say the person dictates whether or not they are a nerd not whether or not they play games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yay for labels!

I'm pretty nerdlike, though it's not necessary to be nerdy in order to be a gamer.

The 'bros' that people speak of as playing WoW I usually find in competitive PvP, not so represented elsewhere in the game.

I'm a hardcore Nintendo gamer, and thus, I'm into pretty childish games, and thus I'm also a nerd, but fuck that, I'm proud of it, no matter what people say!

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    A nerd; Someone who is exceptional at logical, linear thinking.
    A geek; Someone who has a natural affinity with technology
    A gamer; Most likely none of the above

Except if, you know, that person is naturally shy or an introvert....
    Pretty much this, but the way nerds are exposed in this thread is really demeaning.
    Nerds aren't like that, nor the way movies tell you they are.
    Some of them maybe they are, but those are not even into gaming.

10+ Year Old Account
    if gamers where nerds then there would be no bad players in WoW

nerds are nerds

gamers are gamers

some gamers are nerds

most nerds are gamers

Deleted
    OP, those pictures really sum it up, don't they? You give like the 2 most attractive gamers to represent gamers. I am sorry, but most of the gamers don't look like that.

Nerds and Gamers are quickly becoming one in the same. Even the people you would have expected to not play MMOs 3 years ago are now playing them. Games are simply becoming more "socially acceptable" now as the new generation moves into the dominant age slot. These days on facebook I'll see some of the most socially popular guys who I went to highschool with 3 years ago talking about spending hours playing Skyrim and things like that. Times are changing.

A nerd generally is defined as a socially awkward individual who spends inordinate amounts of times on "obscure or unpopular pursuits". (Thanks wikipedia!). With games (and RPGs specifically) becoming more socially acceptable, they can no longer be described as unpopular or obscure.

So basically, spending a lot of time of games is quickly becoming socially acceptable, giving less of a reason for anyone who does so to be called a nerd. You can still be called a nerd for other things, such as spending a lot of time on a technical pursuit, like science or engineering or what have you. But this no longer really applies to gamers.
    Last edited by Alcsaar; 2012-02-10 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    I'm a nerd and I game. I also love certain sports. I love lazing around watching tv and hiking through the woods on a brisk autumn evening.

Categorization; It always fails.
    Exactly this. I like computers, I like games, I follow the Starcraft 2 competitive scene, and watch Day9 religiously. Technology fascinates me and I try to learn as much as I can (I'm constantly on wikipedia building my random knowledge database).

On the other hand, I also train in three different martial arts and fencing, all on a weekly basis (some more, 5 day training regime). I also follow mixed martial arts a lot, and enjoy writing and going out with friends and all the normal stuff.

So on one hand, I'm a nerd, on the other, I'm the polar opposite and in my group usually seen as the 'sporty one'. So I'm a nerd-jock hybrid? Or am I just a 'fuck stupid labels, why not just do what we enjoy instead of splitting ourselves into groups?'
    Cho’Gall: Cairne Bloodhoof is dead? Did we kill him?
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.
    Cho’Gall: How do you accidentally kill someone with an axe?

Nerd is a derogatory slang term for an intellectual but socially-impaired, perhaps obsessive person who spends inordinate amounts of time on unpopular, obscure, or highly technical pursuits, or relating to topics of fiction or fantasy, to the exclusion of more mainstream activities.[1][2][3] Nerds are considered to be awkward, shy, and unattractive.[4] Thus, a nerd is often excluded from physical activity and considered a loner by others, or will tend to associate with a small group of like-minded people. As with other pejoratives, nerd has been reappropriated by some as a term of pride and group identity.

il just leave this here
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.

Also, labels are pretty dumb in and of themselves. What are we in middle school? Cursing preps and jocks? I'll be whatever I want to be.

Maybe a decade or two ago gamers were nerds, but I know jocks, models etc that play games now so just being a gamer doesnt make you a nerd anymore. I think the wii played a huge part in that, bringing a console into the mainstream changed everything. If you build, mod and dedicate a large part of your life to games and take them sriously I guess you're a nerd. Just playing games doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by kittycovox View Post
    Nerd is a derogatory slang term for an intellectual but socially-impaired, perhaps obsessive person who spends inordinate amounts of time on unpopular, obscure, or highly technical pursuits, or relating to topics of fiction or fantasy, to the exclusion of more mainstream activities.[1][2][3] Nerds are considered to be awkward, shy, and unattractive.[4] Thus, a nerd is often excluded from physical activity and considered a loner by others, or will tend to associate with a small group of like-minded people. As with other pejoratives, nerd has been reappropriated by some as a term of pride and group identity.

il just leave this here
    Think about the word 'queer'. Originally a derogatory term for the LGBT community, but it was later reclaimed by them.

I see nerd in much the same way. Originally a bad thing, but then people began identifying themselves as nerds as a good thing.
    Cho’Gall: Cairne Bloodhoof is dead? Did we kill him?
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.
    Cho’Gall: How do you accidentally kill someone with an axe?