Switching OS to Disc

I normally raid heal as holy and really enjoy it, but I'm thinking about switching my off spec to disc to give it a whirl. Problem is i'm stacking spirit and mastery on my holy setup, and from what I've heard, spirit isn't quite as important for disc. Amylol on Thunderlord is my priest

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's true, spirit is not even close to as important for disc as in holy.

Just so you know before you go into some raids all guns blazing, disc is pretty bad right now.

Deleted
    Yes, for disc spirit isn't really that important, so if you do decide to go for that spec you can reforge away a lot of spirit to another stat. I have about 2400 spirit raid buffed and DW trinket proc. If you don't want to reforge your gear, I'd stay holy. If you don't mind reforging your gear, then go for it. It's my favourite spec by far
    Last edited by mmoc416153d144; 2012-02-09 at 10:52 PM.

Hey so am in the exact opposite situation. I am a disc healer for my alt guild runs. We raid 10mans with a holy pally and resto shaman. I have been thinking about going back to holy because the fights that I do heal, I think that holy would be just as decent. I could be wrong. Disc is pretty competitive in almost any setting. Divine Aegis is a great talent and I spec into atonement which makes doing 5-man dungeons just so much faster.
    Right now the only fights I heal are:
    Heroic Morchok, Zon'ozz and Spine of Deathwing (we are single tanking and 2 healing madness at the moment). I think our next step in progression is heroic ultraxion where I will be dpsing anyways. But after that I think we will attempt either hagara or yor'shaj. Hagara where holy shines and yor'shaj where disc shines. So I am not sure what to do.
    If your anything like me then my concerns are probably similar to yours. As far as stat weights mastery is a competitive stat for disc. Otherwise if you change specs, I would just reforge all excess spirit to haste.

Quote Originally Posted by Artravus View Post
    Just so you know before you go into some raids all guns blazing, disc is pretty bad right now.
    No it isn't. Disc brings a mechanic that no other healer brings, it has very solid mana regen capabilities (without stacking spirit), and it brings 2 very useful cooldowns.

Deleted

Is this a joke? Aside from Hpala, disc is the 2nd best healer, mainly due to the fact that most fights only require 1,5-2,5 healers. You bring in the disc priest to do attonement and heal when the other 1 or 2 healers can't do the job themselfs. Aside from Hagara, there's not a single fight that holy does better (10m heroic).

Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Is this a joke? Aside from Hpala, disc is the 2nd best healer, mainly due to the fact that most fights only require 1,5-2,5 healers. You bring in the disc priest to do attonement and heal when the other 1 or 2 healers can't do the job themselfs. Aside from Hagara, there's not a single fight that holy does better (10m heroic).
    Spine says hi. Handle the debuffs better, and you're in a significantly better shape to survive the damage amping up. It just requires you to be on top of your game.

Secondly, apart from Madness and Smitraxion, there's not a single fight that Discipline does better. Both play to their strengths and their healing comp. Secondly, outside of Smitraxion, there's not really room for a 1.5-2.5 healer fight. Either the damage is low enough you drop to 2, or it's high enough you bring three. Atonement shouldn't be the dealbreaker, it's not enough damage to replace a DPS. I thought we went through these with Spiritus' repeated XPS discussions?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

If you're in LFR+ onwards gear, you can reforge away all your spirit and still be perfectly fine with mana regen. I've got 1.9k spirit and can handle heroic ds with zero mana issues. Then again, I almost got 170k [not using the +2% mana meta] mana.

I strongly suggest getting the addon "Ingela's Rapture" so you can keep to tabs of your rapture procs and when to shield in advance for mana gains.

Aditionally, macro all abilities that Inner Focus works with, to precast Inner Focus before using said abilities... it doesn't use a GCD, so you can spam away your abilties, and it'd automatically use it whenever it's off CD.

What a load of bollox this statement is. Don't listen to this person... My guild's currently on 5/8 in heroic progress, using only 2 healers, with the exception of Warlord... me being one of them.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2012-02-11 at 08:22 PM.

Deleted
    Disc isn't bad but it's not great either. It is very far from being the second best healer as someone pointed out. In a 25 man setting, we only a discipline priest for barrier pretty much. We also prefer it for Madness because of its length you can spam a bit more than holy can. That being said we still utilize a holy priest for that fight, divine hymn is almost too powerful to skip in 4.3.

Deleted
    I love it when 25m priests comment on a remark made about 10m...

Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    I love it when 25m priests comment on a remark made about 10m...
    I love when people still deny the fact the content, on 10, has been done by Priests in both specs pre-nerf.

I also love when a poster pulls a red herring when someone counters their train of thought.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

A cursory glance of world of logs for 10m heroic seems to disagree with you...

One of this biggest problems is the 4pc bonus is extremely unbalanced for disc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    I love when people still deny the fact the content, on 10, has been done by Priests in both specs pre-nerf.

I also love when a poster pulls a red herring when someone counters their train of thought.
    Blah Blah Blah.

Come back when you start doing 10m... Yes, priests have played both specs, but people have played MM hunters aswell, does that mean that MM hunters are just as good as Survival hunters? You didn't counter my "train of thought", you and locoibland started talking about 25m again, where things are different.

And you're completely wrong about spine aswell, but you wouldn't know because you probably haven't done it on 10m!
    Last edited by mmocff76f9a79b; 2012-02-12 at 10:44 AM.