Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Vayjir View Post
    I think this movie was quite bad so much wasted potential for one too little action going on i would have so hoped it would be like Akira but i guess we have to wait for the hollywood version for that to come (even tought im against it)
    Why the hell would it be like Akira? Tetsuo is experimented upon and given power which he then uses to rebel against authority not only because of what it did to him that resulted in him gaining power but also because the authority has been largely ignoring the plight of people like him and when they do step in it is with force directed at them. Whereas Andrew and company live in a relatively free society, receive power from a pretty much unknown origin, and Andrew's oppression is all on a very personal level (his father, bullies, local thugs, etc.).

If you went into this expecting something like Akira then I think you either saw radically different trailers than I did or you have a very poor understanding of Akira.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebane View Post
    Disagree.
    Moriarty was kinda ... bleh. And they reused too much of the whole slow down time crap to pad the film.

There's worse things to do for a couple of hours mind you; but I'd just go see The Grey again.

---------- Post added 2012-02-10 at 02:33 PM ----------

Wait, what ? Really ?
    Yeah I thought the exact same thing.
    Where did you park the invisible car?

Worst movie I have seen in a long time. What is it.. 75 minutes? It was missing so much of the story/background. Looked totally rushed. Looks like The Hobbit will be my favorite movie this year without a doubt.
    Free-To-Play is the future.

I enjoyed the movie as a whole. I didn't mind the slight nods to it being a teenager sort of movie with the love interest, (Spoilers ahead)

--

but what really got me was the switch in main character.

I mean I felt betrayed having felt bad for the broken home boy who then gets super powers and because he's such a loser he gets to destroy everyone and everything around him and we're forced to switch to the third main character(I thought Steve was a pretty good character until he died). The premise was amazing, CGI was incredible or at the very least above expectations. I'm assuming 90% of the budget went into the last 2 minutes of the movie.

It was short, but overall was a slightly better movie than expected and it was better than almost everything that came out last year.

Much better than most of the shit i've seen recently - 2011 was an awful year for films.

The basic premise isn't totally new - 3 guys get a super power from an alien(?) crystal and then their adventure begins.
    But what counts is how they react, and how their characters change. Also the way they use their power is very typical of what a normal teenager would do. "Saving the world" is a lot less fun than the pranks like they did in the film.

The anti-hero is basically a bullied, introverted youngster. He's abused by his father and is under a lot of stress because of all this and the fact that his mother is dying. Getting superpowers gives him a glimmer of hope that he can finally be liked. But after the bedroom incident (vomits on the girl) he goes back to being a "loser". Naturally he loses it and starts on a path of revenge. It's the classic creation of a villain. As a counter his cousin is the reluctant hero in the film, who is initially less powerful. The film is somewhat of a tragedy in that the anti-hero loses control and has to be eliminated.

This is also the first superhero type movie with the "found-footage" type style; which works really really well and makes it feel incredibly realistic. Being a short film, every scene seems relevant.

Good interesting characters and villains, not the typical 1 dimensional bullshit you see so much in every hollywood film.

So yea, I really liked it and I find it really odd that most people seem to be complaining that the film is not good whenever they post.
    In fact the film has been quite well-received by critics too: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/chronicle/
    Last edited by Neeshka; 2012-02-16 at 09:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really liked it. It was pretty predictable, but it was, in my opinion, so well executed that that really isn't a flaw.
    "I see nothing. I hear nothing. I taste victory."

"Trolling (verb): speaking your honest opinion." - you know who

I actually really liked this movie, has a lot of interesting things in it and I thought the see the movie from one camera thing actually worked for its benefit, made it seem more real and less hollywood superhero action movie type thing.

Im not sure why some people dont like it, it was a good movie for the different aspects it used holding it back.

Quote Originally Posted by kaloth View Post
    Well in real life if something like this happened 1st They shouldn't have had a party ANYWERE near that. hole. 2nd the goverment should of watched that at ALL times. 3rd the hole being pushed around thing is really damn old i mean they did it for harry potter,Spider man and alot of otherfilms. i could go on and on about how this film had so many loop holes.
    Wait, what? Why wouldn't they have a party near "that hole"? People obviously didn't even know there was one. Why would the government watch it? There are plenty of little caverns in the ground like that. There isn't actually any plot hole, because we didn't get any of the background.

Anyway, I don't see what people have against hand-held camera movies.
    Last edited by Fojos; 2012-02-18 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    Wait, what? Why wouldn't they have a party near "that hole"? People obviously didn't even know there was one. Why would the government watch it? There are plenty of little caverns in the ground like that. There isn't actually any plot hole, because we didn't get any of the background.

Anyway, I don't see what people have against hand-held camera movies.
    Well, when they came back to the hole there were people there telling them to go away.

I thought it was a pretty decent flick. A lot of people I know hate the found footage genre, but i kinda dig it. I especially like the way this movie inter-weaved security footage and stuff with the regular handheld camera shots. Pretty smart imo. I did think Chronicle could've been a bit longer, and had a better ending (not the "battle", that was awesome, but the stupid "OH look I'm in India" shot). Overall, though...pretty decent flick.

Quote Originally Posted by Clawtrocity View Post
    but what really got me was the switch in main character.

I mean I felt betrayed having felt bad for the broken home boy who then gets super powers and because he's such a loser he gets to destroy everyone and everything around him and we're forced to switch to the third main character
    I don't even know what to say about this. Just because dude goes full emo and starts destroying shit and other dude has to stop him doesn't mean that emo dude isn't still the main character.

Quote Originally Posted by kaloth View Post
    Well, when they came back to the hole there were people there telling them to go away.
    It had also been filled in, obviously the government (I'm assuming) had discovered it since they were first there. However that DOES lead to the one possible plot hole in this movie. One of the guys says "kiss your old camera good bye" or something along those lines. Whoever discovered the hole since they had first been there SHOULD have footage of them (at least the two guys not holding the camera). Although I guess that could be explained away by saying the crystal fried the camera or something.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just finished watching, and while it isn't a cinematic masterpiece, I have to admit I enjoyed it quite a bit. Found footage works great to "chronicle" the teens progression of their powers along with giving three realistic ways that people would handle having these abilities.

What we learn from Andrew, who had vastly more control and power is the classic absolute power, corrupts absolutely. His immense power combined with his social status and his wretched home situation is a good showing of the classic villain creation. Steve's character is to me, prior to his death reminds me more of a hero who is prepared from day one to be what he needs to be. He is shown to be a good friend, and even though he was obviously extremely popular he doesn't develop arrogance from gaining powers. I think he learned some empathy and awareness from gaining the power. Finally is Matt, who is the classic reluctant hero. There are tons of these characters found within superhero mythos, but the majority are the opposite of Matt's character. Generally the reluctant hero is reluctant because he personally does not want to get involved in the affairs that come with being a hero. Matt however, is more reluctant because he doesn't want to watch as Andrew becomes more twisted and cruel as his power grows.

I have to say, this movie did a bang up job on portraying how I have always dreamed that powers would be developed, along with the choices one would make because of the power. Overall I give it a 7.5 out of 10, because the film was a little shorter than I would have liked, and because I the running time I think even though it was found footage the character development lacked.

Also, just to let it be known... Once again, the black guy dies first.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I really enjoyed it.

I have to say, this movie did a bang up job on portraying how I have always dreamed that powers would be developed, along with the choices one would make because of the power. Overall I give it a 7.5 out of 10, because the film was a little shorter than I would have liked, and because I the running time I think even though it was found footage the character development lacked.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

The whole movie didn't really have a solid story but I liked it nonetheless. Great filming style, and great portrayal of what a group of friends would do if they got in this situation.

i found this film to be alot like unbreakable, only with found footage... i enjoyed it very much and felt it put a different twist on the way this story is usually told...