Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Shadow Priest Tier 13 MS/MB Rotation [Video]

Have a lot of people whisper me about this so I went ahead and made it. There are a few other strategies/rotation variances that some of the other shadow priests like to use so do not take this as THE rotation. This is the way I do it and the results are quite good. Enjoy.

Last edited by Koilie; 2012-02-20 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Updated embedded video

You seem to have forgotten a link to the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucretcia View Post
    You seem to have forgotten a link to the video.
    He embed it. You are probably someplace that is blocking youtube (I have that problem at work all the time).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kiYzwhC1yk

Guess I'll have to wait until I go home to watch the video. Thanks for clarifying that for me. Work just recently started blocking youtube T.T

Nice vid, i knew most of it but was having trouble figuring out how to get /cancelaura mind melt to work properly, didn't think about that i had to wait for the mind spike to finish, even though it's obvious now that i know it.

I've been putting a tick or two of Mind Flay in while waiting for Orbs from the swing instead of using the /cancelaura macro. it seems to work pretty naturally, and helps get right back into the normal rotation quickly (since I'll have Empowered Shadows and Dark Evangelism up fully by the end of the burn). WIth PT and Lightweave and my Volcanic Potion pre-pot up, I get some pretty nasty burst. Perhaps I could wait for Will of the Unbinding, but I don't know if I'll lose my PT/LW procs by that time. Its already cutting it close usually on PT. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Felade; 2012-02-11 at 02:55 AM.

i've also not been bothering with any cancelaura mind melt stuff, when i tried it it seemed clunky and unreliable. flaying between spikes and instant blast feels much more fluid and intuitive.

Deleted
    nice vid. But i have one question:

Do you even use ms/mb rotation while your SF without AA is up or do you only use MS/MB while both cds are up?
    Last edited by mmocfe8f04cb0b; 2012-02-11 at 12:44 PM. Reason: mistakes

Boerner, generally it is best to wait until both CDs are up at the same time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boerner View Post
    nice vid. But i have one question:

Do you even use ms/mb rotation while your SF without AA is up or do you only use MS/MB while both cds are up?
    I actually do the MS/MB rotation whenever SF is up regardless of DA. they do line up together often but not always. Holding either for more than a few seconds is not worth it though. It's still a DPS increase without DA active.

Many priests I know have been doing the MF ticks to allow orbs to generate before instant casting MB, but I have gotten better results personally with more hard nukes per cycle. The kicker of the MFs in the rotation of course being evangelism stacks for your initial dot re-apply after the burn. I have tried 5 tick MF after a burn that used DA but I just didn't see a noticeable difference as opposed to simply re-applying with ES only and no Evangelism. Since that fist round of dots without 10% isnt very significant. Plus if your doing the burn without DA mid fight then you dont have to worry about Evangelism anyway as it will stay up until you re-apply dots. it's only a factor after SF/DA combo burns and then only a small factor as the nuke phase makes up for more than the missing dots and a single round of less buffed dots.

Oprritunity cost seemed high to get 5 ticks of MF and lose however many dot ticks. As stated though this is by no means the end all be all MS/MB rotation just the way I have found that works best for me Thanks for the feedback guys.

@Felade I wouldn't hold for WoU since as you said your other procs will start to fall, but also the tinket will be fully stacked toward the back end of your burn regardless as you should be getting 1 stack for a pre VT plus 2 stacks from your Mind Flays. You should get 11-14 casts with SF active depending on haste/buffs so upwards of a third to half your burn could have 10 stacked trinket.
    Last edited by Koilie; 2012-02-11 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShottyMcShot View Post
    I actually do the MS/MB rotation whenever SF is up regardless of DA. they do line up together often but not always. Holding either for more than a few seconds is not worth it though. It's still a DPS increase without DA active.

Many priests I know have been doing the MF ticks to allow orbs to generate before instant casting MB, but I have gotten better results personally with more hard nukes per cycle. The kicker of the MFs in the rotation of course being evangelism stacks for your initial dot re-apply after the burn. I have tried 5 tick MF after a burn that used DA but I just didn't see a noticeable difference as opposed to simply re-applying with ES only and no Evangelism. Since that fist round of dots without 10% isnt very significant. Plus if your doing the burn without DA mid fight then you dont have to worry about Evangelism anyway as it will stay up until you re-apply dots. it's only a factor after SF/DA combo burns and then only a small factor as the nuke phase makes up for more than the missing dots and a single round of less buffed dots.

Oprritunity cost seemed high to get 5 ticks of MF and lose however many dot ticks. As stated though this is by no means the end all be all MS/MB rotation just the way I have found that works best for me Thanks for the feedback guys.

@Felade I wouldn't hold for WoU since as you said your other procs will start to fall, but also the tinket will be fully stacked toward the back end of your burn regardless as you should be getting 1 stack for a pre VT plus 2 stacks from your Mind Flays. You should get 11-14 casts with SF active depending on haste/buffs so upwards of a third to half your burn could have 10 stacked trinket.

The math of 1-2MF ticks + instant MB doing more damage than a casted MB should be a no brainer
    Also, you should aim to use MB before you pull out your SF but after the AA. This will clear the orbs as you said but doing so with a MB instead of a mind spike will give you 1 MB extra during the AA and still be able to benefit from the three with maxed orbs during/after SF.

---------- Post added 2012-02-11 at 06:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vampiroth View Post
    Boerner, generally it is best to wait until both CDs are up at the same time.
    It does ofcourse differ for players with different gear, but I've found that for me and my gear, waiting more than 20ish seconds with either AA or SF is a dps loss. I always wait with me Engi gloves though, either for AA or SF, preferable both.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great video! ;D I just have one question is there any other addon then forte exorcist to track Shadow Fiend? Since I have trouble finding one ;P

Deleted
    Great video! ;D I just have one question is there any other addon then forte exorcist to track Shadow Fiend? Since I have trouble finding one ;P
    I use Pettimetolive. Search it on curse.com. I can´t post links....
    It shows you the duration of your pet per bar or per countdown.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boerner View Post
    I use Pettimetolive. Search it on curse.com. I can´t post links....
    It shows you the duration of your pet per bar or per countdown.
    '

Ohh Thanks this worked really good!

Yeah, if the gap between the two is big you might want to go ahead and use sf.

Deleted
    caster haste doesn't affect the amount of swings fiend does. Only external haste buffs do (lust/uh frenzy) not sure if wf totem also. So no point to wait for insignia to proc.Easy to test.

Swaying away from this rotation just because I think that using an opener like prepot - SFiend - MBlast - Dots with priority is better for single target fights. I don't even use mindspike on any encounter anymore besides Spine.
    Vyroxx @ Mal'Ganis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Forian View Post
    Swaying away from this rotation just because I think that using an opener like prepot - SFiend - MBlast - Dots with priority is better for single target fights. I don't even use mindspike on any encounter anymore besides Spine.
    even on hagara? i mean, i was contemplating using spike on that fight before I even had 4pc t13. It's undoubtedly better when there's a short window to burst in (I also use it for slimes on yorsahj since dots aren't likely to even get a full duration, although I've ranked well on hagara and not yorsahj so what do i know :P)

Nope, don't use it on Hagara. Most of your damage on Hagara (in terms of parsing) comes from RNG. If you're lucky and don't get tombed Mind Sear will destroy that fight.
    Vyroxx @ Mal'Ganis

Deleted
    The spiking during the increased damage is where most of the damage on the boss comes from though, not sure why you wouldn't.