Page 1 of 2
LastLast

will guild wars 2 have a head start

Will guild wars 2 have a head start? And what is everybody's opinion on head start is it a good thing or bad?

Quote Originally Posted by jon234 View Post
    Will guild wars 2 have a head start? And what is everybody's opinion on head start is it a good thing or bad?
    You mean dif people start the game at dif times?

I think it's a fairly good idea from a technical perspective. I can't really see anything negative about it really. People have waited 4+ years, I'm sure they'll be able to wait an extra 2 days.

By head start I mean they get to play before the release date similar to what rift did. rift had a 5 day head start i believe is what it was and people got to level their characters before hand unlike people who didn't preorder the game.

Nothing is known about the release, so no reason to speculate about this.

I think people who play GW1 they might give a head start, just a theory

Yeah I think that's fine. People have waited more than 1000 days for it... so 5 more days isn't a big deal. If it makes the launch go smoother, then I'm all for it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    Yeah I think that's fine. People have waited more than 1000 days for it... so 5 more days isn't a big deal. If it makes the launch go smoother, then I'm all for it.
    As a GW1 vet I like the sound of this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    Nothing is known about the release, so no reason to speculate about this.
    Except the fact that the marketing team is NCSOFT, which has done pre releases before.
    The most important thing to realize is, no matter what you experience you are never alone; no matter what you are struggling through, there is always someone who is more unfortunate.

It's Ok to Be Takei (Rank 35/ Fractal Level 22)

If pre-orders do allow one to play earlier than release, I'll have to break my no pre-ordering rule.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deyadissa View Post
    Except the fact that the marketing team is NCSOFT, which has done pre releases before.
    No, I'm pretty sure Anet has their own marketing team, but I remember full well our last conversation about NCSoft's involvement with ArenaNet. I vaguely remember it ending with you asserting the "fact" that NCSoft is indeed more involved with the development of GW2 than anyone of us might realize.

Otherwise if your comment was positive in nature, then I'd have no problem with pre-orders and GW1 vets getting a head start. However, this would be a problem for me since I pre-ordered the physical copy of GW2. I would feel bad for everyone who's in my position. I'm patient though, so I don't really have hard feelings against anyone being 5 or more days ahead of me.

I just hope people who buy the CE of GW2 will get a head start, that would be nice x3.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthoren View Post
    I just hope people who buy the CE of GW2 will get a head start, that would be nice x3.
    I swear, if the CE comes with a sweet ass statue and watermarked map of Tyria (similar to Skyrim's CE) then I'm going to beat my face in for not pre-ordering it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    I swear, if the CE comes with a sweet ass statue and watermarked map of Tyria (similar to Skyrim's CE) then I'm going to beat my face in for not pre-ordering it.
    I have not seen anywhere that you can even preorder the CE, though when i do find out i will be there asap.

Quote Originally Posted by Gisei View Post
    If pre-orders do allow one to play earlier than release, I'll have to break my no pre-ordering rule.
    lol I've had GW2 pre-ordered since 2008 >.<

OT: I highly doubt it. Arena Net is a company that truly wants all their players to be on equal playing fields. I'm sure they wouldn't open the world up to select people earlier than others. I could be wrong though, I have no idea. That's just my guess.

And like Cuchuliann said, I've waited this long I can wait a few more days. More time to get my 50/50 (9 more points!!) before I play :]

---------- Post added 2012-02-11 at 08:10 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Anthoren View Post
    I have not seen anywhere that you can even preorder the CE, though when i do find out i will be there asap.
    CE hasn't even been announced yet. When it is, I will upgrade my pre-order in a heart beat.

a staggered headstart is a mixed bag. On the one hand it helps keep the servers from being totaly pounded the moment they open the floodgates. This can lead to a smoother launch and happier customers. On the other hand a staggered headstart makes the firstcomers very happy and everybody else ready to spit nails. As exibit A I present the SWTOR forums during the first day or so of head start. Lots of folks that preordered late were trying to bring down the roof because they were not let in soon enough.

GW1 didnt have much of an issue with server loads and crowding in the same way other MMO's did just cause of the way it was designed. you literally couldnt get too many players in 1 spot as past a threshold it would just spawn a new instance of a city/outpost and the rest of the world was instanced anyway. GW2 on the other hand does have to deal with potential overcrowding so a staggered launch does make technical sense but from a PR standpoint your kinda damned if you do screwed if you dont so who knows what way they'll go.

Who is John Galt?

15+ Year Old Account
    Staggered head start, while good for the servers, was horrible on the people involved. I hated it, many people did. I will resent EA/BW for that. I don't care if it evened out some servers, others it made worse.

As exibit A I present the SWTOR forums during the first day or so of head start. Lots of folks that preordered late were trying to bring down the roof because they were not let in soon enough.
    Yea, but those people were stupid. Bioware clearly said EGA was gonna be based on the time you pre-ordered.

EGA went off without a hitch in Rift. With the exception of 1st day queue times, Rift had a flawless launch.

So it can be done smoothly if A. company is prepared, B. people aren't idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Yea, but those people were stupid. Bioware clearly said EGA was gonna be based on the time you pre-ordered.

EGA went off without a hitch in Rift. With the exception of 1st day queue times, Rift had a flawless launch.

ya good luck with B... I agree with ya but there will always be morons and they tend to be the loudest bunch in any crowd. Personaly I was watchin TOR's launch and laughing my ass off. So many folks with entitlement issues and no forethought crying that they didnt get their way. Wasnt even planing to get the game although I did finaly break down and get it a month ago when my WOW raid fully died. It's a fun enough passtime while waiting for GW2.

Who is John Galt?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

Actually at my work we treat people like retards - in a good sense :P, we provide software with dumbed down optional interface. Never ever expect of anyone to grasp anything, everything has to be idiot-proof. So it was Bioware's fault for setting up not clear enough EGA rules.

Unfortunately statistics are brutal, majority of people is.. pretty slow to say the least :P. No reading comprehension whatsoever, total ignorance of instructions and worst of all: they feel they're entitled to everything...

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like a staggered launch but throughout one day, not over a week like SW:TOR. All in all though I'm just waiting for the CE to be announced so I can pre-order it.