Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What was/is with all the Skyrim hype?

This is my first complaint and it happened once I gained control of my character. The field of view was absolutely horrific. The controls were made with a keyboard/mouse as an afterthought. The UI was clunky and reminded me of NES Final Fantasy games. I knew I was playing a terrible console port immediately and I had to delve into the world of .inis, console and mods from the start. A little over an hour later, I finally get to take my first steps in the game. I'm happy I didn't shell out the $60 for it.

Is that all? No, ~15 hours after that, I was done with the game. It shocked me how boring and easy it was. The only thing "difficult" about the entire game was waiting for a dragon to land so I could melee it (DW warrior). I figured I would give the game another go on Master as my first play through was on Adept and I went as a Destruction Mage. After the first dragon fight (which took almost as long as on my Warrior) I decided to craft and get the mana cost reduction since 70-80% of my time fighting was spenting waiting for my mana to regen. 15 levels and a couple hours later, I've grinded a boring as hell profession. Now it's time to get going. Unfortunately, Destruction is complete shit and even a max rank, dual cast spell does less damage than a trash drop sword I had when I duel wielded on my first character. So, I picked up some armor and went DW again. I played through the game and the total playtime for my Master play through was ~25 hours, including all the time spent grinding Enchanting and getting the shit kicked out of me the first hour of playing after switching from mage to melee. Also, as a note, by grinding Enchanting I don't mean I leveled Alchemy, chugged enchanting pots, enchanted Alch bonus, chugged enchanting pots, repeated til infinity. I mean I leveled Enchanting to 100 to get I think 23% reduction on 4 pieces of gear.

Just to make it clear, I was still not impressed with the game. I decided to give it one more go through and do the side quests. I could not even be bothered with it after making it to the Companions. Side quests does not a game make. I think I would have enjoyed the game more if they got rid of the dragon storyline and just did all side quests, the game would have felt more honest to me.

A developer must have been shitfaced when they thought the "radiant" quest idea was good. Go kill X at Y. HOW INGENIOUS THAT IT IS A DIFFERENT VARIABLE EACH TIME! That idea must have taken them all of 2 minutes to come up with and it's just sickening that this is what's passed off as quality content these days. It's artificial replay value. "Different game, EVERYTIME!" Well no, sorry. Same game every time, just a different order/location. It doesn't matter if I have to kill a Giant east of Ivarstead or south of Solitude, I'm still just kill a giant. It reminds me of my ex who would cook chick 5 days a week, but it was cooked differently every night so it wasn't "eating chicken every night". It doesn't matter if it's a BBQ chicken wing or a lemon peppered breast, it's still the same SHIT.

Troll. Snow troll. Bear. Cave bear. Dirty religious zealots. Undead. Grats, that's everything you will kill in the game. Aside from that and the main story being abysmally short, it also lacked a lot of depth. You are some guy who was sneaking across a border or trying to steal something? Oh shit you can absorb dragon souls. Oh shit, you have to kill all the dragons. Oh shit time travel dragon? Oh you killed the dragon with the help of ghost warriors. Time to go back to town and be paraded around as a hero. Wait, no one knows you did anything? Well, shit. The few side quests I did weren't impressive either. Go get a mammoth tusk for this chick. Oh, good thing that vendor in the building 13ft away had one. Fist fight this guy cause he's talking mad shit. The only side quest that was remotely entertaining that I came across was the one with the daedric guy Sanguine and to be fair, it was only fun because it the guy himself and the fact it didn't send me to go kill a giant at a random camp.
    I don't care if WoW steals ideas from another game. I just wish they'd steal aoe looting.

You can fix the field of vision with a console command.

Quote Originally Posted by Corysi View Post
    No, ~15 hours after that, I was done with the game. It shocked me how boring and easy it was.
    By done with the game did you mean so bored you had to quit or actually completed the game? If the latter there is no way you finished the game in 15 hours, if the prior then eh the TES series isn't for everyone, I for one love the games and how much there is to do inside it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight View Post
    By done with the game did you mean so bored you had to quit or actually completed the game? If the latter there is no way you finished the game in 15 hours, if the prior then eh the TES series isn't for everyone, I for one love the games and how much there is to do inside it.
    On Adept you can easily finish the main story in 15 hours. Pretty sure I could bang it out in < 10 if I did it on the easiest difficulty.
    I don't care if WoW steals ideas from another game. I just wish they'd steal aoe looting.

10+ Year Old Account
    were you playing the same game i was?
    dictated but not read.

lol? welcome to the world of gaming? anywhere you go is gonna have quests that are just "go to x kill y, repeat"

Skyrim is an amazing game because the way you can customize your character and change the way you play. The graphics are amazing, and to say "yep i beat it in 15 hours" grats man you did the main story line but there are so many other things to do just have fun with it. And no its not a game like WoW where you can always go back and keep finding a reason to play, but it was definitly worth the experience for how many hours i got out of it.

don't like the game don't play it, simple.

>>Worst game ever
    >>Played it three times
    >>Accidentally reveals
    >>personal relationship problems

Ok, thanks for your input. Sadly (for you) the rest of the world liked it. Just because YOUR opinion is different, doesn't mean that the game is shit.

Also, sorry, but you got the game COMPLETELY wrong. It is not meant to be played like COD (i bet you think COD 17 is the best gam ever).

Quote Originally Posted by Corysi View Post
    On Adept you can easily finish the main story in 15 hours. Pretty sure I could bang it out in < 10 if I did it on the easiest difficulty.
    So you didn't finish the game, gotcha.

You finished the main story? And thats the only thing you had left to do? Like really? There is literally a ton of things to do outside the main story, the fact that you just gave up doesnt make the game crap. Im on about 80 hours played so far and I've yet to run out of things to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dalaran, hiding whoopie cushions under Rhonin's chair.
    Did you try Sheogorath's quests? Those ones, although short, are AMAZING. That, and the Daedra himself is just a total goofball. Love him.

I'm not sure if we played the same game...
    Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and for thy possession, the ends of the earth. Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron. Thou shalt dash them in pieces, like a potter's vessel. Be wise now therefore ye kings. Be admonished ye judges of the earth. Serve the lord with fear, and rejoice with trembling. Kiss the son lest he be angry, and ye perish in the way, though his wrath be kindled but a little.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm finding similar things with Skyrim. I've had the game 3 days now and I get bored after about 20 or so minuets of playing each session. The story is alright, but the fighting is rather boring. I end up doing the same thing over, and over and over and over... I like exploring the world enough, but I guess hack n' slash games aren't my thing.

I'm going to keep playing to get my money's worth, and for the story. But past that, I don't think (for me) Skyrim will have any replay value.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

And yet it seems you played the shit out of this game. If it was so lame and boring why did you waste at least 40 hour of your life playing it?

Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    You finished the main story? And thats the only thing you had left to do? Like really? There is literally a ton of things to do outside the main story, the fact that you just gave up doesnt make the game crap. Im on about 80 hours played so far and I've yet to run out of things to do.
    I'm at 240 hours played and there's still plenty I haven't done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, Bethesda games aren't for everyone. As to most of your complaints, welcome to Bethesda games lol.

I have a firm belief that they intentionally release shitty games so they can save on the budget, and just let the community fix everything up. Hence the reason most of their games in the past ~10 years have been moddable lol. Don't believe me? Go to ANY of the 'nexus' websites (Skyrimnexus, TESNexus, etc) go to the search bar, and type in 'fix'. Lol, you'd be surprised how many hits you get!

One of your other issues is, you obviously play to BEAT a game. Skyrim, actually, ALL TES games, are about the journey, not the destination. As you said, it didn't take you long to beat the main storyline. That's because the meat and potatoes of the game is the REST of the game. The shitty sidequests as you put it. I'm almost 220 hours into my first character, and I've barely advanced the main storyline much past killing that first dragon. I'll get into the game, and just wander around. Kill some mobs, do some quests, fuck around with some dragons (It's fun kiting them into outdoor towns :-P) and in general, just 'live' the game. This is what has always been the allure to TES games; they're open world, non-linear, and you can go do whatever the hell you want.

Yes, magic in this game is almost to the point of being completely useless without any sort of mods. That's because magic in Morrowind and Oblivion was so overpoweringly broken, they decided to tone it down in this. Unfortunately, I think they OVERtoned it. You can get enchants and perks that increase the damage of your one-handed, two-handed and archery attacks 10 fold, but all you can do for magic is reduce the cost and give yourself something like a 25% damage increase. Laaaaaame. I was totally looking forward to going caster in this, too ><
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

A) You've obviously never played an NES Final Fantasy game.

B) Field of View is a preference.

C) So is the UI. Play it with a controller, works fine.

D) Yes, most of the random quests are boring. Good thing there's ~50-60 hours of non-random, actually interesting quests.

E) All games are horrible when you do nothing but search for weak points.

F) Hard difficulty is hard and needs a lot of grinding? Jesus Christ, alert the presses!

Yep, that about sums it up. Can't see the forest for the trees. Your opinion is not well informed enough.

No, sorry I didn't do all the unimportant side quests. I already play a game where I join multiple guilds, get a bunch of gear and then leave. It's called WoW, perhaps you've heard of it? I was under the impression that the game was about dragons, not a ~10 hours quest involving dragons, where you might actually only have to kill what, 5? to progress and end the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion Ramza Beoulve View Post
    >>Worst game ever
    >>Played it three times
    >>Accidentally reveals
    >>personal relationship problems
    ^^This is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    A) You've obviously never played an NES Final Fantasy game.

B) Field of View is a preference.

C) So is the UI. Play it with a controller, works fine.

D) Yes, most of the random quests are boring. Good thing there's ~50-60 hours of non-random, actually interesting quests.

E) All games are horrible when you do nothing but search for weak points.

F) Hard difficulty is hard and needs a lot of grinding? Jesus Christ, alert the presses!

Yep, that about sums it up. Can't see the forest for the trees. Your opinion is not well informed enough.
    The only grinding I did on Master was my Enchanting and leveling melee weapons when I gave up on the shit destruction damage.

---------- Post added 2012-02-11 at 12:26 AM ----------

Btw, everyone not replying to the question asked in the title is asked to kindly leave or participate in the thread properly, those who haven't are getting reported. Thanks!

15+ Year Old Account
    A number of the complaints you made are valid and it is a shame that Bethesda put so little effort into the PC version when they clearly care about the PC audience (hence the steam workshop). I played Skyrim for 80 hours but I have to say that the enjoyment wasn't equal throughout. Unlike Morrowind or even Oblivion, the environment and setting of Skyrim just didn't grab me. After such a long time since Oblivion you would also expect some actual gameplay improvements as well; unfortunately, Bethesda seemed to focus their sole attention on creating their "world". Whilst creating this world they seem to have forgot to actually include any sort of advancement of the world that you are actually in. Your place in the world stays the same, as do the characters and the locations. Nothing changes. You get a greater sense of change in World of Warcraft through the use of phasing, which is a bit ridiculous considering that WoW is multiplayer while Skyrim is singleplayer. Unfortunately for you, and perhaps me, any sort of dissent towards Skyrim will be descended upon by fanatics almost immediately. It's a shame there can't be intelligent discussions on matters of opinion.