Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

Elemental leveling in cloth heirlooms?

I started leveling a Elemental Shammy and have cloth (head, shoulders, back, chest, and Dignified Headmaster's Charge) BoAs I've accumulated over time. I haven't had any problems so far (most things are dead before they reach me), but am I going to run into problems with this later on?

not really. leveling is a joke.. but i would try to transition into mail gear at level 80... the exp bonus is nice but not really necessary.

Honestly pre-85 the bonus from wearing mail isn't going to make much of a difference. Some people might annoy you about it, but if you're playing ele right then it shouldn't matter.

key word... heirlooms

15+ Year Old Account
    You're not a tank so armor has no significant effect and is worthless if you don't get hit in the first place. The 5% extra int or whatever it was is also quite pointless until later levels. Cloth'll do. =) But I /point and /laugh everytime I see a tank in cloth heirlooms.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

15+ Year Old Account
    If you throw a heal on yourself from time to time you should have no problems at all.

But if you manage to pull 5 mobs just run away or die fast and run back.

You could also try to carry a 1h/shield combo in your bags to switch to if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    I started leveling a Elemental Shammy and have cloth (head, shoulders, back, chest, and Dignified Headmaster's Charge) BoAs I've accumulated over time. I haven't had any problems so far (most things are dead before they reach me), but am I going to run into problems with this later on?
    The only problem you'll run into is when you hit 80 and move into Cata content, because the items are considered item-level 1 and therefore your "average item level", which is required to be around 280 in order to do a random dungeon, is going to be completely and totally tanked until you start getting quite a bit of the cata quest gear.

Edit: In addition, the 5% intellect boost you gain from level 50 onward is insignificant in comparison to the extra intellect you'll gain from the heirlooms, until, again, you hit 80 and either get a guild to carry you through ICC25H for free levelling gear or stack Cata gear.
    Last edited by Xiar; 2012-02-10 at 03:08 AM.

elemental can kite things forever anyway, if u cant kite it and it kills you, it'll probably kill you wearing mail or cloth.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiar View Post
    The only problem you'll run into is when you hit 80 and move into Cata content, because the items are considered item-level 1 and therefore your "average item level", which is required to be around 280 in order to do a random dungeon, is going to be completely and totally tanked until you start getting quite a bit of the cata quest gear.

Edit: In addition, the 5% intellect boost you gain from level 50 onward is insignificant in comparison to the extra intellect you'll gain from the heirlooms, until, again, you hit 80 and either get a guild to carry you through ICC25H for free levelling gear or stack Cata gear.
    Most of the gear tops out at level 80 anyway and is really far behind Cata greens you get...just the back piece and the helm level all the way to 85 so I'll be transitioning out of all of it by the time I'm halfway through Vash or Hyjal.

Thanks all for the info. Been having a blast so far.

You could probably level to at least 80 completely naked without any serious issues.

Well, it'd be a bit chilly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    You could probably level to at least 80 completely naked without any serious issues.

Make sure that you quest in the Searing Gorge and the Burning Steepes and then you won't have that problem, kind of stuck when you have to go to Northrend though!

But really, you'll be fine. Sure, you have slightly less armor. Sure, you don't get the 5% int from wearing all mail, but it doesn't matter at all, really.

Deleted
    Youll be fine in the cloth to be honest until like lvl 80 as others have pointed out.
    The one that reallllly winds me up personally, are the pally/warrior tanks in full dreadmist heirlooms - complete with the int/spirit mace (The warrior with the mace I believe). Ive seen it twice today in scholomance :S

I've done this before, doesnt really matter until the 80-85 leveling bracket. If I was you I'd just continue using the cloth rather than have to grind for the mail ones.

Just go with the cloth: half your armor is from the shield anyway, and having cloth in two slots shouldn't make any difference. The specialization bonus is fairly useless before 85 anyway. Note that after level 80 only the cloak and hat will grant any bonus XP.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiar View Post
    Your item level is based on the items you have in your bags too, so just keep some stuff around. It doesn't even have to be mail - just save the highest item level cloth, leather or mail item for each slot. This is something you generally want to do anyway, so it's not heirloom-specific. The same "trick" works for getting into anything from heroics to LFR.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

Nope, that's perfectly fine all the way. Just don't forget that most stop growing over 80 and replace them with normal gear.

---------- Post added 2012-02-10 at 01:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post

I think there is a high probability that people have done that already.
    And with no quests.
    And not dying even once.

Quote Originally Posted by Weerra View Post
    And with no quests.
    And not dying even once.
    It's been done with a mage that I know of. It's probably been done with every class by now. Back when LFD was first added in WotLK I leveled a paladin from 1 to 80 without ever leaving Eversong Woods or doing any quests (except the quest to learn to resurrect, as not being able to rez in instances would have been too annoying). Leveling isn't exactly difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Weerra View Post
    Nope, that's perfectly fine all the way. Just don't forget that most stop growing over 80 and replace them with normal gear.

---------- Post added 2012-02-10 at 01:58 PM ----------

And with no quests.
    And not dying even once.
    There have definitely been players leveling to 85 without doing any quests and/or without dying once. Naked though I'm not so sure. I do know there was a guy that leveled without ever learning new skills. Whatever he had at level 1 was what he had when he hit 85.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahdik View Post
    There have definitely been players leveling to 85 without doing any quests and/or without dying once. Naked though I'm not so sure. I do know there was a guy that leveled without ever learning new skills. Whatever he had at level 1 was what he had when he hit 85.
    Naked leveling isn't in any way hard, just time-consuming. Play any class that can kite and just grind mobs that don't do anything fancy. Considering that you won't ever take any damage and can hit 85 from killing Northrend mobs, there's no actual challenge to it. It just takes time.

I leveled as echance with my cloth heirlooms didnt matter the xp bonus was too great to ignore

Can't really say anything..everything was covered.