Thread: Run 3 miles

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    If you can avoid concrete or pavement do so, and then ice your joints afterwords. It may seem tedious, but seriously it helps.

You can run as much as you want, but if you dont eat right you wont see a slightest change in your body

[QUOTE=MkX;15438445]
    Always excercise,and burn more than your intake

[/QUOTE

Not quite, you need more to recoup, and it is inportant that if you are going to train (atleast more than once) you need carbs in order to have enough juice to be ready for the next exercise

15+ Year Old Account
    Moved to sports & fitness forum.

10+ Year Old Account
    don't forget to stretch, i would advise against running 3 miles, i would walk like 10

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atsuma6626 View Post
    IF I ran 3 miles a day, after having been competly indoors for the past 3 years, what would I notice change about my body?

will I lose muscle mass? Would I lose lbs? Would I be more alert?
    You must start off slow! JUST basing off the fact that you've been inside for 3 years and wanting to go run 3 miles is well a great confidence booster but will not likely happen =/

I don't know your diet but if it's no where near to eating 6 meals a day then yes you will lose muscle mass and will NOT gain muscle in your legs. For one to actually notice gains in your calves/hamstrings you must run everyday or at least 5 times a week to see improvement and have a very somewhat strict diet. What you put in your body is the results you are going to get! Feed it veggies, carbs, meats, cheeses and stay away from soda and processed foods!

-ALWAYS be sipping on water throughout the day, from the moment you wake up to the moment your head rest's on that pillow!
    -I know as a gamer it will be hard to get a good night's sleep but try to aim for 7-8 hours a night!

Start out slow at a walk/jog pace just for your heart to get used to running again and go for about a mile then jog back. And to the people stating "Don't eat after
    this hour" just remember your body doesn't know what time it is, we use an internal clock so you may eat close to going to bed especially pasta/cottage cheese so your stomach is not growling during the night and it feeds your muscle while your sleeping!

Hope any of this was helpful to you and the most important advice I can give to you is: DON'T QUIT and be PERSISTENT everyday! You will notice a change in yourself!
    Last edited by savethetuna; 2012-02-11 at 11:30 PM.
    Stationed at McGuire, AFB.
    PC Specs: i5-3570K, GTX 690, Gigabyte UD5H, Corsair Vengeance 8GB, Corsair AX750, H100i, Phantom 630 case, Asus VH236H

10+ Year Old Account
    You can get back into running VERY quickly, i used to run around some fields by my house (almost 2 miles) and could do it without stopping, but after doing nothing for months i could barely make it past the first field, after 1 week of running everyday however i could almost run the whole thing again without stopping. You notice results in your breathing and recovery time extremely quick, body changes and fat loss however take a bit of time. I plan to start running again real soon when the weather stops being freezing :<

To the person who said running outside is better than a treadmill, i can do nothing but agree from my personal experience, it seems that running outside is a lot better for increasing your fitness (due to weather or external factors i dont know) and the fresh air will also do you good. I find i get more pumped when i run outside as well :P stick some music on with your earphones and get running, feels awesome when you finish.

I'd check the "couch to 5K" (or I guess "couch to 5 miles") programme that's around the web, it's pretty good for getting people into running.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    If you need some extra juice to get you going, I recommend Animal Rage or Jack3d, also purchasable from bodybuilding.com.
    I wouldn't recommend taking Jack3d before running if you've never taken it before. It will make you super jittery and send your heart rate through the roof the first few times you use it, and it's a lot better for lifting than cardio imo. If you need a little boost just stick to coffee an hour or so before you run imo.

Deleted
    Excellent advise has already been given in this thread.

Additionally, I recommend a training program like "0 to 5k" or something, there are many of them available on the internet. Make sure they start with walk/run programs (like walk 1 min, run 1 min etc).

I did track and field and cross country when I was 10-13 years old, then didn't do anything for 8 years and started again, ended up being chronically insured on my shins (shin splint) because I did way too much when I started again.

I also recommend you other activities, like swimming or cycling.

Quote Originally Posted by Lecktor View Post
    I wouldn't recommend taking Jack3d before running if you've never taken it before. It will make you super jittery and send your heart rate through the roof the first few times you use it, and it's a lot better for lifting than cardio imo. If you need a little boost just stick to coffee an hour or so before you run imo.
    That stuff is crazy!

IF I ran 3 miles a day, after having been competly indoors for the past 3 years, what would I notice change about my body?

You likely wont be running 3 miles right off the bat if you're not in decent shape. Run as long as you can and walk as little as you can and you'll work up to it.
    ಠ_ಠ

There won't be much of a change in your body for a very good reason: running is an all-body sport. Your lower half is used to move, your mid section is strained to keep you upright, and your upper half strains to maintain your balance - essentially you work out your whole body.

BUT - you're not going to notice much of a change simply because you aren't focusing on any one part, so your whole body will be adjusting. Your legs might get a bit thinner, you might lose some of the tire rolls, and your m00bs (if you're a dood) will shrink.

That being said, most of the fat you burn is going to be replaced with muscle so your body shape isn't going to be going through any major changes, shape-wise. That being said, exercising comes in to forms. Take curls for example - you can do them slow and few and really beef up the muscle with resistance training, or you can do many reps quickly and burn the fat without increasing size. The latter is what running does.

You won't lose muscle mass, you'll just replace your fat with muscle. Since muscle is heavier, you won't lose weight, and you might gain a little provided your protein intake is enough to satisfy your body.

You'll definitely be more alert, but that will result of you doing physical activity. Basically, when you live an active life, your metabolism works faster so you burn more food/fat to provide energy to your body at a faster rate. You'll notice that you'll feel a bit like you're on a sugar rush more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Totle View Post
    There won't be much of a change in your body for a very good reason: running is an all-body sport. Your lower half is used to move, your mid section is strained to keep you upright, and your upper half strains to maintain your balance - essentially you work out your whole body.

BUT - you're not going to notice much of a change simply because you aren't focusing on any one part, so your whole body will be adjusting. Your legs might get a bit thinner, you might lose some of the tire rolls, and your m00bs (if you're a dood) will shrink.

That being said, most of the fat you burn is going to be replaced with muscle so your body shape isn't going to be going through any major changes, shape-wise. That being said, exercising comes in to forms. Take curls for example - you can do them slow and few and really beef up the muscle with resistance training, or you can do many reps quickly and burn the fat without increasing size. The latter is what running does.

You won't lose muscle mass, you'll just replace your fat with muscle. Since muscle is heavier, you won't lose weight, and you might gain a little provided your protein intake is enough to satisfy your body.

You'll definitely be more alert, but that will result of you doing physical activity. Basically, when you live an active life, your metabolism works faster so you burn more food/fat to provide energy to your body at a faster rate. You'll notice that you'll feel a bit like you're on a sugar rush more often.
    This is the part that gets me. You won't gain muscle nearly as fast as you lose fat unless you're a steroid-chugging monstrosity. You can easily burn a pound of fat a week, but you will never, ever gain a pound of muscle in a week.

Deleted
    How does one run 3 miles in a row(like 5 kilometres or what? dont know miles..:P) if he/she has been indoors for 3 years? I mean I suppose this means playing computer games, eating a lot of crap and so on?