Page 1 of 2
LastLast

MMOs in general has become boring?

Hello community

Lately I've found WoW extremely boring. There is no "epic" thrill in the game anymore.
    Then I seeked out other MMOs and (after having played alot of MMOs) I came across SW:TOR.
    Great game. It only had minor issues and everything about it is fresh and new....

...But I still miss the "epic feeling."
    I remember back in the vanilla/tbc days I could sit 24 hours straight playing WoW. With any other MMO (including WoW) today, you can sit for maybe 2-3 hours before switching to another game.

I can't put my finger on what's missing. It's been bothering me for months now. I wish anyone had an idea what it could be which is missing. Why aint it epic anymore? I thought about WoW "hmm... maybe it's because I've seen all the worlds, content etc." but when I play new MMOs with new worlds I still don't feel the thrill of exploring and stuff.
    The conclusion which has passed through my mind is that the MMO genre has it's days.

I mean since WoW came about, alot of game companies has been rushing out with new MMOs. We've seen so much lately from the MMO genre compared to for example RTS.

Note that this aint a flaming/trolling/II'mGonnaCancelMySub/XXXIsTooOP - thread.

Does anyone else feel the same?

Thanks alot for reading

Regards

PS: sorry for my grammar and spelling errors. I know I suck at english. (like in the title)

You can't get the fresh feeling in a game you have been playing for multiple years.

Do heroics or PvP (even if you don't normally) with friends, not for the loot or kills etc. - but for the company and the laughs. Most people are saying the content is lacking, but the content has ALWAYS been lacking, it's what you do with said content imo.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2012-02-11 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    You can't get the fresh feeling in a game you have been playing for multiple years.
    Hello

Sorry I think you misunderstood. I'm talking about the general MMO genre. Not a specific game

Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post

Do heroics or PvP (even if you don't normally) with friends, not for the loot or kills etc. - but for the company and the laughs.
    This exactly. MMO's just aren't new, so they don't produce that feeling anymore.
    Shuttle of Illidan

Quote Originally Posted by Andjalis View Post
    Hello

Sorry I think you misunderstood. I'm talking about the general MMO genre. Not a specific game
    All MMOs are the same with different lore/background when you think of it. It's the people what generally make the game.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'll go with the fact that every MMO tries to use the same genre with the same classes of rogue warrior and wizards and don't try to think outside the box because it won't catch the eye of other people playing an MMO with a higher subscription base. If it looks new and promising, it'll catch more eyes than something that looks like "WoW with better graphics".

10+ Year Old Account
    It isn't that mmo's have become a boring thing. Its just that YOUR bored with them.

And because there are a lot of longtime players who have played the same mmo's as you for all those same years, they are thinking the same thing as you the same time.

I think there just has been a severe lack of innovation in the genre. Even Swtor with its epic story isn't all that much different than your standard run of the mill mmo, it improves a lot of things but not by enough.

Im interested to see what GW2 has to offer seeing as how its bringing the MMO arena to a B2P model (like every game that isn't an mmo), but most of my attention this year will probably go to D3, SC2 xpack, and what valve has to offer.

The problem is two-fold. First, customers and subscribers are at fault for letting developers off the hook with the lack of innovative gameplay. Wow has 10 million something subscribers and look at the subpar quality they can get away with. Swtor has 2 million and except for the quest speeches, it's all kill x and loot y over and over. Rift is reporting success and their pve content, minus the rift bosses, is nothing revolutionary.

Yes, developers are to blame but "you" are letting them off th hook.

people need to stop buying and stop paying for the crap they keep putting out, do you really think MOP will be oh so awesome? nope it will be the same exact game and everyone will be bored of it within a month or less, we need to do a occupy blizzard parking lot till they can dish out something new

Hello

Treelifes point still stands, you play any game/genre everyday for a few years and you're bound to get bored of it. Go take a break from the genre for a few months, go play some platformer or FPS game(hell take a break from all Video games) for a while then come back to the MMO/RPG scene and see if you enjoy it again.
    Last edited by Dedweight; 2012-02-12 at 07:28 AM.

games are being made better, but not in the sense of a better quality, but in terms of their monetization.

Quote Originally Posted by wildemu View Post
    The problem is two-fold. First, customers and subscribers are at fault for letting developers off the hook with the lack of innovative gameplay. Wow has 10 million something subscribers and look at the subpar quality they can get away with. Swtor has 2 million and except for the quest speeches, it's all kill x and loot y over and over. Rift is reporting success and their pve content, minus the rift bosses, is nothing revolutionary.

Yes, developers are to blame but "you" are letting them off th hook.
    I disagree on SWTOR--have you even played it? One quest, as an example, has you spy on a couple fellow Jedi. You find out they're involved in a romantic relationship--you can either blackmail them, turn them into to the masters or help them hide it. Another quest, as a bounty hunter, has you track down a dad who's taken his kid from his mom. He doesn't want the kid sent to Sith training, believing it would kill him. You can either let him go, force him to outbid his wife or kill him. SWTOR has TONS of these type of RPG quest--I could list dozens and dozens.

To say that ALL it has is kill/loot quests is just outright wrong... amazingly wrong (most kill X quests are optional "bonus" quests actually). SWTOR might not be your thing, but there's no reason to skew the facts.

To answer the OP: I think SWTOR has taken a pretty big step toward Mass Effect style gameplay. That might be appeal to some, not to others--but regardless, it is different compared to other MMOs.
    Last edited by Odyssasthai; 2012-02-12 at 07:45 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hello

Im feeling the same, i barely log on to wow any more, i played Rift at launch and enjoyed it for the free month but didn't re-sub because the game didn't "grab" me, Im planning on playing GW2 when it comes out, so far it looks to be new and exciting but i wont know how i feel about them until i play them.

You are just burned on the mmo genre. Not much you can other than take a break from them all together. Go play some fps or skyrim. It helps. I have a feelin the mmo market will be pretty bland until Titan, even then it's still to early to tell. Gw2 might shake things up a bit. It will get you out of the trinity and dungeon grinds. IMO go find you a good multiplayer game that not an mmo for a few months. Then try to get into gw2 when your completely fresh and expectations are lowered.

Hello community

Lately I've found WoW extremely boring. There is no "epic" thrill in the game anymore.
    Then I seeked out other MMOs and (after having played alot of MMOs) I came across SW:TOR.
    Great game. It only had minor issues and everything about it is fresh and new....

I think the problem is they offer escapism and this fantasy world where you can do and be what you want to be, and people sign on to try to cheat the system and exploit the game and make racist and offensive comments, dance in the nude, ETC ETC. but now its turned into a business and they want to increase the subs to as large segment of the population as possible and so they are censoring and cracking down anything and any type of behavior thats not PG.

By doing so the MMO games have become extremely tame, its like eating Vanilla ice cream everyday.

Its just not for me either anymore.

Hello community

...But I still miss the "epic feeling."
    I remember back in the vanilla/tbc days I could sit 24 hours straight playing WoW. With any other MMO (including WoW) today, you can sit for maybe 2-3 hours before switching to another game.

I can't put my finger on what's missing. It's been bothering me for months now. I wish anyone had an idea what it could be which is missing. Why aint it epic anymore? I thought about WoW "hmm... maybe it's because I've seen all the worlds, content etc." but when I play new MMOs with new worlds I still don't feel the thrill of exploring and stuff.
    The conclusion which has passed through my mind is that the MMO genre has it's days.

I mean since WoW came about, alot of game companies has been rushing out with new MMOs. We've seen so much lately from the MMO genre compared to for example RTS.

Note that this aint a flaming/trolling/II'mGonnaCancelMySub/XXXIsTooOP - thread.

Does anyone else feel the same?

Thanks alot for reading

Regards

PS: sorry for my grammar and spelling errors. I know I suck at english. (like in the title)
    I don't think the epicness was lost with time. I think the epicness was lost with size. I think when raids went from 40 man to 25/10 man things became a whole lot less epic.

What they could do in MoP if they wanted to restore epicness would be making the raid sizes 10, 20, and 40-Man. 10/20-mans would share the same raid instances but 40-mans would have their own seperate raids with larger bosses like dragons. Deathwing is an example of something that should be a 40man imo.

It would be cool if we had like a big 40man dragon raid and a swipe would send people flyin across the rooms etc and require a lot of movmenet and whatnot. They don't need to be extremely hard but that feeling of man, it took us 40 guys to kill this dude would add a little more epicness back into things, imo at leasst.

Quote Originally Posted by fwc577 View Post
    I don't think the epicness was lost with time. I think the epicness was lost with size. I think when raids went from 40 man to 25/10 man things became a whole lot less epic.

What they could do in MoP if they wanted to restore epicness would be making the raid sizes 10, 20, and 40-Man. 10/20-mans would share the same raid instances but 40-mans would have their own seperate raids with larger bosses like dragons. Deathwing is an example of something that should be a 40man imo.

It would be cool if we had like a big 40man dragon raid and a swipe would send people flyin across the rooms etc and require a lot of movmenet and whatnot. They don't need to be extremely hard but that feeling of man, it took us 40 guys to kill this dude would add a little more epicness back into things, imo at leasst.
    are you talking about onyxia?

i don't disagree with you, however this is not the direction any game company is willing to take at the moment.

Deleted
    I'm having trouble playing MMO's these days; I used to be a big fan of themepark gameplay but the shine has worn off. The only attraction they still hold is in the community aspect which has been steadily eroded as people leave for pastures new.

Quote Originally Posted by nogard64 View Post
    I think the problem is they offer escapism and this fantasy world where you can do and be what you want to be, and people sign on to try to cheat the system and exploit the game and make racist and offensive comments, dance in the nude, ETC ETC. but now its turned into a business and they want to increase the subs to as large segment of the population as possible and so they are censoring and cracking down anything and any type of behavior thats not PG.

By doing so the MMO games have become extremely tame, its like eating Vanilla ice cream everyday.

Its just not for me either anymore.
    Pretty much this. I think it's just at a certain point you grow out of them and get bored of it.