Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    I'll go with the fact that every MMO tries to use the same genre with the same classes of rogue warrior and wizards and don't try to think outside the box because it won't catch the eye of other people playing an MMO with a higher subscription base. If it looks new and promising, it'll catch more eyes than something that looks like "WoW with better graphics".
    i will go with this to, i know WoW wasnt the first MMO, but its certainly the biggest and pretty much every mmo after it has just followed the same model and same basic classes and sometimes even same abilities with different names, none of them bring something really new and innovative to the genre, most new mmo's just seem to be "wow with newer graphics" but with less content so people dont stick around. the genre has sort of become stale with nothing new added.

also, what i first loved about the mmo games was the community, but thats mostly gone from wow now anyway, i think the a mix of the game being new to me and the great community was what made vanilla/tbc great for me, you just dont get the same feel 7eyars on when its not all new.

Deleted
    I don't think MMOs are boring but rather that WoW has set so high standarts that all new MMOs
    fail and dissapear in their first 3 months and people are forced to play WoW again.
    Developers haven't come with anything different all these years, all they try is to copy
    WoW, make some stuff different and thus change nothing at all. What they don't know is that
    people are bored from WoW and need something different . In short, new MMOs are copy of a game
    that people had enough and developers don't seem to have the brain to realize it.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have to ask yourself, what is the thing that kept me playing before, but stops to interest me now?

Is it the good lore and questing? Then SWtOR SHOULD have been made for you... So assuming it is not that...

Is it certain friends that you used to play with, that got you all exited and made the game more fun for you, but they might have stopped playing the MMO's you play... Not much you can do about that.

Is it the gameplay that is getting annoying/boring? If you were looking at fresh new gameplay, SWtOR is not really the breath of fresh air you might have been looking for. Both SWtOR and WoW (and Rift for all that matters) had the system: Target something, push button, shiny thing happens, friends/foes gain/lose buffs/HP/MP, and you are either tank/healer/DPS... In this case, I'd recommend looking out for some other games... For example Guild Wars 2, they are going to remove the whole tank/healer/DPS stuff from their game. Now that is new in gameplay. Or, games with a combat system like Tera (much the same as Vindictus and Dragon Nest, but those games are fully instanced, and not open world), which totally removes the "target something" part, and instead everything you do becomes a bit of skill based. (no X% hit/miss chance, but perhaps more attackspeed so that it is easier to land a hit, although a very very skilled player would always manage to hit, and a very very bad player would rarely hit).

And perhaps there's a different kind of problem you have with MMO's you played. I'd recommend finding out the particular bit you don't like, and seeing if you can find a game that suits what you currently miss in MMO's?

Deleted
    My problem is that I have played paper & pencil rpgs before mmos. And guess what? You have limitlessly more things to do in paper & pencil game than in a computer game mmo. So, yes, I am missing things from mmos. A heck of a lot of things.

Sure I have played for years rather mmos than p&p games and I have had a blast. But it doesn't change the fact, that I do miss things, because there really are other things ... things that are not in the mmos. Many times it is hard to find any computer game, that overcomes the appeal gap.

Other thing is that trailers are different than the gameplay. So you might miss the atmosphere of the trailers in the game. I wouldn't like to have cinematic game play in the sense that you don't actually play but watch the game whole time. But the atmosphere of the cinematics should be added to the game too, not as cinematics, but in some other clever way.

Fantasy games are about the characters and stories. GW2 adds story paths for your character, which affects your quests. But I would go even further. You should be able to build a character sheet that has information about your character including pictures, ambient background music, player owned zone props, and stuff.

So you open your character sheet and you can select the atmosphere there. You can also build player owned structures and buildings and things in the long run, and you see them in your character sheet. For example as an elf you have forests, a tree house, decorations etc. Then later you become more powerfull elf and get fancier building ... or you could choose to be an adventurer, but still have zone props in your character sheet. The zone props for adventurer would be sceneries of roads, forests, sun shine through green and bright leaves instead of an elf palace.

The mmos are too much about quests and dungeons. They should add tons more about building the character, the choice of atmosphere of the character, and the props of the character. Even in Wow they have now added these things: Customizing the looks of the gear (transmog), added the thousandth pet to choose from, then pet battles, medals for completing challenges, ... But these are just a scratch of a surface what comes to building character atmosphere. The start screen, where you select which of your characters you play this time, has a scenery for your race, but even that you see only when you log in or change which you play.
    Last edited by mmoc1b96e712e5; 2012-02-12 at 09:56 AM.

They are bringing nothing new to the genre.
    Flashy graphics and enhanced versions of what multiple have done before is the norm, is commonplace.
    Real innovation is lacking, and understandably due to risk.
    Players will still continue to buy into FPS after FPS from the same franchise, even when they offer little or nothing that the previous did not.
    MMO's do exactly the same.

You give players something new and they whine about it, so really is that surprising.
    We got vehicle mechanics in wow, and the community proved itself to be a bunch of whining crybabies when they had a mechanism which was entirely skill based and not based on your inherent advantages vs another.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Pretty much this. I think it's just at a certain point you grow out of them and get bored of it.
    Maybe it is because I'm older but I would really like the games to be more mature and darker.

I would love to see a GTA MMO (I tried APB its decent but its cartoony) I want to play and try out doing darker more evil stuff in a video game. Its escapism, it a release doing things I can't and shouldn't be doing in real life.

Deleted
    I'm not going to read everything here which is probably a bad move on my part but i'm kind of in a hurry, so here goes..:

In my opinion, the MMO-genre is still just as good and fine as before, but there is a minor setback. We were awed by wow years ago because the scale and amount of detail it had was astounding for an mmo. Now you can't really top that so easily. There are some moments that still make you go "hmm impressive" but those first days you played your first "big" mmo and stepped into the biggest city, you thought "OMG THIS IS AMAZING!!"

I was wow'd by vash'jir in this expansion, and i'm hoping there are still some cool new ideas and environments in pandaria.

TL;DR: Game is fine, players' expectations are through the roof.

Deleted
    Go play LoL its hilarious.

Its a combination of theres only some much they can do with "Go click this thing and go over there" The best thing they had was gated content in BC made it so there was always something new to go and click on.

10+ Year Old Account
    MMORPG players are like drug addicts. The first high is always the best. The user keeps on using because they are chasing that first high but in all reality it will never come. Its impossible. Returns actually diminish.

Once you stop chasing that first high you can enjoy the genre.

Most of MMO's have become the same streamlined themepark filled rail-runners with no deviation or real "world" around where everything is just about getting from point A to point B as efficiently as possible and with as little distruptance as possible.

The genre has becomed tasteless, colourless and odorless in it's current iteration apart from very few exceptions that no one usually don't even know about.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Odyssasthai View Post
    I disagree on SWTOR--have you even played it? One quest, as an example, has you spy on a couple fellow Jedi. You find out they're involved in a romantic relationship--you can either blackmail them, turn them into to the masters or help them hide it. Another quest, as a bounty hunter, has you track down a dad who's taken his kid from his mom. He doesn't want the kid sent to Sith training, believing it would kill him. You can either let him go, force him to outbid his wife or kill him. SWTOR has TONS of these type of RPG quest--I could list dozens and dozens.

To say that ALL it has is kill/loot quests is just outright wrong... amazingly wrong (most kill X quests are optional "bonus" quests actually). SWTOR might not be your thing, but there's no reason to skew the facts.

To answer the OP: I think SWTOR has taken a pretty big step toward Mass Effect style gameplay. That might be appeal to some, not to others--but regardless, it is different compared to other MMOs.
    I have played the consular and the marauder. A large majority of those quests are kill, loot, and retrieve quests. Just like in the other mmos, you will have that lone easter egg quest that is different from the other ten just to keep it fresh, but even most of the storyline quests follow the same boring formula.

For instance, every bonus quest in an area is kill, why couldn't it have been an additional objective to spice it up? Because it requires more developer thought and time which they didn't have.

It depends on the game and how long you've been playing it. Most of us here can probably admit to being addicted to WoW at some point or played for some years. You just grow out of it.
    MMOs haven't really been anything new to the table either. It has all become "get from point A to point B." Skelington knows that when he quit WoW it had felt more like a chore to him than something he could immerse himself in like the old days. Seeing new MMOs being released, most of them are of the same model as well, which is discouraging.
    And the community became a dick. Online games seem to have lately become a huge festival of /b/ groupthink, and the one pleasant person gets lost in amorphous blob or quits.