Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Seeing as how the game isn't competitive, what difference would it make if there were? I'm just curious about this line of thinking.
    All I have to say is....
    PVP AIMING TO BE AN ESPORT.

I know you're talking about PvE, but I had to clear that up for you. It would matter in some way because any kind of cash shop advantage effects both sides of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    All I have to say is....
    PVP AIMING TO BE AN ESPORT.

I know you're talking about PvE, but I had to clear that up for you. It would matter in some way because any kind of cash shop advantage effects both sides of the story.
    I ignore like 99% of the PVP stuff. But isn't there upscaling in PVP?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    It's probably also likely that Anet would boost NPCs on lower population servers to push things along more. But that's just speculation ofc.
    why when there is DE scaling?

I ignore like 99% of the PVP stuff. But isn't there upscaling in PVP?
    it would impact WvWvW more than Structured PvP tbh as you actually level in WvWvW even though you do get bolstered and yes there is up-scaling.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    it would impact WvWvW more than Structured PvP tbh as you actually level in WvWvW even though you do get bolstered and yes there is up-scaling.
    Hm. Enlighten me. How would XP boosts in the CS effect WvWvW if players are bolstered regardless of level? Or offered another way, what does the pace at which the other guy reaches 80 matter if bolstering equalizes players?

I don't really pay attention to any PVP news.

why when there is DE scaling?
    By boost I mean generally how proactive NPCs are, not really their strength. One concern for low pop servers could be that areas come to feel static without heavy player involvement. It's not about scaling, it's about events actually being pushed along (or back) without many players being there. With more players around DEs will shift through the chain more quickly, regardless of scaling. I was just speculating on whether low pop realms would see more proactive NPCs so that DEs and areas don't feel static.
    I think I remember reading something about this on a Anet blog, would never be able to track it down though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hm. Enlighten me. How would XP boosts in the CS effect WvWvW if players are bolstered regardless of level? Or offered another way, what does the pace at which the other guy reaches 80 matter if bolstering equalizes players?

I don't really pay attention to any PVP news.
    if you are level 22 and you fight someone who is level 32, you are both bolstered to level 80 but the level 30 player will be slightly better than you at 22 due to stats and attributes that you gain just from leveling as well as gear being better, etc.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

if you are level 22 and you fight someone who is level 32, you are both bolstered to level 80 but the level 30 player will be slightly better than you at 22 due to stats and attributes that you gain just from leveling as well as gear being better, etc.
    Interesting. That's not how I thought PVP would be at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting. That's not how I thought PVP would be at all.
    I'm pretty sure not long ago they were going with no scaling in WvW too, happy they didn't go with that.

Deleted
    WvW and structured PvP are just two very different things. Yes, in WvW you will be upscaled to 80lvl, but only your base stats, naturally someone who has higher level than you will have better items which then translates to small advantage - plus of course, he may have more abilities/weapon to choose from. Gear is normalized only in structured PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Neglesh View Post
    Good method of making money tbh - and quite fair.

I'll be for one buying extra slots if 5 is the cap default.
    Indeed. If you're enjoying the game enough to be wanting more than 5 character slots, you should be willing to support the developer.

Deleted
    Character Slots will probably be 5, so you can see the story from 5 different races. Would be dumb to make 8 character slots default, seeing as there would be little incentive for ppl to buy slots

I hope there will be enogh player that i meet some 1 in every corner

Let's just hope that they don't make the same error as Warhammer (too much servers at the beginning so the community was scattered). Public quests were undoable.

They just need to watch their servers closely at the launch. Too much choice at the beginning can be really harmful for the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Morogoth View Post
    Let's just hope that they don't make the same error as Warhammer (too much servers at the beginning so the community was scattered). Public quests were undoable.

They just need to watch their servers closely at the launch. Too much choice at the beginning can be really harmful for the community.
    The reason they were undoable was because they didn't scale and the fact that Scenarios were the fastest way to level compounded the issue even further. All non elite DEs can be done with a single person and for elite DEs you'll need about 10 people at a minimum to do it. Even if you're on the lowest pop server in the entire game, you can bet people will come running when they find out those elite DEs have started making it a non-issue. Also, from what they've said transferring servers is free and extremely easy to do so you can just leave your server if you're not happy with the population. ANet doesn't seem like the company that will open a ton of servers without letting initial ones fill up first, I've always said that if it were me I'd open up new servers only as needed rather than a ton that spreads people out and have mergers later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    Indeed. If you're enjoying the game enough to be wanting more than 5 character slots, you should be willing to support the developer.
    ^THIS! couldn't have said it any better myself.

Quote Originally Posted by omlech View Post
    Also, from what they've said transferring servers is free and extremely easy to do so you can just leave your server if you're not happy with the population. ANet doesn't seem like the company that will open a ton of servers without letting initial ones fill up first, I've always said that if it were me I'd open up new servers only as needed rather than a ton that spreads people out and have mergers later on.
    That is a really good thing to know. I have a lot of faith for this game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Slightly better is really based on how the two players handle their characters. An advantage in stats (slightly) doesn't mean an advantage in combat. Since we haven't really seen how this works out between two player's who've been playing for a considerable amount of time, then we can't come to a judgement YET. However, I'm putting my money on the idea that it won't effect PvP.

Now my point was if one player has a booster that they bought via Cash Shop, then why would ANet restrict that from ALL modes of game play? They paid for it with real money. The only way I can see them putting restrictions on boosters is if they create disclaimers the player know the limitations of the booster before buying them. That wouldn't be all great though, because it might dissuade people from wanting to use some Cash Shop items.

This is why boosters shouldn't exist in a Cash Shop. Even exp boosters.

They've come out and clearly stated no advantages can be purchased from the cash shop. Obviously it's debatable whether or not something like an XP boost is an advantage, but considering how many people DO think it's an advantage leads me to believe there will be nothing of the sort in the cash shop. I think we can expect character slots, character creation redos, name changes, costumes, maybe the ability to purchase every dye in the game, Transmutation Stones, and possibly more bank slots depending on how the bank/storage is handled. Otherwise I think anything else will be a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by omlech View Post
    They've come out and clearly stated no advantages can be purchased from the cash shop. Obviously it's debatable whether or not something like an XP boost is an advantage, but considering how many people DO think it's an advantage leads me to believe there will be nothing of the sort in the cash shop. I think we can expect character slots, character creation redos, name changes, costumes, maybe the ability to purchase every dye in the game, Transmutation Stones, and possibly more bank slots depending on how the bank/storage is handled. Otherwise I think anything else will be a surprise.
    xp boost is not an advantage, neither is it something you should want to buy in a game that is fun ... if it is in cash shop I will take it as an option for hard working players who between work and family have 3 hours a week to play and need the speed up. For regular players there is no point to it and for hardcore players they can powerlevel regardless.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Dynamic events are only as hard as the number of people doing it. Of course if the people on your server CHOOSE not to do the event, that is your Realms playerbase's problem, and not the game.