Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    I believe they filed their own counter-claim, separate from Blizzard's. Source is an interview I can't find... And maybe I'm incorrect. Wasn't aware of Dota-Allstars being controlled by Blizzard. They also stated (in the same interview) that if they had the trademark themselves, they'd keep it free to use.
    That's likely because with their current plans, they only plan to build a mod. There is no direct financial gain for making Blizzard Dota, but as I explained in my previous post, it can lead to an increase of sales for SC2. Seeing as Blizzard Dota does not have a large crew working on it, it is more than plausible this was their intent from the beginning, as there isn't a lot of cash lost for developing Blizzard Dota.

Blizzard leaves the name un-copyrighted and lets a massive 3rd party community utilize their servers and their game for their use. Even holds DotA tournaments. Valve comes along and tries to take the trademark and make money off it themselves. Blizzard decides if someone is gonna try and steal it, they might as well trademark it to prevent that. Yet because its Blizzard, they are scumbags. If it were the other way around and Blizzard was stealing a HL mod or something (lets say Counter-Strike since thats a super popular one, despite the fact that would be impossible nowadays) you would all STILL be against Blizzard, because its Blizzard. No other reason.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

10+ Year Old Account
    They have absolutely ZERO concern about moba. They never did and still don't. That's a PR thing they say to help spin what is clearly a naked attempt to sabotage another companies business and possible competition this year. Do you really honestly expect them to invest any kind of money in some defence of the "community"? They didn't invest a god damned penny into the actual creation of the game. They released tools to let users expand the life of their software so they didn't have to keep adding more. One of those maps becomes insanely popular and now they've decided to cash in on it. They should have got on board AGES ago.
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2012-02-12 at 06:42 AM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vongimi View Post
    Blizzard leaves the name un-copyrighted and lets a massive 3rd party community utilize their servers and their game for their use. Even holds DotA tournaments. Valve comes along and tries to take the trademark and make money off it themselves. Blizzard decides if someone is gonna try and steal it, they might as well trademark it to prevent that. Yet because its Blizzard, they are scumbags. If it were the other way around and Blizzard was stealing a HL mod or something (lets say Counter-Strike since thats a super popular one, despite the fact that would be impossible nowadays) you would all STILL be against Blizzard, because its Blizzard. No other reason.
    No, you're just a blizzard hater.
    Stop hating on blizzard for what they are doing. They feel it's apart of blizzard and that's why they are fighting for it.
    Gtfo, go suck on valve's balls. Stop riding the blizzard hate train.

~ Infracted, don't flame other users.
    Last edited by mmoc8b7a14d456; 2012-02-12 at 07:21 AM.
    -Casual Dad Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by Vongimi View Post
    Blizzard leaves the name un-copyrighted and lets a massive 3rd party community utilize their servers and their game for their use. Even holds DotA tournaments.
    Mods are beneficial for Blizzard. They increase the interest for a game because there is more than just the base game that the company built to play. In other words, the monetary value of the game increases without the company having to lift a finger - They already have to host normal games anyway, it's no different than if a mod is hosted on the servers instead.

As for the tournaments. I believe during Blizzcon 2008, they dropped all support for Dota tournaments(continuing their WC3 tournaments). Furthermore, when IceFrog made contact with Blizzard and informed him of his plans(of Dota2, in other words), they basically laughed at his proposal and sent him away. Valve instead, took IceFrog seriously, and hence, now we have the development of Dota2.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrafros View Post
    Incorrect.

The creator of the original Dota, Eul, is currently employed with Valve.
    Yes, never said otherwise.
    Just said he doesn't own the rights to the original map.

Quote Originally Posted by Freezymcgee View Post
    Blizzard was content to reap the benefits of Icefrogs free labor for several years,
    Now that the cash cow has gone to another farm, they cry foul.

However, this is typical of any big business practice.

Im cheering for Valve in this one.
    I've always rooted for VALVe, one of the few remaining gaming giants that develop games for gamers, not "madden bros" who call themselves gamers. Also, they have an exceptional eye for talent (look at CS, Narbacular Drop, Turtle Rock Studios). They eyed great talent in IceFrog and they should reap the rewards.

Blizzard is a former shell of itself, I hope they lose this lawsuit and never bother VALVe again.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mods are beneficial for Blizzard. They increase the interest for a game because there is more than just the base game that the company built to play.

As for the tournaments. I believe during Blizzcon 2008, they dropped all support for Dota tournaments(continuing their WC3 tournaments). Furthermore, when IceFrog made contact with Blizzard and informed him of his plans(of Dota2, in other words), they basically laughed at his proposal and sent him away. Valve instead, took IceFrog seriously, and hence, now we have the development of Dota2.
    can i see a source for this?
    Please post in an edit, before claiming something as such.
    -Casual Dad Gamer

10+ Year Old Account
    I blame activision for this

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz
    MMO champion for example used to be the center of WoW theorycrafting

Quote Originally Posted by Ighox View Post
    Yes, never said otherwise.
    Just said he doesn't own the rights to the original map.
    Right now, no one does. Valve's not trying to either. They're trying to acquire the Dota trademark for use in their new brand, in order to establish their Dota franchise and help the game flourish.

Like it or not, the Dota name holds prestige. If you can hold it trademarked, you can have a stable game, but if you do not hold it trademarked, you run a giant risk. Like explained in the reddit topic I linked to earlier, it allows anyone to make a Dota 2 - Allstars, or print a load of Dota2 t-shirts to sell commercially, as well as a lot of printed goods. You require a trademark to function, and it'd be the best for Valve in this case if they acquire the Dota trademark, because the name itself will attract people to it.

Right now, no one does. Valve's not trying to either. They're trying to acquire the Dota trademark for use in their new brand, in order to establish their Dota franchise and help the game flourish.

Like it or not, the Dota name holds prestige. If you can hold it trademarked, you can have a stable game, but if you do not hold it trademarked, you run a giant risk. Like explained in the reddit topic I linked to earlier, it allows anyone to make a Dota 2 - Allstars, or print a load of Dota2 t-shirts to sell commercially, as well as a lot of printed goods. You require a trademark to function, and it'd be the best for Valve in this case if they acquire the Dota trademark, because the name itself will attract people to it.
    Even though for years it's been a community thing and a community built game. It's building off of somebody else's work, and it's not just Blizzard's. Why do you think Guinsoo and Pendragon didn't just name LoL DotA2? Why does Valve need the DotA name if LoL and HoN and the other MOBAs didn't? Why, just now, are they deciding they want to be the only true sequel to DotA just because they have a few guys from the original game? Who the hell is really selfish here?

Everyone trying to make Blizzard look like some evil company?

Meh... They just want the same to be free to use for everybody, including themself.

Quote Originally Posted by Borador View Post

Meh... They just want the same to be free to use for everybody, including themself.
    It's since Valve is this magical do no wrong company to so many people. Kinda like how Google was.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Borador View Post

since the announcement of MOP, i've noticed tons of people climbing aboard the blizzard hate train.
    That shit's crowded, and VERY loud. Very annoying.
    -Casual Dad Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    Even though for years it's been a community thing and a community built game. It's building off of somebody else's work, and it's not just Blizzard's. Why do you think Guinsoo and Pendragon didn't just name LoL DotA2? Why does Valve need the DotA name if LoL and HoN and the other MOBAs didn't? Why, just now, are they deciding they want to be the only true sequel to DotA just because they have a few guys from the original game? Who the hell is really selfish here?
    Why not?

You mention the product that everyone has worked together to build up.

Here's a quick post about the history of Dota, posted on reddit.

Eul is DotA's original creator on WC3:RoC. He works for Valve now.
    Guinsoo took over after Eul when WC3:TFT came out (2003) and made Dota-Allstars with Pendragon managing the site www.dota-allstars.com .
    Icefrog took over when Guinsoo abandoned the mod in 2005 and has been developing it since. Pendragon managed the Dota-Allstars site for a while with Icefrog but started introducing advertisements and specifically advertisements for League of Legends (part of the hate for LoL comes from this and some other stuff Pendragon did).
    Pendragon later brought down www.dota-allstars.com after disagreements with Icefrog (advertising on the site among other things) and wrote a big piece that was an attempt at soiling Icefrog's name and was overall propaganda serving as an advertisement for (guess what) League of Legends. He promised to archive the forums (that contained tons of history on DotA, suggestions, mechanics posts among other things) and he never did.
    Overall Pendragon is a scumbag that earned the scorn of the DotA community and if you ever wondered why LoL is so hated among this community it's mostly because of him.
    As for their reasoning to not call their own game Dota2, it's most likely because they were afraid of the EULA. That, or they simply wanted to make their game have another name.

Is it unfair for the guy that took on the Dota map after it's creators dumped it, and continued it for 5 years, receive recognition as well as the trademark? To add on top of that, the person who actually -thought- of the name, is also with Valve.
    Last edited by Terrafros; 2012-02-12 at 07:00 AM.

Ugh. Valve has no real claim on the name DotA. It was a Community Mod for a Blizzard game and has been part of Blizzard's community since its creation. It is a part of Blizzard. Now, I love Valve as much as any other PC gamer but Blizzard is 100% in the right here and the people pretending otherwise just don't like anything Blizzard does. I think it's the people pretending Blizzard has no claim on DotA are the ones being immature.
    One day I look forward to seeing full grown adults realize that their averse reactions to levity and positive/contemplative expressions of emotion are a cry for therapy.

As far as i can see it was made using a blizzard game therefore regardless of who was making it the game still belongs to blizzard...
    "Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable."
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

General George S Patton

I love Valve to death, but I think Blizzard's completely right in this case.

Why not?

You mention the product that everyone has worked together to build up.

Here's a quick post about the history of Dota, posted on reddit.

As for their reasoning to not call their own game Dota2, it's most likely because they were afraid of the EULA. That, or they simply wanted to make their game have another name.

Is it unfair for the guy that took on the Dota map after it's creators dumped it, and continued it for 5 years, receive recognition as well as the trademark? To add on top of that, the person who actually -thought- of the name, is also with Valve.
    Sounds completely unbiased, credible and not bitter at all Gotta love all the sources too.

It doesn't matter who thought of the name either. It's what it's associated with, and obviously, more than one person has a claim to that.

It's also worth mentioning that Valve's the one who seems to want it for their own personal use only, while Riot doesn't.
    Last edited by Caiada; 2012-02-12 at 07:04 AM.

I just think it's hilarious that they're putting forth any time and effort into this lawsuit when they could be focusing on bringing back subs and improving their product. This lawsuit speaks volumes for their self confidence in their products. They honestly believe that people will stop playing their games because of the name/acronym "DoTA"

Hail Thor-show thy might. Let thunder roar and lightning strike!
    Hurl thy hammer into the fray. And let thine enemies know fear this day!
    VICTORY, OR VALHALLA!!!