Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguintamer View Post
    And yea, as others have said, who do you think is making this lawsuit-related fuss? The class and dungeon developers? The art team? No, that would be their legal team. The team that has nothing to do with content creation.
    Absolutely correct. Never forget that the developers themselves have little to do with this, this is mostly the work of publishers and legal teams.

I just personally enjoy engaging in conversation about this subject. It seems many people, in my point of view, still have a flawed perspective of things. But perhaps, in the end, it is me myself that has the flawed perspective. I can only find out one way - trying to present my arguments and taking my time to see the counterarguments presented to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguintamer View Post
    Considering Blizzard's working on a future DotA project, A dOtA-style battleground, and stuff like that, I'm not blaming them at all for it. The term should be free to use, not copyrighted by one gaming company.

And yea, as others have said, who do you think is making this lawsuit-related fuss? The class and dungeon developers? The art team? No, that would be their legal team. The team that has nothing to do with content creation.
    They're still shelling out tons of cash to their legal teams for court fees and legislature in order to fight for "DoTA" whereas they could put said funds into their products. That's all I'm sayin'

Hail Thor-show thy might. Let thunder roar and lightning strike!
    Hurl thy hammer into the fray. And let thine enemies know fear this day!
    VICTORY, OR VALHALLA!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    They had every opportunity to capitalize on it in the past but snubbed their noses at it. The actual people who did all the work making the game have moved to another company and rightly deserved the credit for the game they made. If an artisan uses a tool made my mikita or snap on you don't credit them with the artisans work. If an artisan proudly displays his work you don't credit the institution that let him display it. Valve hired the people behind the map to make a sequel to the map THEY MADE. End of story. All the spin about community they put behind it is 1984.
    You're trying to compare apples to oranges. Snap-On doesn't hand you a premade house, and the parts for the shit to furnish the house with the purchase of that house, with the caveat that while you can use their tools and their parts to build furniture for the house, they still own the house and everything in it.

Yes, they made the map. They made the map with a builder and art assets owned by Blizzard. If they wanted to use SC2 to make a followup, they'd still be using Blizzard art assets and builders. But by Valve trying to make money off of somethign made using Blizzard art assets and builders, Blizzard is fully within their rights to call party foul, regardless of whether or not it's for the community.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    Them legally owning it means anybody else would have to pay to use it.
    Not completely true.

Trademark owners choose to use them as they see fit. As people here put a lot of goodwill on Blizzard to acquire and then freely distribute the Dota trademark(make no mistake, they -are- trying to acquire it if Valve fails with their claim), who is to say Valve is not lenient with their use of the Dota trademark?

---------- Post added 2012-02-12 at 08:25 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    Yes, they made the map. They made the map with a builder and art assets owned by Blizzard. If they wanted to use SC2 to make a followup, they'd still be using Blizzard art assets and builders. But by Valve trying to make money off of somethign made using Blizzard art assets and builders, Blizzard is fully within their rights to call party foul, regardless of whether or not it's for the community.
    Again, Valve is not using direct Blizzard assets. What they're doing is rebuilding the mechanics of the original game, while using the assets from the original as an inspiration for the visual design of the game. Everything you find from Dota2 is 100% visually original.

Deleted
    If you wish to voice your opinion on this matter, please use the already existing thread.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Over-DOTA-Name